Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Looks like if I want handoff/airdrop/continuity etc. to work, I'd need plug the BT on the card to an internal USB anyway.

Is this correct?

I can't seem to find out why the BT won't work in BIOS when it's plugged into the F_USB header. Should it work? I'm using the FENVI card, but the MQUPIN branded version.
At the top of the Z490 Vision D build thread I posted the note below some time ago as a result of this user experience. This does not mean all MQUPIN cards will exhibit problems, but some of them have been known to cause issues.

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 11.59.52 AM.png

BT cable should be plugged into F_USB header on motherboard. Bluetooth should be workable in macOS. Which version of OpenCore do you have at the moment?

At the top of the Z490 Vision D build thread I posted the note below some time ago as a result of this user experience. This does not mean all MQUPIN cards will exhibit problems, but some of them have been known to cause issues.

View attachment 533448

BT cable should be plugged into F_USB header on motherboard. Bluetooth should be workable in macOS. Which version of OpenCore do you have at the moment?
It does work when plugged into the F_USB, but not in BIOS or during boot.

I’m trying to plug it into a PCIe USB 2.0 card to the internal USB type A port it has. When I do that, Bluetooth works in BIOS / at boot, but fails to be enabled when I get to the desktop after booting.

It seems I need to set the respective port on the PCIe card to 255 with USBMap.kext

Does this sound like it should work? I’m messing around right now with a USB mapping script to create the kext.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ and/or @Elias64Fr.
Sorry if this might be the wrong forum for my problem but I need some help with my two Thunderbolt 3 TitanRidge cards flashed with @Elias64Fr:s DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr firmware. Both my two cards are working flawlessly on my rig with two out of maybe ten different BIOS from ASUS. The newest one from ASUS (3406) which, unfortunately, doesn't work at all with my cards. I found out that there might be some problems with the powermanagment/ACPI tables because the ACPI names in the path are different in the new BIOS than those in the old. Could this be the culprit or is it maybe some irresolvable problems with the BIOS.

With my old BIOS each card is showing up four enumerated ports HS01,HS02 and SS01,SS02( with my edited Thunderbolt SSDT only SS01 and SS02) in IOReg. With the new BIOS the card is showing up but there is no enumerated ports and attached USB-C devices are not connecting. I have seen this with other versions of BIOSes for my Asus C422 rig. Some are working fine with my two Titan Ridge cards and other does not. Thunderbolt seems to work because my external Thunderbolt disk is working.

Enclosed you will find IOReg from my working respectively not working bios. Running OpenCore 0.7.5.
Happy for any help?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IOReg.zip
    18 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I've had this build since Jan of last year, thanks for all of the info @CaseySJ! I've been on Mojave with Clover as bootloader for a while now and finally decided it was time to update to MacOS Monterey. I've been trying to get an installer USB prepped with OpenCore and am stuck. I followed the instructions here, except with Monterey and OpenCore 0.7.5 (from this thread). I've re-tried the steps probably a half-dozen times and I can't boot the installer. With the -v boot arg, after I select the Installer from the OpenCore Picker, I just see ~20 lines print out with a few errors like:

Code:
#[EB.BST.FBS|!] Err(0xE) <- EB.HR.LRH

I'm assuming I'm just making some rookie mistake since I've never used OpenCore before. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Hi @CaseySJ and/or @Elias64Fr.
Sorry if this might be the wrong forum for my problem but I need some help with my two Thunderbolt 3 TitanRidge cards flashed with @Elias64Fr:s DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr firmware. Both my two cards are working flawlessly on my rig with two out of maybe ten different BIOS from ASUS. The newest one from ASUS (3406) which, unfortunately, doesn't work at all with my cards. I found out that there might be some problems with the powermanagment/ACPI tables because the ACPI names in the path are different in the new BIOS than those in the old. Could this be the culprit or is it maybe some irresolvable problems with the BIOS.

With my old BIOS each card is showing up four enumerated ports HS01,HS02 and SS01,SS02( with my edited Thunderbolt SSDT only SS01 and SS02) in IOReg. With the new BIOS the card is showing up but there is no enumerated ports and attached USB-C devices are not connecting. I have seen this with other versions of BIOSes for my Asus C422 rig. Some are working fine with my two Titan Ridge cards and other does not. Thunderbolt seems to work because my external Thunderbolt disk is working.

Enclosed you will find IOReg from my working respectively not working bios. Running OpenCore 0.7.5.
Happy for any help?
@obus

We also have this issue on Z390 Designare after with BIOS firmware F9j. New feature "Support Resize BAR function (SAM)" is probably the cause.

On first page, you can see that F9j is avoid :

Capture d’écran 2021-11-08 à 10.40.37.png

For your motherboard, I can see that this feature is included on BIOS 3405 version and after :

Capture d’écran 2021-11-08 à 10.47.55.png

You can confirm that your XHCI USB-C issue doesn't appear before 3405 version.

Unfortunately, we haven't found a solution yet.

Another remark on your IOReg files, I can see that 2 SSDT files for Thunderbolt devices aren't properly loaded : For your two Thunderbolt tree, devices aren't renamed to UPSB, DSB0,...

Could you send us your System log file (Hackintool > Logs > System > Refresh data > copy all on a TXT file )?

Last edited:
I've had this build since Jan of last year, thanks for all of the info @CaseySJ! I've been on Mojave with Clover as bootloader for a while now and finally decided it was time to update to MacOS Monterey. I've been trying to get an installer USB prepped with OpenCore and am stuck. I followed the instructions here, except with Monterey and OpenCore 0.7.5 (from this thread). I've re-tried the steps probably a half-dozen times and I can't boot the installer. With the -v boot arg, after I select the Installer from the OpenCore Picker, I just see ~20 lines print out with a few errors like:

Code:

I'm assuming I'm just making some rookie mistake since I've never used OpenCore before. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks
Please see this guide for replacing Clover with OpenCore:
If you subsequently run into problems, feel free to post.

Code:

Hello !! You can try, if you wish, this EFI Clover 5142 (necessary for Monterey) which I made for my pleasure. It is functional with my Designare Z390 configuration ... You just have to indicate in the SMBIOS section your serial numbers etc. I recommend to use the iMac19,1 SMBIOS ... because T2 SMBIOS chips (like iMacPro1,1) require, in the RTVariables section the addition of an HWTarget key. You can ask me if you want ...
To possibly modify the included config.plist I recommend you to use either Plist editor or Clover Configurator in its latest version (imperative) 5.19.0.0. because it allows in case of modification of the SMBIOS to keep the ExtendedFirmWares in the SMBIOS essential for the installation of Monterey.
PS : Look at the bootargs you are currently using, especially if there are any that are necessary for your graphics card ...par exemple...
PS2 : If necessary, and if he has the time, I would like to have the opinion of Casey the chief !!

Attachments

• EFI copie.zip
    26.5 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Let's revise the experiment as follows:
  1. Set your idle sleep time to about 5 minutes.
  2. Leave the system alone.
  3. Let it try to enter sleep.
  4. If the monitor goes dark, but fans continue to spin, give it a full 90 seconds. Don't touch or interrupt the system.
  5. If the fans stay on after 90 seconds, press a key to turn on the monitor.
  6. Then wait about 5 minutes for a second sleep cycle to begin.
  7. Repeat steps 2 through 5.
  8. Now run the command below in Terminal. This will create a file in Documents folder called sleep-log.txt. Compress and post the file.
Bash:
pmset -g log | tail -1000 > ~/Documents/sleep-log.txt
@CaseySJ Sorry for a long time in getting this back, but I'm on a crazy workload, and this Hackintosh is my workstation.

I have the compressed log attached.
EDIT: I'm also attaching the print for my stopwatch, so I can get a reference for the timestamps.

EDIT 2: I think I have a major news in this case - If I log off my user account, the system WILL ENTER SLEEP within 5 minutes of idle time.

Attachments

• sleep-log.txt.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 39
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-11-08 at 10.35.50.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-08 at 10.35.50.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Today my new 1TB NVMe from Western Digital arrived (model WD_Black SN750 1TB WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0). I clone my internal Samsung 750 EVO 1TB on the new WD_Black. Result: much faster when booting, no more delays (<-Trim problem on Samsung NVMe models).

Note: I tested the BIOS F9j to get or activate the Resizable Bar in BIOS. Result: it is neither profitable under Windows 10/11 nor under MacOS Big Sur / MacOS Monterey. Especially under MacOS Big Sur there were random freezes and the complete failure of Thunderbolt. MacOS Monterey ran without any problems. I switched back to BIOS F9g anyway, because I'm still using Big Sur.

Hi @Elias64Fr
Thank's for your support.
Systemlog as requested.
The New feature "Support Resize BAR function (SAM)" is probably Not the cause because I have had this problem with 90% of all the old bios. There is only two bios working for may rig (1202 and 3003). Both of them is more than one year old. Support Rezise Bar is the function I need and that's why I'm trying to solve this problem. I'm now on 3003 and this bios is working flawlessly with my two cards.

Attachments

• Hackintool_Systemlog.rtf.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back