Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Looking for some help.

I used this guide to create my Hackintosh when Mojave was out and everything has been working fine. I followed the directions to a T and have all the correct components. Recently I tried to update my Adobe Creative Cloud to the latest updates (photoshop, after effects, premiere, etc) but I can not run or install them unless I upgrade the OS. I never went beyond Mojave because everything was working fine and I didn't want to break anything.
Question is, I now would like to upgrade to Monterey, where would I need to pickup to start following the correct procedure? I know I shouldn't just run the update from the App Store.
Any advise is much appreciated.
With a little bit of patience and care, it should be straightforward to upgrade. Let's take a look at the high-level procedure:
  1. Make a full bootable backup of Mojave. No excuses. This is an absolute requirement.
  2. Install BIOS F9g or F9i and disable CFG-Lock from Boot section of BIOS Setup.
    • The configure all BIOS parameters starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
    • Refer to Post 1. Open the spoiler Firmware F8 and Newer to see all BIOS settings.
  3. Replace Clover with OpenCore.
  4. Verify that Mojave works with OpenCore.
  5. Once you're satisfied with the changes made so far, you're ready to perform an in-place upgrade to Monterey from System Preferences --> Software Update.
Here are the relevant links from the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1:
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 9.13.58 AM.png

Last edited:
Changing your System Product Name will not solve the Monterey installation problem.
  • If you compress and post your EFI folder (but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo --> DataHub) I can take a closer look at your configuration.
  • Also boot into Big Sur and post a screenshot of /Library/Extensions folder.
There they are!.
The EFI folder, with no info at DataHUb in file config.plist, and the main Library Extensions folder.
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 18.19.20.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 18.19.20.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 41
Thanks @CaseySJ

I'm not sure if you want me to follow the link after that link (I have Vega 56)? Is that info from a year ago still relevant? I installed VideoProc and did a scan as suggested:
That's a good sign. Does Final Cut Pro stutter on all HEVC (H.265) video files or only some specific ones?

Hopefully other Final Cut Pro users can provide some hints.

There they are!.
The EFI folder, with no info at DataHUb in file config.plist, and the main Library Extensions folder.
Thank you for your help.
Please try attached EFI folder:
  • Backup your existing one
  • Rename attached top-level folder name to just EFI
  • Copy serial numbers back into PlatformInfo --> DataHub
First check that Big Sur boots with this EFI configuration. Then try the Monterey upgrade.

Attachments

• EFI-errabundo.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 81
Please try attached EFI folder:
  • Backup your existing one
  • Rename attached top-level folder name to just EFI
  • Copy serial numbers back into PlatformInfo --> DataHub
First check that Big Sur boots with this EFI configuration. Then try the Monterey upgrade.
Just a rapid response:
Yes, BigSur boots OK.
After that, I tried to boot in OpenCore from the second Macintosh HD (the temporary HD created by the Monterey installer), but it reboots when the bar is at 5-10%.

I'll try again from the Monterey installer application, but it takes longer as it has to rewrite all files.

Talk to you in a while!
Thx

Just a rapid response:
Yes, BigSur boots OK.
After that, I tried to boot in OpenCore from the second Macintosh HD (the temporary HD created by the Monterey installer), but it reboots when the bar is at 5-10%.

I'll try again from the Monterey installer application, but it takes longer as it has to rewrite all files.

Talk to you in a while!
Thx
A great success!!!

After re-installing from the Monterey App, now it passed the problematic point, and re-booted several more times, but at this case, with the bar growing!! And a final rebbot with the "10 minutes left" etc message.

This morning I tried the same procedure (starting several times from the Monterey App) with the negative result.

I'm not sure what you changed at the EFI folder, but it worked!
In my EFI folders, the only thing I use to add from the original one is related to my Sleep problem, always solved with the "Comment: change Method(GPRW,2,N) to XPRW, pair with SSDT-GPRW.aml" method, and I see you kept that at the EFI file you provided me.

Thank you for your help @CaseySJ !!

I have been using an ACPI patch I picked up in this thread for activating egpu on Z390 since Mojave up to Big Sur: SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-EGPU-NO-HOTPLUG.aml.

Sadly, it doesn't work anymore in Monterey (since beta 8). Is there an update?

1. Get Hackintosh up and running with opencore
2. Get another SSD to install windows 11 on.
3. unplug the hackintosh SSD while installing windows 11.
4. when windows 11 is working fine, plug the SSD with MacOS back in, and set that as first boot device.
5. Find both your volumes in opencore picker, and control + enter the MacOS Partition, cause it's highly illegal to have windows 11 as the primary boot. ;)

This is the easiest way, to prevent f**ing up your boot. =)

Fair warning to anyone who wants to add Ubuntu to NVMe hackintosh, even if it's on another drive... Ubuntu boot config does not play well with OC

Re messing up hackintosh in EFI in dual-boot scenarios. I installed Win10 and upgraded to Win11 on a SATA drive with OC / Big Sur on NVMe, and this caused no problems for the NVMe. But adding Ubuntu to the same SATA drive repeatedly clobbers the NVMe EFI folder even though

To be clear:
NVMe: OC+MacOS
SATA: Ubuntu, Windows

I am careful to tell Unity (Ubuntu's installer) that the installation is on the SATA. It puts Ubuntu where I want, updates that drives boot loader, then goes ahead on its own and writes over the NVMe anyway — including when performing yearly incremental dist-upgrades e.g. 21.10.

Ubuntu Unity overwrites:
EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
and adds an EFI/Ubuntu folder which sometimes gets seen by the chain loader associated with dual-boot Windows / Ubuntu when booting from the SATA.

When Unity skroggs the NVMe EFI part, it doesn't touch the EFI/OC folder, so you won't lose your hack configuration, but the whole thing is still a PITA.

Beyond having Unity working behind my back, the general capability of boot-loaders from one OS realm to load neighbor OSes turns into a byzantine labyrinth of confusion over what will happen where choosing one thing in the BIOS leads to another whether you intended it or not which means keep a level head when trouble-shooting.

I submitted a bug report at Canonical 6 mos ago and there was a follow-up question from their support which I answered, but when Ubuntu 21.10 came out, my NVMe EFI got stepped on again. So they either are clueless or don't think the behavior of jacking the EFI on a drive unrelated to the install is a problem. (Linus Toralds was right when he saw EFI coming decades ago and raised the red flag: EFI architecture is a nightmare.)

It amuse me to note that Windows has been well behaved for me by comparison, it's installers don't mess with any device except the target and multi-boot is not disturbed by its machinations. And Apple doesn't really use the EFI partition except as a temporary area, while hackers are using it to end-run Apple, so it all feels delightfully bizarre.

I keep a USB stick around with a known-good OC EFI so I can boot and fix the NVMe when this happens. But when also testing MacOS updates, OC updates, and config adjustments for problematic HW, keeping track of which OC vs which Mac while having 3rd party trounce EFI is exhausting.

I suppose this should be posted over in Boot Loaders but I am too pooped keeping track of this forum's insane filing system to worry about it. Maybe someone will find this vital lore over here on page 3404 of 'Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580'

With a little bit of patience and care, it should be straightforward to upgrade. Let's take a look at the high-level procedure:
  1. Make a full bootable backup of Mojave. No excuses. This is an absolute requirement.
  2. Install BIOS F9g or F9i and disable CFG-Lock from Boot section of BIOS Setup.
    • The configure all BIOS parameters starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
    • Refer to Post 1. Open the spoiler Firmware F8 and Newer to see all BIOS settings.
  3. Replace Clover with OpenCore.
  4. Verify that Mojave works with OpenCore.
  5. Once you're satisfied with the changes made so far, you're ready to perform an in-place upgrade to Monterey from System Preferences --> Software Update.
Here are the relevant links from the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1:
View attachment 532615
I have gotten to the step Replace Clover with OpenCore and read the mini guide but the guide says to follow four steps that are fully described in the OpenCore 0.7.0 guide below, which has been replaced with instructions to proceed with using HackinDROM app. HackinDROM app does not work in Mojave so I went to go use the online version. There really are no instructions. I have used Clover to get all the necessary data like SMUUID and such but I'm not sure what to do. I have downloaded pre-configured OpenCore EFI. Very confused.

I have gotten to the step Replace Clover with OpenCore and read the mini guide but the guide says to follow four steps that are fully described in the OpenCore 0.7.0 guide below, which has been replaced with instructions to proceed with using HackinDROM app. HackinDROM app does not work in Mojave so I went to go use the online version. There really are no instructions. I have used Clover to get all the necessary data like SMUUID and such but I'm not sure what to do. I have downloaded pre-configured OpenCore EFI. Very confused.
No worries. Configuring OpenCore EFI is quite easy as follows:
  1. Download OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI folder from this post.
  2. Inside the folder is a sub-folder named EFI
  3. Open the EFI/OC folder. Inside you'll find two .plist files.
  4. Because you have an AMD GPU, rename the file config-AMD-GPU.plist to just config.plist.
  5. Download OpenCore Configurator version 2.62.0.0 (yes, only this specific version) by clicking here.
  6. Launch OpenCore Configurator. MacOS will throw a warning because this was downloaded from the Internet. Just go to System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General tab, and click Allow from the bottom right.
  7. Look at the title bar of OpenCore Configurator. Does it say OpenCore 0.8.3 Release Configuration? If not, follow these screenshots:
    Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 12.14.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.40.11 PM.png
  8. Now open config.plist from step 4 using OpenCore Configurator. Take a moment to flip through each of the sections on the left side. Get to know briefly what's there. This will become the central focus of your Hackintosh life!!
  9. Run Hackintool (it can downloaded from here by clicking Hackintool.zip).
  10. Launch Hackintool and keep it running.
  11. Now go back to OpenCore Configurator and select PlatformInfo --> DataHub
  12. Copy and paste the items below from Hackintool to OpenCore Configurator:
    Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 12.20.41 PM.png
  13. Be very careful -- double-check everything.
  14. Save the file (CMD-S).
Now you're ready to test the new OpenCore configuration:
  1. Use a USB flash disk that has EFI partition. Or find a blank USB disk and format it in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Anything
    • Format: FAT32 (any option is okay)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  2. Mount EFI partition of USB flash disk.
  3. Copy the entire new EFI folder to the root level of the EFI partition on USB flash disk.
Now test to see if macOS will still work:
  • Reboot
  • When Gigabyte Splash screen appears, press F12 to open BIOS Boot Menu
  • Select the USB flash disk
  • You should see the new OpenCore Canopy (graphical boot picker)
  • Select your macOS disk
  • Does macOS boot up?
    • If so, use macOS for a little while to make sure everything is okay
    • Check your WiFi, Bluetooth, Audio, Ethernet ports, etc.
    • Check Sleep/Wake behavior
Once you're satisfied that macOS is working normally, do the following:
  • Mount the EFI partition of (a) macOS NVMe SSD and (b) USB flash disk.
  • In the macOS EFI partition, rename the "EFI" folder to something like "EFI-Clover"
  • Then copy the EFI folder from USB EFI partition to macOS EFI partition
  • Eject the USB flash disk
  • Reboot and let system boot from internal macOS SSD
  • Does it boot up properly?
If so, you're ready to begin System Preferences --> Software Update.

Last edited:
Back