Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello,

Sorry for the noob question.

Would it be possible to have a mini-guide to install Windows 11 and dual boot ? I’m afraid to do it without messing my efi partition or else.
(Thanks again Casey and others for the best support, everything is running so smooth for years update after update..)

Only Big Sur is installed on M1 Nvme disk . (OC 7.4)
I have a sata SSD that could be used for Windows but i rather keep it for storage if possible.
Can i partition the Nvme disk to install Windows ?
If not, can I install Windows on the sata SSD without removing the Nvme disk (someone built the pc for me)
Do i have to change bios settings ?

thanks for your help !

Hello,

Would it be possible to have a mini-guide to install Windows 11 and dual boot ? I’m afraid to do it without messing my efi partition or else.
(Thanks again Casey and others for the best support, everything is running so smooth for years update after update..)

I have a sata SSD that could be used for Windows but i rather keep it for storage if possible.
If not, can I install Windows on the sata SSD without removing the Nvme disk (someone built the pc for me)

thanks for your help !

1. Get Hackintosh up and running with opencore
2. Get another SSD to install windows 11 on.
3. unplug the hackintosh SSD while installing windows 11.
4. when windows 11 is working fine, plug the SSD with MacOS back in, and set that as first boot device.
5. Find both your volumes in opencore picker, and control + enter the MacOS Partition, cause it's highly illegal to have windows 11 as the primary boot. ;)

This is the easiest way, to prevent f**ing up your boot. =)

Good morning everybody, @CaseySJ , I need your help. I have Z390, 5700.. 970pro. I made Monterey boot disk, boots perfect, but on the first boot the screen goes black and boots the system, getting in a loop. I'm using EFI 0.74, original without changing anything, only the machine configuration numbers 19.1 .. Can you tell me if I have to change something? I'm trying to do a clean install.

I have a Samsung 970 EVO plus 500Gb. Read/Write speeds are ~3000Mb/s, so no complaints there. Tbh I never bothered with the boot time, which is 27 seconds from OC-picker to login. But then again my mid-2009 MBP (max spec 3.06Ghz :thumbup: ) boots faster than that..
result:

So trims took 18s, about half of what others posted for a 1TB Samsung 970-type drive - makes sense I guess

PS: I got the gigabit i211-port working with @Shaneee 's modified 'AppleI2xx.kext' - works flawless so far, but have only tried for a few hours.
where did you find the ethernet driver? I googled it and checked Shaneee's posts and didn't see it

** Experiencing Slow Boot Times in Monterey? **​

My results with : Z390 Designare and

NVME : Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 SSD Interne 1To : (disk8s2s1)---> 55 seconds from OC-picker to login

kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk8 scan took 45.489087 s, trims took 45.385086 s

SSD Sata :
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk6 scan took 2.321210 s, trims took 2.291902 s

SSD Sata :
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 2.537481 s, trims took 0.016535 s

Samsung Portable SSD X5 TB3 :when Use it to boot ----> 35 seconds from OC-picker to login
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk4 scan took 8.384941 s, trims took 8.382608 s

kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk4 scan took 23.627690 s, trims took 23.603839 s

EDIT :
with : Z390 M Gaming and NVME : Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 SSD Interne 1To (the same than on Designare) 28 seconds from OC-picker to login

Last edited:
where did you find the ethernet driver? I googled it and checked Shaneee's posts and didn't see it
It was posted elsewhere on the internet, hope it is OK to post here.
The kext works stable for me but will break the connection as soon as the system goes to sleep. Only re-boot will re-enable the i211 ethernet port. The regular old AppleIGB.kext seems to work the same. Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-28 um 18.17.17.png

Attachments

• AppleI2xx.kext.zip
    69.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
This also shows normal sleep/wake. What I am looking for is something like this:
  • 2021-10-26 09:00:00 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to idle period (or something like that)
  • 2021-10-26 09:00:02 Wake due to: blah blah blah
Notice that there's a time difference of 2 seconds between Sleep and Wake. So let's try this experiment:
  1. Set your idle sleep time to about 5 minutes.
  2. Leave the system alone.
  3. Let it try to enter sleep.
  4. If the monitor goes dark, but fans continue to spin, give it a full 90 seconds. Don't touch or interrupt the system.
  5. If the fans stay on after 90 seconds, press a key to turn on the monitor.
  6. Then wait about 5 minutes for a second sleep cycle to begin.
  7. Repeat steps 2 through 5.
  8. Now grab the sleep/wake log once again.
Bash:
pmset -g log | grep -e "Sleep.*due to" -e "Wake.*due to"

Hi @CaseySJ

I did that experiment, and to my surprise, it didn't affect the log at all:

Code:
2021-10-26 05:17:30 -0300 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 7205 secs
2021-10-26 07:17:35 -0300 DarkWake                DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 45 secs
2021-10-26 07:18:20 -0300 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 4338 secs
2021-10-26 08:30:38 -0300 Wake                    Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to XDCI CNVW USBW/User Using AC (Charge:0%)
2021-10-26 23:47:20 -0300 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=153':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using AC (Charge:0%) 38863 secs
2021-10-27 10:35:03 -0300 Wake                    Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to XDCI CNVW USBW/User Using AC (Charge:0%)

Now, 2021-10-26 23:47:20 is the time I went to bed yesterday, and again I manually triggered the sleep process.
This morning the computer was still sleeping, and I woke it up around 10h30.

After that, I did the tests you requested, and they don't even show up on the log.

It was posted elsewhere on the internet, hope it is OK to post here.
The kext works stable for me but will break the connection as soon as the system goes to sleep. Only re-boot will re-enable the i211 ethernet port. The regular old AppleIGB.kext seems to work the same.View attachment 532401
thanks i'll try it, mine does not work at all i'm using both on boards one for Dante Audio and then standard. My Dante is still up but the other is "dead Jim"

Hello,

thanks for your help !
Hello @Yobuild,

I was able to install Windows 11 on my B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen) Hackintosh without having to remove any macOS NVMe SSDs. But others were unable to do so, and for them it was necessary to physically remove macOS NVMe SSDs.

So I do not know whether you will or will not need to remove your macOS NVMe SSD. But you can try first with the macOS NVMe SSD installed.

Guidelines for installing Windows 11 are the same as for Windows 10, except for the need to enable Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) in BIOS. This will not affect macOS so it's safe to do so.

After this BIOS modification is done, then simply follow the guidelines here:

Back