Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@pierceal It would be nice to know how the 6800/XT/6900XT performed in these same workloads. I agree that this is pretty poor for the W6800.
I originally thought I was VRAM limited because of how the Vega was behaving. The largest amount of time is used rendering the FCPX noise reduction effect. I may try neat video to see if that is faster. But even then the Vega may still be on par with the W6800.

This also shows normal sleep/wake. What I am looking for is something like this:
  • 2021-10-26 09:00:00 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to idle period (or something like that)
  • 2021-10-26 09:00:02 Wake due to: blah blah blah
Notice that there's a time difference of 2 seconds between Sleep and Wake. So let's try this experiment:
  1. Set your idle sleep time to about 5 minutes.
  2. Leave the system alone.
  3. Let it try to enter sleep.
  4. If the monitor goes dark, but fans continue to spin, give it a full 90 seconds. Don't touch or interrupt the system.
  5. If the fans stay on after 90 seconds, press a key to turn on the monitor.
  6. Then wait about 5 minutes for a second sleep cycle to begin.
  7. Repeat steps 2 through 5.
  8. Now grab the sleep/wake log once again.
Bash:
pmset -g log | grep -e "Sleep.*due to" -e "Wake.*due to"

Hi @CaseySJ

I did that experiment, and to my surprise, it didn't affect the log at all:

Code:
2021-10-26 05:17:30 -0300 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 7205 secs
2021-10-26 07:17:35 -0300 DarkWake                DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 45 secs
2021-10-26 07:18:20 -0300 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 4338 secs
2021-10-26 08:30:38 -0300 Wake                    Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to XDCI CNVW USBW/User Using AC (Charge:0%)
2021-10-26 23:47:20 -0300 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=153':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using AC (Charge:0%) 38863 secs
2021-10-27 10:35:03 -0300 Wake                    Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to XDCI CNVW USBW/User Using AC (Charge:0%)

Now, 2021-10-26 23:47:20 is the time I went to bed yesterday, and again I manually triggered the sleep process.
This morning the computer was still sleeping, and I woke it up around 10h30.

After that, I did the tests you requested, and they don't even show up on the log.

I may need to create a formal one soon. But in the meantime, please use this one (only 3 steps):
Note that on Z390 Designare the Intel i211 Ethernet port (closest to WiFi connector) will not work in Monterey. The other Ethernet port will work.

Thanks! Although I was actually thinking about doing a clean install, so might wait for the guide, because I'm running Clover now and think it might be a good idea to go over to OpenCore. Or is it?

Thanks! Although I was actually thinking about doing a clean install, so might wait for the guide, because I'm running Clover now and think it might be a good idea to go over to OpenCore. Or is it?
It's possible and recommended to migrate from Clover to OpenCore on the same version of macOS. After ensuring that OpenCore is working properly:
  1. We can perform an in-place upgrade to latest macOS.
  2. We can perform a clean install of latest macOS. We can follow the GibMacOS procedure for downloading the full Monterey installer and creating a USB install disk. Then we copy OpenCore EFI folder to EFI partition of the USB install disk and boot from that disk.
    • See Step 1 and Step 2 here, but change references from Big Sur to Monterey.

Last edited:
It's possible and recommended to migrate from Clover to OpenCore on the same version of macOS. After ensuring that OpenCore is working properly:
  1. We can perform an in-place upgrade to latest macOS. A guide for that is provided here.
  2. We can perform a clean installof latest macOS. We can follow the GibMacOS procedure for downloading the full Monterey installer and creating a USB install disk. Then we copy OpenCore EFI folder to EFI partition of the USB install disk and boot from that disk.
    • See Step 1 and Step 2 here, but change references from Big Sur to Monterey.

Oh, I can migrate without starting from scratch? Is there a guide for this too? Thanks!

Oh, I can migrate without starting from scratch? Is there a guide for this too? Thanks!
Yes there is, and it was in your previous reply:

Has anyone had an issue with intelWireless Kext and only getting around 20 MBPS max of wifi speed? I am not able to figure out what the issue is, but it seems to be much slower than all other devices on the network (Fiber 1 GBPS).

Update: I have also tried on the same PC on Windows OS and am getting at least 100 MPBS.

Last edited:
Has anyone had an issue with intelWireless Kext and only getting around 20 MBPS max of wifi speed? I am not able to figure out what the issue is, but it seems to be much slower than all other devices on the network (Fiber 1 GBPS).

Update: I have also tried on the same PC on Windows OS and am getting at least 100 MPBS.
Which version of the kext are you using? (Finder --> Get Info)

IntelMausi 1.0.7 -- I am on the latest 0.7.4 files for OC
Intel Wireless is controlled by AirportItlwm.kext, whereas IntelMausi controls the 1GbE physical Ethernet port on the rear IO panel.

We can also hold OPTION key while clicking the WiFi icon on menu bar. This will show extended properties of the network. What PHY Mode do you see there?

Back