Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ , I'm reading your mini guide to upgrade to Big Sur from Catalalina. Is it still ok to use OC 0.6.3 version? It mentions even earlier version, but just wanted to confirm since it has been over a year.
I just reworded that paragraph as follows:
  • The latest version of OpenCore available at the time you’re reading this should be used.
So as of today, that means OpenCore 0.7.4.

Hi!

Ever since I updated from Catalina to BigSur, my hackintosh won't sleep on its own.
It will sleep properly if I manually trigger through the top-left apple menu, but never by being idle.

I've configured the display sleep time to 1m. The display goes blank but the PC never enters the sleep state.
I'm using the provided open core 0.7.4 EFI

I just reworded that paragraph as follows:
  • The latest version of OpenCore available at the time you’re reading this should be used.
So as of today, that means OpenCore 0.7.4.

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ , makes perfect sense and they guide for OC in place upgrade seems very straightforward. What is the minimum BIOS version Z390 should be on to upgrade to Big Sur with OC 0.7.4? What is the recommended version?

I’ve already selected the first option and returned to Amazon my PCI SATA Card and placed an order for a Syba SI-PEX40064 4 Port that runs a Marvel 88se9215 controller.

It will arrive next week and I’ll let you know.

Problem resolved!

We can update the first post with this PCI SATA card from MZHOU, so anyone that wants to add two more SATA ports to their hackintoshes avoid it. It works perfectly with Windows, but macOS recognize the two ports and only connects with one drive.

Code:
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B099ZCXJLQ/

IMG_6817.jpg

I returned the card to Amazon, ordered a Syba SI-PEX40064 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 card and received an IOCrest PCI Express card based on Marvell 9215 chip that works flawlessly either in Windows or the latest macOS Monterey RC I'm running.

IMG_6813.jpg

Though is not labelled as Syba, the part number on the back is exactly the one I've ordered SI-PEX40064.

IMG_6815.jpg

In Windows 11 Pro, the PCI Express card is detected as a Marvell 88SE9215 SATA 6Gb/s controller

Marvell 9215 PCIe 4xSATA (Windows).png

And macOS reports the 4 new SATA ports under Generic AHCI controllers, but this is only cosmetics as it works perfectly.

I've connected 2 drives to the #3 (10TB WD Red) and #4 (120GB Kingston SSD) connectors of the card because I can handle the cabling in a better way.

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-25 a las 13.43.32.png

The 10TB Western Digital Red hard drive performance is top-notch under Windows, with more than 200MB/s sequential read and write speed, fantastic for a mechanical - not SSD - drive.

CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0h WD RED 10TB (exFAT - PCI SATAx4).PNG

Under macOS Monterey the speed is equivalent.
Captura de pantalla 2021-10-25 a las 13.45.26.png

The issue is closed and I'm ready to migrate data to the new hard drive with confidence.

;)

@DeBilbao

Glad to hear it and thanks for the detailed write up. Will make a note.

@DeBilbao

Glad to hear it and thanks for the detailed write up. Will make a note.

Thanks @CaseySJ

Before migrating data to the new hard drive, I would like to check with you guys:
  • Your preferred File System when using it both for Windows & macOS. Until now I've been using NTFS as the native format for Windows, and Paragon NTFS for Mac as a driver to read and write to them.
  • Your preferred Disk Cloning tool in macOS to copy the full drive to another one
  • Your preferred File Backup tool in macOS to mirror the content of selected folders from a hard drive to an external drive

I'm thinking about moving my storage drives to exFAT so I don't need a third party tool to access the data in read & write mode.

Carbon Copy Cloner seems to be a popular tool, but if there's a free alternative, it will be nice.

Thanks @CaseySJ

Before migrating data to the new hard drive, I would like to check with you guys:
  • Your preferred File System when using it both for Windows & macOS. Until now I've been using NTFS as the native format for Windows, and Paragon NTFS for Mac as a driver to read and write to them.
I think Windows works best with NTFS. I personally use Paragon NTFS on one system and Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Tuxera on another. Both work quite well. Tuxera's product is US$15 for personal license (up to 3 Macs).

• Your preferred Disk Cloning tool in macOS to copy the full drive to another one
Carbon Copy Cloner is my long term favorite. In the Information Age where so much of our lives is stored on a digital medium, it behooves us not to spend a few dollars on a good backup application!

• Your preferred File Backup tool in macOS to mirror the content of selected folders from a hard drive to an external drive
I use ChronoSync for this. I back up my 1TB video folder, 400GB photos folder, and 500GB music folder to an external RAID array using ChronoSync.

Monterey is now out of Beta and has been officially released. Expect the internet to be slooooow tonight!
RC 21A559 is out from Thursday.

hi i have just updated oc 0.7.4 but i have beta on HackindRom

Update works but no RJ45 and wifi is ok

i have reset nvram

same no RJ45 on 12.0.1

have you got an issue ?

Thkx

Last edited:
Back