Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks @CaseySJ always helping us!

I'm running latest macOS Monterey (21A558) from a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe drive, but I have another 500GB WD SN750 NVMe drive with macOS Big Sur and starting from it the result is the same. My third drive is a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe drive that runs Windows 11 Pro and there the drives connected to the PCIe SATA card are detected.

Using both M.2 slots gives you only 3 SATA ports in the Z390 Designare and I have 2 WD Red 3TB and 1 WD Red 8TB drives connected.

I bought the PCI SATA card in Amazon and the only link I can provide is the product link in the shop.

Code:
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B099ZCXJLQ/

It's exactly this one and I haven't found any vendor website for support

Here's the capture of the entries for my SATA card in the IORegistryExplorer, with AppleAHCI entry selected

PRT0@0 has the Kingston drive connected and it's reported my macOS
PRT1@1 has the WD Red 10TB drive connected and it's not detected

And here's the internal SATA ports in the Z390 Designare
Everything looks normal, but I see that the PCIe card is plugged into the second long slot (PEG1), which is x8. Because the SATA card is only x1, please try moving it to a different slot such as the short slot. But if that slot has a WiFi/BT card, then try the bottom long slot, which is x4.

Also check that the WD Red is receiving adequate power from the PSU. Perhaps try temporarily disconnecting one or two of the WD HDDs that are connected to the motherboard SATA ports. Then see if it makes any difference.

Always shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF when connecting and disconnecting SATA drives or moving PCIe cards.

Hey all,

Been struggling for a while now with this card. Got it on amazon - an off-brand FENVI T919 I guess.

Long story short:

It was working "ok" on Catalina. Not great, but ok. Airdrop was a bit flakey for file transfers about half the time. Sidecar, messages, bluetooth devices, handoff all work ok.

I was using ethernet for internet until recently when I had to switch to wifi. Wifi speeds were bad and intermittent - it would stall and pages would frequently hang and not load. I got better wifi speeds and reliability recently by removing the wireless card in this motherboard - i guess there was interference.

For me, Airdop is super useful, and it's always shown up and see my other devices. But, when I try to actually transfer files, it hardly ever initiates the transfer and when it does, it usually fails.

Anyone else have this sort of issue? Wondering if the card is just bad, but everything else seems to work ok.

oh yeah, and sidecar doesn't seem to work anymore either.

I'm on OC 0.7.4 Big Sur 11.6
One thing to try is this procedure:

On the other hand, I posted this some time ago at the top of the Z490 Vision D thread:

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 1.51.16 PM.png

Please try attached config.plist, but copy serial numbers back into NVRAM --> PlatformInfo --> DataHub.
I've put the system to imac 19,1 and copy the serial numbers but it doesn't solve the problem.
It is very frustrating to have seen all the other users switch to Opencore without too much problem with the same configuration especially since the problem occurs right away in the boot sequence. I see the apple and the start of the loading bar then it stops (when i'm not on verbose mode)
Can it be related to the ssdt ?

Everything looks normal, but I see that the PCIe card is plugged into the second long slot (PEG1), which is x8. Because the SATA card is only x1, please try moving it to a different slot such as the short slot. But if that slot has a WiFi/BT card, then try the bottom long slot, which is x4.

Also check that the WD Red is receiving adequate power from the PSU. Perhaps try temporarily disconnecting one or two of the WD HDDs that are connected to the motherboard SATA ports. Then see if it makes any difference.

Always shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF when connecting and disconnecting SATA drives or moving PCIe cards.

Thanks again for your great support @CaseySJ

I've moved the PCIe SATA card fron the PCIEX8 slot to the lower PCIEx4 slot where I have a PCIe to NVMe adapter to get a third M.2 slot in the board.

Unluckily, the result is the same.

This drive demands 5.7watt while reading/writing and 2.8watts while idling, so power shouldn't be an issue as the 550 watt Seasonic Focus GX PSU is more than enough for the load and Windows 11 handles the 10TB drive without a hassle.

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-21 a las 23.05.07.png

Thanks again for your great support @CaseySJ

I've moved the PCIe SATA card fron the PCIEX8 slot to the lower PCIEx4 slot where I have a PCIe to NVMe adapter to get a third M.2 slot in the board.

Unluckily, the result is the same.

This drive demands 5.7watt while reading/writing and 2.8watts while idling, so power shouldn't be an issue as the 550 watt Seasonic Focus GX PSU is more than enough for the load and Windows 11 handles the 10TB drive without a hassle.

View attachment 531575
This is puzzling. I can offer three more suggestions, but these aren‘t particularly convenient:
  1. Try one of the SATA cards listed near the bottom of Post 1.

2. Try a USB 3 externally powered enclosure.

3. Try an external 2-bay or 4-bay powered enclosure that connects either via USB or eSATA. If eSATA, choose a PCIe SATA card that provides eSATA ports.

I've put the system to imac 19,1 and copy the serial numbers but it doesn't solve the problem.
It is very frustrating to have seen all the other users switch to Opencore without too much problem with the same configuration especially since the problem occurs right away in the boot sequence. I see the apple and the start of the loading bar then it stops (when i'm not on verbose mode)
Can it be related to the ssdt ?
Please double-check all BIOS parameters including CFG-Lock (which needs to be disabled).

Then at OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-V to enable Verbose Mode. Then select the macOS boot disk.

When boot process stops, capture and post photo, but remove GPS location information from EXIF before posting.

I have double check CFG-Lock (if i remember it must be disable for OCquirks to work at that time ...)
Is there some special paramater to check in the bios for Opencore that is not necessary for Clover (except CFG-Lock) ?
Here is the last capture with the confif.plist you send

Attachments

• Capture OC error.jpg
    Capture OC error.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
I have double check CFG-Lock (if i remember it must be disable for OCquirks to work at that time ...)
Is there some special paramater to check in the bios for Opencore that is not necessary for Clover (except CFG-Lock) ?
Here is the last capture with the confif.plist you send
In your PlatformInfo --> DataHub section, are all 5 of these fields properly specified?
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 3.38.10 PM.png

This is puzzling. I can offer three more suggestions, but these aren‘t particularly convenient:
  1. Try one of the SATA cards listed near the bottom of Post 1.

2. Try a USB 3 externally powered enclosure.

3. Try an external 2-bay or 4-bay powered enclosure that connects either via USB or eSATA. If eSATA, choose a PCIe SATA card that provides eSATA ports.

I’ve already selected the first option and returned to Amazon my PCI SATA Card and placed an order for a Syba SI-PEX40064 4 Port that runs a Marvel 88se9215 controller.

It will arrive next week and I’ll let you know.

In your PlatformInfo --> DataHub section, are all 5 of these fields properly specified?
View attachment 531583
Yes they are (same values as in config.plist in clover) and the platformNVRAM too ...
I have double check all the parameters since month now .... there is a detail somewhere but where ....

Back