Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm having some trouble getting a bootable backup for Big Sur working. I had one working fine with Catalina. Carbon Copy Cloner seems to report that the APFS replication procedure failed. One question I have is related to first attached screenshot; I am unfamiliar with this snapshot partition, could that be causing a problem? From some research it seems like this might be time machine related, but I don't see the normal system and data volumes so I figured I would bring it up. The second screenshot is what I get when I try to run first aid in disk utility. With these problems, and the lack of a bootable backup due to Carbon Copy Cloner deleting my Catalina one, I'm a bit nervous. Any advice on how I should proceed? I haven't had any issues with Big Sur.
@jlr - CCC can't make a bootable backup of Big Sur (and beyond) because of the way that Apple now secures the system files:

Just google "Carbon Copy Cloner Big Sur" and it should give you a link to the blog where they discuss it. (I tried to insert it here, but I don't think tonymacx86 allows links to external sites)

You're not doing anything wrong: It's not a fault, it's a feature!

I forget the workaround for this. I believe you make a fresh Big Sur install on your backup drive, then use CCC to copy over the files. But I haven't bothered to do this myself yet.

@jlr - CCC can't make a bootable backup of Big Sur....
I've looked at their documentation (by clicking the ? after i got this error), and from what I understand it uses this APFS replication procedure the first time, and then just clones the data volume every other time. I'm having problems with the first backup.

I
Crazy. I updated the BIOS, booted with your EFI and I still get the slow rendering and barely-used GPU in Geekbench. I have no idea anymore.

I even tried Casey's EFI with iMac19,1 (turned the iGPU back on) and it's the same.
I’m sorry to hear that.
Perhaps someone on BigSur can pipe in and report whether or not their GPU is getting fully utilized in Geekbench.

Will try that, I might have been using that one earlier with clover (but it's gone now). Is the fractal SSDT the same as the regular one, just with the internal to external USB change?
I have the same case and do not have sleep/wake issues.

I do not have the front usb 2.0 ports connected, I'm using those for my Fenvi card. I do use the front USB-C and Type A 3.0 ports.

Last edited:
I am editing EFI according to the new OS big-sur installation guide. The HackinDROM page seems to have changed and I can't select OpenCore 0.6.6 as per the guide. I need your help. Thank you

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2021-10-20 19.21.07.png
    スクリーンショット 2021-10-20 19.21.07.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 45
I am editing EFI according to the new OS big-sur installation guide. The HackinDROM page seems to have changed and I can't select OpenCore 0.6.6 as per the guide. I need your help. Thank you
use a newer version?

Sorry,I don't know what the new version means. I am editing config-AMD-GPU.plist on the HackinDROM homepage following the OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI mini-guide for Designare Z390.

Sorry,I don't know what the new version means. I am editing config-AMD-GPU.plist on the HackinDROM homepage following the OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI mini-guide for Designare Z390.
use a newer version of OpenCore:

It was a blind spot for me. excuse me. thank you for teaching me.

Back