Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I think that my NVME drive somehow died.

It let it sit for ~1hr, and it ended up booting, but it had some permission errors. I tried to wipe it, but the data partition would always fail to unmount. It erased 40% of the way on the command line before throwing an error. Tried erasing it on a real Mac, but no luck. The drive is running extremely hot, even when not in use. I will try with another drive and let you know in a few days how it goes. Most likely the issue was hardware-based, and somehow upgrading the drive killed it.
@CaseySJ It seems that updating to Monterey killed my main OS drive and my time machine drive.

After updating, my time machine drive has been stuck in read only mode, and I can no longer access previous backups of my hackintosh. I can however access other backups. I cannot fix permissions or mount it normally on other machines either. I have no idea how this could have happened.

Booting up is also somewhat problematic. Sometimes the hackintosh will boot, sometimes it'll stay stuck on the loading bar. This is never a problem when booting to a sata SSD, only when booting to the NVME ssd. I also had to disconnect my windows SSD, otherwise the NVME SSD would never boot.

Hello !! Mr Casey

Since OC 0.7.4 sometimes this error appears (at Bios boot) :

"Failed to find SB model disable halting on critical error"

Dortania says "This is a typo, ensure that in your config.plist Misc -> Security -> SecureBootModel is set to Disabled" but now it is set to default (for Monterey ß10...)

What to do, please? Thank you in advance (as always !!)

Hello !! Mr Casey

Since OC 0.7.4 sometimes this error appears (at Bios boot) :

"Failed to find SB model disable halting on critical error"

Dortania says "This is a typo, ensure that in your config.plist Misc -> Security -> SecureBootModel is set to Disabled" but now it is set to default (for Monterey ß10...)

What to do, please? Thank you in advance (as always !!)
Hello @zgonda,

Please open config.plist in a text editor such as TextEdit or BBEdit, search for “SecureBootModel” and post a screenshot.

@CaseySJ It seems that updating to Monterey killed my main OS drive and my time machine drive.

After updating, my time machine drive has been stuck in read only mode, and I can no longer access previous backups of my hackintosh. I can however access other backups. I cannot fix permissions or mount it normally on other machines either. I have no idea how this could have happened.

Booting up is also somewhat problematic. Sometimes the hackintosh will boot, sometimes it'll stay stuck on the loading bar. This is never a problem when booting to a sata SSD, only when booting to the NVME ssd. I also had to disconnect my windows SSD, otherwise the NVME SSD would never boot.
Some questions:
  • What is the make/model of the macOS NVMe SSD?
  • What is the make/model of the Time Machine SSD?
  • What is the make/model of the Windows SSD?
Whenever we install or remove devices from the motherboard we should always flip power switch on PSU to OFF position or physically disconnect power cable. Otherwise we risk electrical fault.

Having said that, one of my SATA SSDs also failed two weeks ago. Disk Utility could not successfully format the disk even though it connected and appeared in IOReg. The formatting procedure would begin and subsequently fail. Not wanting to take any chances, I replaced the disk. Will see if the warranty is still good — if so, will send it back to manufacturer.

Voilà :

Thank you !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-10-18 à 13.11.13.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-10-18 à 13.11.13.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 37
try changing SecureBootModel to Disabled
But if I change I will no longer be able to get the updates for Monterey. Isn't that what is said here ? :

"** OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI for Designare Z390 ** (CaseySJ)
.../...
  • SecureBootModel (Misc --> Security) has been changed to Default because OpenCore 0.7.4 applies the correct settings based on macOS version and System Product Name."

But if I change I will no longer be able to get the updates for Monterey. Isn't that what is said here ? :

.../...
  • SecureBootModel (Misc --> Security) has been changed to Default because OpenCore 0.7.4 applies the correct settings based on macOS version and System Product Name."
oh ok... I didn't have that issue though

.../...
Some questions:
  • How often do you get the boot error?
  • What SystemProductName are you using? iMac19,1?
I have the same settings with Monterey Public Beta 10 (iMac19,1) and the system boots up normally every time. Only ExposeSensitiveData is different, but that shouldn't matter.
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 4.26.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 4.29.50 AM.png

I also don't have this problem all the time but if I select Opencore (or Clover 5141) as the boot partition in the Bios, then I get the said message. And even after an NVRAM reset, I must then select OC 0.7.3 on a key to be able to reboot and then go back to 0.7.4 ...
My SystemProductName is iMacPro1,1 (DRM...) (Apple T2 Security), I know that with non T2 there is no such problem...
Rather than default maybe I should try with j137, right?

Back