Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

No problem — simply go to Post 1 and near the top you will find a spoiler called Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides. Inside that spoiler you’ll find links to all of the OpenCore mini-guides.
Ah totally missed that spoiler, TSYM!!! I've used this guide on my Hackintosh since 2018 and it's worked great all this time, thanks for all your work!

So I was able to update co OC 0.7.4 on a flash drive using HackinDROM, however I cannot boot to my NVME installation anymore.

I used CCC to clone my Big Sur drive to a sata SSD, and I updated the SSD installation to Monterey (I wanted to test 10.12 first without risking any loss on my primary drive). This worked fine.

I then updated my main NVME drive to Monterey. Using the same OC that is used to boot the SSD, I tried booting to the NVME Monterey OS, however this fails. The installation seems to have worked, but when trying to boot, my machine becomes stuck on the Apple logo with a progress bar for a few minutes, then the screen flashes, and then just freezes a little before the halfway mark.

I'm using NVMEFix.kext and NVMEExpressdxe.efi (which was not necessary on Big Sur for me) on a Samsung 970 EVO plus (latest firmware). I've tried with and without nvmeexpressdxe.efi. I'm not sure what the problem would be, given that the settings I have are evidently valid for a Monterey build.

Any hints as to what may be causing a problem with an identical installation on an SSD and an NVME?

Last edited:
So I was able to update co OC 0.7.4 on a flash drive using HackinDROM, however I cannot boot to my NVME installation anymore.

I used CCC to clone my Big Sur drive to a sata SSD, and I updated the SSD installation to Monterey (I wanted to test 10.12 first without risking any loss on my primary drive). This worked fine.

I then updated my main NVME drive to Monterey. Using the same OC that is used to boot the SSD, I tried booting to the NVME Monterey OS, however this fails. The installation seems to have worked, but when trying to boot, my machine becomes stuck on the Apple logo with a progress bar for a few minutes, then the screen flashes, and then just freezes a little before the halfway mark.

I'm using NVMEFix.kext and NVMEExpressdxe.efi (which was not necessary on Big Sur for me) on a Samsung 970 EVO plus (latest firmware). I've tried with and without nvmeexpressdxe.efi. I'm not sure what the problem would be, given that the settings I have are evidently valid for a Monterey build.

Any hints as to what may be causing a problem with an identical installation on an SSD and an NVME?
The CCC clone may be the culprit. You may have better luck using the Use Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant within CCC. YMMV...

Attachments

• Use Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant.png
    Use Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 32
The CCC clone may be the culprit. You may have better luck using the Use Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant within CCC. YMMV...
Hmm? Cloning to an SSD, updating that SSD and booting worked fine. Updating the original NVMe drive did not.

Sorry, guiscard, on two systems here the GPU utilization is working as expected, on both 0.7.2 and 0.7.3. However, and again, I'm on Catalina, and further, I don't use FCPx or Compressor, but Resolve, Adobe, and Avid. Try running Geekbench and Cinebench to test out your GPU utilization. For a comparison, and using Radeon Boost, my Vega 64 runs a 73k GeekBench Metal score, and on the system with the Radeon VIIs, it can pull 100k scores. Start with that and if your scores are in the ballpark of mine (with RB), I'd start taking a closer look at your config.plist, and/or issues with BigSur and FCP/Compressor. i.e., you say you tried the two main SMBIOS flavors, but did you correctly configure/remove your GPU device properties for each?
Good luck,
J
Sorry for the late reply. I was traveling. I thought my GPU device properties were configured correctly. Where would you suggest I find the correct properties? The Dortana guide isn't very specific on Radeon VIIs.

Hmm? Cloning to an SSD, updating that SSD and booting worked fine. Updating the original NVMe drive did not.
When you cloned Big Sur to the external SSD, that SSD was initially empty so CCC used “APFS Replicator” to clone the internal disk to the external disk. This creates a bootable backup.

But when you cloned the external disk to the internal disk, did you first erase/re-format the internal disk? With Big Sur and newer versions of macOS (including Monterey) it is necessary to reformat the DESTINATION disk in order to clone the read-only “System” volume.

Is there anything I need to know before running windows 10 (dual boot) with OC 0.7.4? I have it installed on an internal SSD and haven't booted it up in a very long time.

Any gotchas or things I should avoid? I'm scared I'm going to destroy the big sur side just booting into it lol.

When you cloned Big Sur to the external SSD, that SSD was initially empty so CCC used “APFS Replicator” to clone the internal disk to the external disk. This creates a bootable backup.

But when you cloned the external disk to the internal disk, did you first erase/re-format the internal disk? With Big Sur and newer versions of macOS (including Monterey) it is necessary to reformat the DESTINATION disk in order to clone the read-only “System” volume.
I did not clone my working Monterey system on a sata drive back onto my internal NVME main drive.

I had a working Big Sur system running on an NVME drive. I cloned that system onto a sata SSD drive, updated the ssd to Monterey, and verified that it worked.

Once I verified that I had no bugs/ broken features, I proceeded to update my internal NVME drive as well to Monterey from Big Sur.

Both drives started with the same Big Sur installation (minus some data such as movies that were not important for my test, so those were not cloned), and both drives were independently updated to Monterey using the same installer

Is there anything I need to know before running windows 10 (dual boot) with OC 0.7.4? I have it installed on an internal SSD and haven't booted it up in a very long time.

Any gotchas or things I should avoid? I'm scared I'm going to destroy the big sur side just booting into it lol.
It's always advisable to manually verify config.plist settings. With OpenCore 0.7.4 we should verify the following:
  1. ACPI --> Add --> SSDT-DMAR.aml --> Checked on
  2. ACPI --> Delete --> DMAR --> Checked on
  3. Kernel --> CustomSMBIOSGuid --> Enabled
  4. PlatformInfo --> UpdateSMBIOSMode --> Custom
  5. PlatformInfo --> DataHub --> AdviseFeatures --> Enabled
  6. BIOS --> VT-d --> Enabled
P.S. Always have a bootable backup of macOS.

Back