Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@zipb

I've got 9.14.5 installed which worked fine until I've started changing so many things in my system while trying to get rid of the ominous 40 second AVB disconnects. I really cannot tell for sure what has caused UAD to get instable but will report back once I crack the disconnection issue.
For me, if booting is slow, then the UAD card is not found and then nothing works. If the card is seen, all is fine.

For me, if booting is slow, then the UAD card is not found and then nothing works. If the card is seen, all is fine.

Are you talking about a UAD PCIe card?

In what sense is your UAD card giving your grieve? I've had erratic behaviour with my UAD2 Quad since I upgraded to Big Sur. It was rock solid for years, never a problem. In BS, installing the software/driver was really hard, and yesterday after a crash the whole card disappeared and rebooting takes minutes instead of seconds.
I also had trouble with the UAD card in Big Sur before enabling VT-D, BTW.
Yeah alot of Zanny stuff going on ATM :) ...lol. For the uad card on my 390 des, i had a issue with i think .73 oc where the uad card upon boot just was disable. I dont know why and i dont know what happened for it to come back. I think im latest uad and it fixed it.
For me there is windows 11 and Monterey that i run on a amd and intel system so my hands are full but i think im generally good. I run a carbon system on intel 380 and a rme ufx+ on my amd system. At some point i may try the carbon on amd system.

@CaseySJ a heads up, the 074 on my aero-g board you update is good, there is a new beta bios for that board, i test tb and its acts like previous beta. I am running final windows 11 and 11.6 big sur.. All is well. I still have a outstanding issue, it sees beta 8 monterey but upon upgrade as in last version it hangs after reboot. I know we discussed this, but im just going to wait until final release to deal with this. I have beta 6 working fine on my amd system.

@CaseySJ a heads up, the 074 on my aero-g board you update is good, there is a new beta bios for that board, i test tb and its acts like previous beta. I am running final windows 11 and 11.6 big sur.. All is well. I still have a outstanding issue, it sees beta 8 monterey but upon upgrade as in last version it hangs after reboot. I know we discussed this, but im just going to wait until final release to deal with this. I have beta 6 working fine on my amd system.
@mrfatcatt,

Does this mean that even when you start the Monterey Beta 8 installation process again from System Preferences --> Software Update, it downloads properly but hangs after the first reboot (on AMD Ryzen X570S Aero G)?

HackinDROM app does not apply changes that we make to various quirks and features (hmm, Doug Demuro?), so it's always a good idea to open the new config.plist in OpenCore Configurator 2.51.0.0 and ensure that it's set to 0.7.4 Release Version.

Then check the following settings (make any changes needed):
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.00.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.01.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.02.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.03.41 AM.png

Finally:
  • When the system reboots and OpenCanopy Picker appears, check if there's either a Preboot volume or a Macintosh HD volume. Manually select either one if it's not already selected! It is absolutely necessary to boot one of these volumes after the first reboot.
  • After a subsequent reboot, if either Preboot or Macintosh HD appear again in OpenCanopy Picker, select them again, otherwise select the Monterey disk.
Update:
  • Just went from Beta 6 to Beta 8 on my ASRock X570 Taichi using the OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI with SecureBootModel set to Default.
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.29.33 AM.png

Last edited:
Are you talking about a UAD PCIe card?
Yes. After an extended power off(a night's sleep) it is seen again, BTW.
Big Sur sure doesn't impress me. Still feels like a .0 version. Lots of little things, and plenty of weird behaviour in Cubase and Logic Pro X. And Monterey is imminent...

Yes. After an extended power off(a night's sleep) it is seen again, BTW.
Big Sur sure doesn't impress me. Still feels like a .0 version. Lots of little things, and plenty of weird behaviour in Cubase and Logic Pro X. And Monterey is imminent...
With my card it will misfire at boot on a real Mac or Hack. You can try force loading the driver with terminal.

Man, I’ve had such good success with Big Sur and UAD. I wonder if somethings up with your setup.

With my card it will misfire at boot on a real Mac or Hack. You can try force loading the driver with terminal.

Man, I’ve had such good success with Big Sur and UAD. I wonder if somethings up with your setup.
If it's not seen(no device found) loading the driver with kextload will not help. Nothing happens.

I don't think a real Mac would do much better, BTW. Maybe maintenance would be easier.

What makes Logic and Cubase unstable is a combination of 3rd party plugins. It will work fine one day, but after a restart the project suddenly refuses to load or crashes. The crash logs points at some random 3rd party plugin, but that's not it. Reshuffling the way the plugins load will often fix the problem.

I have less trouble with Bitwig, it might be that they have better protection/sandboxing against misbehaving plugins.

On the other hand, I use Bitwig more for sketching and as a playground, the real work is done in Logic or Cubase.

And I like to test new plugins, so my system is always in a state of flux.

What doesn't help either is that I never commit stuff to plain audio, I will keep MIDI with lots of software instruments and plugins until I bounce a master. I could freeze/commit stuff, but the whole composing/recording/mixing/mastering stuff is now a fluid process, and committing breaks the flow for me.

If it's not seen(no device found) loading the driver with kextload will not help. Nothing happens.

I don't think a real Mac would do much better, BTW. Maybe maintenance would be easier.

What makes Logic and Cubase unstable is a combination of 3rd party plugins. It will work fine one day, but after a restart the project suddenly refuses to load or crashes. The crash logs points at some random 3rd party plugin, but that's not it. Reshuffling the way the plugins load will often fix the problem.

I have less trouble with Bitwig, it might be that they have better protection/sandboxing against misbehaving plugins.

On the other hand, I use Bitwig more for sketching and as a playground, the real work is done in Logic or Cubase.

And I like to test new plugins, so my system is always in a state of flux.

What doesn't help either is that I never commit stuff to plain audio, I will keep MIDI with lots of software instruments and plugins until I bounce a master. I could freeze/commit stuff, but the whole composing/recording/mixing/mastering stuff is now a fluid process, and committing breaks the flow for me.
I’ve got some plugins that cause issues as well. Thats the way it goes!

And of course don’t use anything pirated. Ethics aside, they cause big issues.

Trouble started when I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur 2-3 weeks ago. Lots of trouble with drivers that BS doesn't like/refuses to install properly without shoehorning with SIP off.

I just enabled VT-D 3 days ago, hard to say if this made matters worse.

I think I have the UAD reset script, thanks.
I was only able to move to Big Sur via updating to Catalina then updating to Big Sur. YMMV, but this is how I got this to work from whatever version was out last spring. of course, the UAD driver is different for Big Sur than Catalina.

Back