Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

has anyone had problems with AVB audio interfaces disappearing after about 40 seconds?

This is how it is hooked up:
AVID carbon > Apple thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter > Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter > GB Titan Ridge PCIe.

AppleVTD is active, unflashed Titan Ridge, SSDT for hotplug.

driving me nuts...

has anyone had problems with AVB audio interfaces disappearing after about 40 seconds?

AVID carbon > Apple thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter > Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter > GB Titan Ridge PCIe.

driving me nuts...
Some questions:
  • Are you running Catalina or Big Sur?
  • Which version of OpenCore?
  • Was AVB stable for some time and has suddenly become unstable?
  • Is this happening on Gigabyte Z390 Designare?
    • If this is happening on a different motherboard, it's best to start a new thread under Catalina Desktop Support or Big Sur Desktop Support. You can always reference my name and I'll be notified.
    • For now, however, it's okay to leave your post here.

@CaseySJ

thanks for your reply!
this is on Big Sur 11.5.2 with OpenCore 0.7.3.

It was never stable, had a Sonnet Solo 10g card before, but exact same issue with this route.

Sorry yes I am on a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X,
I had read in this thread about Thunderbolt connection drops so I would kindly ask if anyone got this resolved:
post-2086270

One option is to look for workarounds such as:
  • Unplug and reconnect the Firewire cable after wake-from-sleep. Does the audio interface work properly in this case?
Another option is to determine whether the Firewire card or adapter is the culprit. What is the make/model of the Firewire card/adapter?

Also check if AppleVTD appears near the top of IORegistryExplorer. See screenshot #3 in this post:
If you're using a Thunderbolt dock that has a Firewire port on it -- or using Apple's own Thunderbolt-to-Firwire adapter -- then AppleVTD could make a difference.
I'll roll back to Catalina till can afford a new audio interface, thanks for your help

AppleVTD is active, unflashed Titan Ridge, SSDT for hotplug.

driving me nuts...
I use the asus 10g card and I enable this in config.plist under the aqutica patch....I updated yesterday to caseys 0.74(im not in montery yet on that system) on my 390 tb mobo and AVID carbon runs fine. I has some wierd stuff happen under vtd where my uad pcix card got wierd. You proably can get it sorted out but i feal, if you have a external card, it is easier atm then using the build in thunderbolt

keep me posted, glad there is a other carbon users here. Its better then ua imo for converters for real time tracking is about the same.
not a fan of ua's converters.

Also i heard there are some plugs that may not work dsp-wise first when monterey comes out with carbon, you may need to look into...i would wait if you have time critical projects to do the upgrade.

Anyone else having WIFI/network issues since OC 0.7.4 / Big Sur 11.6?

Just getting random slow downs all the time. One minute it's fine, then the next it's just stalling when loading pages. Other devices on the same network/wifi are working fine.

Here's my HW info:

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 3.01.44 PM.png

Anyone else having WIFI/network issues since OC 0.7.4 / Big Sur 11.6?

Just getting random slow downs all the time. One minute it's fine, then the next it's just stalling when loading pages. Other devices on the same network/wifi are working fine.

Here's my HW info:

View attachment 530182
Try Option-Clicking the WiFi icon as shown and periodically monitor:
  • Tx Rate
  • PHY Mode
Some questions and comments after about 30 minutes of periodic monitoring:
  • Do these values fluctuate a lot?
  • Is PHY Mode set to slower 802.11n (as in my example) or the faster 802.11ac?
  • If you still have the OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI, you can boot using that and repeat the experiment.
If the back of the computer contains a lot of wires -- and if Bluetooth is enabled -- then it's possible that 2.4GHz WiFi may be impaired. It may be helpful to use an outboard antenna such as the one that comes in the Gigabyte motherboard box. I personally use one of these instead.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 3.13.22 PM.png

@mrfatcatt

nice yeah the Carbon is great, works swell with my old Macbook Air, so really hoping to get it to speak to my hackintosh.

I also have a UAD Octo PCIe in my hackintosh and yes it has been acting up a little with all my Vt-d experiments, but I first want to get the Carbon working and then come back to troubleshooting the ua card.

The fact that I am seeing the exact same disconnection behaviour using a 10g NIC PCIe card (with Aquantia patch) or with the Titan Ridge and adapters makes me think the problem lies elsewhere.

Maybe I can see in the system log what is happening in the exact moment where I loose connection.
There is a CH341A EEPROM flasher on it's way and I'll try a different firmware for the Titan Ridge.

@mrfatcatt

nice yeah the Carbon is great, works swell with my old Macbook Air, so really hoping to get it to speak to my hackintosh.

I also have a UAD Octo PCIe in my hackintosh and yes it has been acting up a little with all my Vt-d experiments, but I first want to get the Carbon working and then come back to troubleshooting the ua card.

The fact that I am seeing the exact same disconnection behaviour using a 10g NIC PCIe card (with Aquantia patch) or with the Titan Ridge and adapters makes me think the problem lies elsewhere.

Maybe I can see in the system log what is happening in the exact moment where I loose connection.
There is a CH341A EEPROM flasher on it's way and I'll try a different firmware for the Titan Ridge.
In what sense is your UAD card giving your grieve? I've had erratic behaviour with my UAD2 Quad since I upgraded to Big Sur. It was rock solid for years, never a problem. In BS, installing the software/driver was really hard, and yesterday after a crash the whole card disappeared and rebooting takes minutes instead of seconds.
I also had trouble with the UAD card in Big Sur before enabling VT-D, BTW.

In what sense is your UAD card giving your grieve? I've had erratic behaviour with my UAD2 Quad since I upgraded to Big Sur. It was rock solid for years, never a problem. In BS, installing the software/driver was really hard, and yesterday after a crash the whole card disappeared and rebooting takes minutes instead of seconds.
I also had trouble with the UAD card in Big Sur before enabling VT-D, BTW.
Are you running 9.14.7 that contained a firmware update?

Back