Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It was already off in my config.plist
Does the audio interface require newer drivers, those that are certified for Big Sur?

Is VT-d enabled in BIOS? If so, does “AppleVTD” appear near the top of the IORegistryExplorer device list?

Does the audio interface require newer drivers, those that are certified for Big Sur?
No hopes for Big Sur certified drivers, cause it's considered a "legacy" product since TC electronics was sold to Behringer. The interface works in Catalina and BigSur, but as explained before , since BigSur update waking up from sleep disables audio from the interface , even if it's recognized by the system and audio apps

Some follow-ups:
  • Hopefully the OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI is on a USB flash disk or previous 0.6.0 EFI is still available. If so, please boot again from 0.6.0 to check if the sleep, black screen, and pink line problems occur. This is necessary to re-confirm the baseline.
  • Have all 5 PlatformInfo parameters been copied to the new config.plist?
    • System product name
    • System serial number
    • Hardware UUID
    • Board serial number
    • ROM
I had 0.6.0 backed up to a flash drive, and booting it just now led to slow progress bar, followed by a blank screen. Monitor does detect signal, but screen is blank. The mouse cursor was initially present, but after a click it went missing.

I don't recall copying ROM info, but this old EFI should have it.

I'll try booting the bootable backup now (crappy USB HDD, it's slow)

EDIT: Should I clear NVRAM before each boot up?

EDIT2: I managed to revert back to 0.6.0, by booting the bootable backup (so slow it did lock up once) and copying over the EFI folder (and nvram.plist file)

EDIT3: @CaseySJ I can confirm sleep/wake works OK under 0.6.0.

Last edited:
No hopes for Big Sur certified drivers, cause it's considered a "legacy" product since TC electronics was sold to Behringer. The interface works in Catalina and BigSur, but as explained before , since BigSur update waking up from sleep disables audio from the interface , even if it's recognized by the system and audio apps
One option is to look for workarounds such as:
  • Unplug and reconnect the Firewire cable after wake-from-sleep. Does the audio interface work properly in this case?
Another option is to determine whether the Firewire card or adapter is the culprit. What is the make/model of the Firewire card/adapter?

Also check if AppleVTD appears near the top of IORegistryExplorer. See screenshot #3 in this post:
If you're using a Thunderbolt dock that has a Firewire port on it -- or using Apple's own Thunderbolt-to-Firwire adapter -- then AppleVTD could make a difference.

Last edited:
I had 0.6.0 backed up to a flash drive, and booting it just now led to slow progress bar, followed by a blank screen. Monitor does detect signal, but screen is blank. The mouse cursor was initially present, but after a click it went missing.

I don't recall copying ROM info, but this old EFI should have it.

I'll try booting the bootable backup now (crappy USB HDD, it's slow)

EDIT: Should I clear NVRAM before each boot up?

EDIT2: I managed to revert back to 0.6.0, by booting the bootable backup (so slow it did lock up once) and copying over the EFI folder (and nvram.plist file)

EDIT3: @CaseySJ I can confirm sleep/wake works OK under 0.6.0.
Please do the following:
  • Compress and post the OpenCore 0.6.0 EFI folder (but remove serial numbers from config.plist)
  • Compress and post the OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI folder (also remove serial numbers)
Also confirm if the following list of issues is still correct for 0.7.3 (with Catalina):
  • Pink lines during boot (which is a problem during VRAM test and was fixed by WhateverGreen)
  • Blank video signal when using DisplayPort from RX 580 (but HDMI is okay)
    • Are you using a DP-to-DP cable (no adapters)
    • If you enable CSM Support in BIOS, does DP work?
  • Unable to wake fully from sleep
    • In this case, please disable CpuTscSync.kext from the Kernel section of OpenCore Configurator, then reboot and try again. Does wake-from-sleep work now?
  • Is VT-D enabled in BIOS? Ideally, it should be when using OpenCore 0.7.3.
nvram.plist is an artifact of Clover. In OpenCore we use native NVRAM, which requires disabling "CFG-Lock" in BIOS. Is the backup disk using Clover?

** OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI for Designare Z390 **
Supports Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

HackinDROM 2.0.0 Beta (click here) can be used to update to OpenCore 0.7.4.

** NOTE **
Mojave and Catalina Users: Please see "Post-Update Procedure" below.

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to 0.7.4 Development Version or 0.7.4 Release Version

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.7.4
2. AppleALC 1.6.5
3. WhateverGreen 1.5.4
4. RestrictEvents 1.0.5
5. CpuTscSync 1.0.5

Changes to config.plist:
  • OpenUsbKbDxe.efi (UEFI --> Drivers) has been disabled by default. Enable this only if certain USB keyboards and mice do not work in OpenCore Picker.
  • CpuTscSync.kext (Kernel --> Add) has been disabled by default. Enable this only if you are experiencing some problems with wake-from-sleep.
  • AdviseFeatures (PlatformInfo --> DataHub) checkbox has been enabled. This should allow better compatibility with Windows and Monterey.
  • SecureBootModel (Misc --> Security) has been changed to Default because OpenCore 0.7.4 applies the correct settings based on macOS version and System Product Name.
If any of these changes causes a problem, please change the setting back to what it used to be.

Reminder:
  • Radeon VII users must disable boot argument agdpmod=pikera. Vega users may need to do the same.

Post-Update Procedure: Mojave and Catalina users only.
  • IMPORTANT: Change SecureBootModel to Disabled as shown or the system will not boot. (Thanks @mobi)
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 5.13.20 AM.png

Optional: To enlarge icon and font sizes in OpenCanopy Picker:
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 7.26.41 AM.png

First ZIP file is for Broadcom WiFi/BT. Second ZIP file is for OpenIntelWireless.
Updates:
  • 4 Oct 2021: First version

Attachments

• OC-074-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 343
  • OC-074-DESIGNARE-Z390-INTEL-WIRELESS.zip
    64.3 MB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Also, try to stick with a buffer of 128 and use standard sample rates of 96, 88.1, 48, or 44.1 KHz and make sure that your system is using that same sample rate: Utilities<. Turn off unused services like Bluetooth and WiFi. If you have other apps open that use or make noises, make sure those sample rates match as well or quit that app while using a DAW.
You really don’t need to do that kind of stuff any more. The OS can manage multiple sample rates at once no problem, and have all your hardware and other software happy. Use whatever sample rates you want. I regularly have multiple daws open at once, passing midi to each other and audio at different sample rates for that matter. What is all this fuss about? Back in the day these types of things were necessary, it’s 2021.

Oh yeah, and a buffer of 128 isn’t advice. Your buffer needs to be set to whatever you need depending on what you are doing. 128 may be too much or too little at any given time. If you’re at 192k, 128 is going be too small and you’ll prob get crackling. If you’re at 128 @48k while tracking, prob good, but running a lot plugins maybe not make this work properly. Some plugins require a minimum buffer - read the manuals. Etc etc etc etc.

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.7.4 Released **

Will create mini-guide shortly. Binaries are not yet available.
CaseySJ,
I wanted to let you know after I settled on my workstation display (Dell UltraSharp 32 4k HDR Monitor - UP3221Q).

I'm using Thunderbolt connections and it was pure plug and play. No problems at all.

With Profound (internet) Love and Respect,
-J

CaseySJ,
I wanted to let you know after I settled on my workstation display (Dell UltraSharp 32 4k HDR Monitor - UP3221Q).

I'm using Thunderbolt connections and it was pure plug and play. No problems at all.

With Profound (internet) Love and Respect,
-J
Glad to hear it!

Back