Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

true, but they are both better than configurators..

Totally agree. These configurators are quite confusing.
OpenCore Configurator is a godsend -- it's a wonderful contribution to the Hackintosh community that I endorse wholeheartedly.

The use of "+" and "-" has been part of the Mac user-interface experience for ages. Here's System Preferences --> Users & Groups as one of numerous examples:
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 11.37.13 AM.png

OpenCore Configurator is a godsend -- it's a wonderful contribution to the Hackintosh community that I endorse wholeheartedly.

The use of "+" and "-" has been part of the Mac user-interface experience for ages. Here's System Preferences --> Users & Groups as one of numerous examples:
View attachment 530018
I used to use Clover Configurator for everything but when I changed over to OpenCore I had some bad experiences with OCC hijacking my config.plist. Based on other moderators input and my experiences early on I've always tried to steer anyone who would listen away.
Honestly I thought Hackindrom was developed to try and get away from the need for manual configuration changes and stay away from other configurators. I'm wondering now if I should give it OCC a second chance (after I back everything up and make sure my boot disks are current)

I respectfully disagree here. Clover configurator was confusing, OC config is confusing too. I did most of my editing in BBEdit.

What does the 'wheel' in the right lower corner do/represent in OC conf? I have been clicking it, and trying to turn it, but nothing happens.

not really, especially when users have to wait for the devs to update the configurator before they can update to the latest OpenCore because it doesn't have the new options

no reason not to use a proper plist editor, it isn't really that hard for user's to get used to

I respectfully disagree here. Clover configurator was confusing, OC config is confusing too. I did most of my editing in BBEdit.

What does the 'wheel' in the right lower corner do/represent in OC conf? I have been clicking it, and trying to turn it, but nothing happens.
Couldn’t say myself but I think it comes down to what you get familiar with. Certainly supporting other users with a configurator that works is much easier IMO.

not really, especially when users have to wait for the devs to update the configurator before they can update to the latest OpenCore because it doesn't have the new options

no reason not to use a proper plist editor, it isn't really that hard for user's to get used to
I know PlistEdit Pro is a paid app but one license is good for multiple devices, no limit as far as I’ve found. It was well worth the cost.

Plist editors cannot update the XML schema. OpenCore Configurator does so, and it also provides help information for each parameter.

We have been using OpenCore Configurator here for months with very good results. No need to denigrate something that has been so successful. No software is perfect and it’s unfair to form a bias and hold on to it.

All,

Let’s not perpetuate a debate here regarding Configurators and Plist Editors. We can start a separate thread in an appropriate forum.

Back