Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Your'e a godsend. Will look into those.
I'm waiting on Gigabyte's answer as to how to deal with the warranty.

I definitely checked the used markets, but where I am it's almost non existent. And I'd rather not buy from over the border.

The Extreme is kinda over my budget. For a little more I could get a new mac mini and some USB-C case for my HDDs. It's crazy how those boards became more expensive really. The Designare seems to cost 2x what i paid for it on Newegg....

Also still at awe it broke like this.
Wondering if you came up with a solution for Designare Z390 replacement yet.
I've got one in the Hack I built 2 years ago, but now have flaky/unstable connections on the TB3 ports. [Pretty important while editing video from CalDigit RAID drives connected via TB3!]
I WANT to open a ticket on the Gigabyte support site, but since their process requires sending that "bad" board in, I need to come up with a backup solution for edit work while I'm without my Z390 board. :(

I need to come up with a backup solution for edit work while I'm without my Z390 board.
There are still 31 new Z490 Vision G boards at Amazon. Price is 240 USD.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

You'd need a tenth gen CPU to pair with it. An i5-10600K sells for $230. Use your existing ram, storage and GPU and you've got most of what you'll need.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick reply. Feeling like a noob here, did a fresh install of Catalina about a year ago with the mini guide (can't find it anymore). It had - I think - Clover. How to proceed with OpenCore?
Please have a look at the indicated mini-guide (from Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1):
Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 12.11.23 PM.png

I am installing bigsur 11.5.1 using hackingdrom in my z390 designare from scratch. Will be using Intel WIFI and AMD Graphics. Is there anything I need to be aware of in this process? I had mojave with clover in the same system.
Thank you.

I am installing bigsur 11.5.1 using hackingdrom in my z390 designare from scratch. Will be using Intel WIFI and AMD Graphics. Is there anything I need to be aware of in this process? I had mojave with clover in the same system.
Thank you.
It should be straightforward, but note:
  • BIOS F9g or F9i should be installed (see Quick Reference spoiler at top of Post 1 for download)
  • BIOS --> Boot --> CFG-Lock must be disabled

Wondering if you came up with a solution for Designare Z390 replacement yet.
I've got one in the Hack I built 2 years ago, but now have flaky/unstable connections on the TB3 ports. [Pretty important while editing video from CalDigit RAID drives connected via TB3!]
I WANT to open a ticket on the Gigabyte support site, but since their process requires sending that "bad" board in, I need to come up with a backup solution for edit work while I'm without my Z390 board. :(
Regarding motherboard replacements:

Z390 = LGA 1151

Z490 = LGA 1200
@mikeydanger,

As @jiffyslot pointed out, switching to Z490 means replacing the CPU as well. If you want to continue using the same CPU (i.e. stay on Z390) then two other choices are:
Both of these are still available on Amazon. For Thunderbolt, a PCIe add-in-card such as GC-Titan Ridge will be needed.

HackinDROM can be used to download the OpenCore EFI.

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 1.03.40 PM.png

Regarding motherboard replacements:

Z390 = LGA 1151

Z490 = LGA 1200
Yes, that's why I said a 10th gen CPU is required with a Vision G. With an i5-10600K the total cost is still under $500 and it's easy to resell the motherboard/CPU combo later after the Z390 board gets repaired/replaced. Gamers love i5 K CPUs for overclocking so they'd buy that hardware if it's gently used for a short time.
You'd need a tenth gen CPU to pair with it. An i5-10600K sells for $230. Use your existing ram, storage and GPU and you've got most of what you'll need.

Last edited:
I've been following this guide for a while and have got my Z390 Designare based machine up and running thanks o the info here. Most importantly TB is working really well with my UAD interfaces. But I seem to have one strange problem, I suspect it is related to NVRAM (but I could be chasing a red herring) and I'm finding it hard to find much information about this.

The problem - If I change my desktop images, after a reboot they go back to what they were before. Any suggestions as to the cause or the solution?

OpenCore 0.7.3 - Catalina. Used the files for the EFI from the 0.7.3 mini guide in this thread. I have Misc -> Security -> AllowNvramReset set to YES in OpenCore Configurator.

As far as I can find online I should see an option for Reset NVRAM at the Opencore boot screen, but it's not there, there is only an option for booting Catalina or the shell.

I should say that I added myvar=test to the NVRAM as per the guide on the Dortania page and it returned test after a reboot, so the NVRAM must be working to some extent at least.

The problem - If I change my desktop images, after a reboot they go back to what they were before. Any suggestions as to the cause or the solution?
Thank you for describing the problem properly and providing relevant background information. It's refreshing. Unfortunately I haven't encountered this problem, but hopefully someone can offer a suggestion...

As far as I can find online I should see an option for Reset NVRAM at the Opencore boot screen, but it's not there, there is only an option for booting Catalina or the shell.
If you press spacebar at the OpenCore Picker, there will be an option called Reset NVRAM at the far right.

Back