Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @vidvi,

It should be relatively straightforward to upgrade from Clover to OpenCore, as follows:
  • Start with a full bootable backup of Mojave. I cannot over-stress the importance of this step.
  • Then follow the Clover-to-OpenCore guide.
    • The boot argument agdpmod=pikera is necessary for RX 5700 XT. This is already present in the OpenCore config.plist
  • When OpenCore is installed, boot back into Mojave to make sure everything is okay.
  • Then Big Sur can be installed from System Preferences --> Software Update.
    • However, some older third-party audio kernel extensions (kexts) can cause boot problems in Big Sur. If in doubt, simply post a screenshot of /Library/Extensions before starting Big Sur installation.
  • If you have any questions or run into problems, feel free to post.
Thank you! Appreciate the quick reply. What does agdpmod=pikera do in our case? I googled around a bit and got this:
  • Renames board-id to board-ix effectively disabling boardID checks, this is based off of Pike.R.A's work here(opens new window)
  • This is also required for all Navi GPUs due to the difference in framework with the x6000 drivers
I guess OSX doesn't like the 5700 xt as much as the 580?

I'm currently spoofing a 2019 iMac. Do you think it's still okay to continue doing that?

Thank you! Appreciate the quick reply. What does agdpmod=pikera do in our case? I googled around a bit and got this:
  • Renames board-id to board-ix effectively disabling boardID checks, this is based off of Pike.R.A's work here(opens new window)
  • This is also required for all Navi GPUs due to the difference in framework with the x6000 drivers
I guess OSX doesn't like the 5700 xt as much as the 580?
A well-known Hackintosh blogger with the pseudonym Piker Alpha (or pikera) developed this particular patch. Without it, AMD 5000 and 6000 series GPUs will not turn on in macOS. AGDP refers to Apple Graphics Display Policy. So the patch is enabled with the boot argument agdpmod=pikera. Ironically, we believe he now works at Apple.

I'm currently spoofing a 2019 iMac. Do you think it's still okay to continue doing that?
Yes, iMac19,1 continues to be a good choice.

I think that Win11 is nothing more than GUI changes to make Windows look more modern and an effort to sell new PCs. That's why they've set the hardware requirements so high. They expect everyone to have an 8th gen or better CPU and TPM 2.0 support. In the real world though, any 8-10 year old PC with enough ram and an i3 or better could run Windows 11.
I'm running the latest Dev build of Windows 11 Pro on my Gigabyte TRX40 Designare and my Z390 Designare. I feared it would be just a facelift as well, but have been very happy to find that's not the case. Windows 11 is much faster than 10, and there are articles out there discussing this. Networking is much faster too. They have rearranged things (once again); however, this time it was done very logically. It is very easy to find just about anything, unlike prior reshuffles where it seemed they were trying to make us mad. I was able to do both a clean install and an upgrade, and shockingly, EVERYTHING works! (The ONLY exception is that Intel teaming of network adapters has an issue where once setup, it goes to disabled but I can't figure out how or where to enable the team. I have to uninstall the Intel software to get networking back.)

I am really loving Windows 11, and I can see it becoming the most loved version since XP and Windows 7.

I am really loving Windows 11, and I can see it becoming the most loved version since XP and Windows 7.
Exactly, I agree with you. I never missed Windows. I only used it in unique moments for 15 years. I was a happy user of Win 95 and Win XP; they were two systems that marked a moment. Windows seems to bring this experience back to me. Things really seem to fit together perfectly when you're looking for something in Windows 11, everything very neat. Another detail I updated from Win 10 and also did a clean install. Whenever I ran my MAC with Windows, the thing was very confusing when you were going to install Windows from scratch in the formatting of the drive (M2). Now I simply had to format the partition everything was installed without any problem. I also made a boot disk, as Microsoft recommends on the website, and it also worked perfectly. I work with large format prints (Fine Art), and there is a problem with Canon printers, on Mac OS, simply large files, in measures 60" MACOS can't print, I've talked to several engineers within Canon. But nobody solves the years the subject. So when I need large prints, I'm forced to use Windows. Another detail is the bar that organizes the desktop; this excellent. One detail that I feel is the fact of having a Raid 0, formatted on Mac, and despite to use a converter for Windows to read, I feel a delay in Lightroom, when opening large libraries, I think it's the problem of the HPFS formatting type. But that's not really a problem. But it's good to know that Windows is evolving, and forcing Apple to improve as well.

I think that Win11 is nothing more than GUI changes to make Windows look more modern and an effort to sell new PCs. That's why they've set the hardware requirements so high. They expect everyone to have an 8th gen or better CPU and TPM 2.0 support. In the real world though, any 8-10 year old PC with enough ram and an i3 or better could run Windows 11.
There must be tens of millions of families with students who rely on their laptops for school work, and who very likely have older laptops, and may not be able to afford new ones. Hopefully by the time of Win10 support expiration, MS is shamed into backing down from the 8th-gen or better requirement for Win11.

Hey all. Updated to Big Sur 11.6 on this build with OC 0.7.3. Been having USB issues galore since the update. Sometimes at boot by Bluetooth (via PCIE card) doesn’t work and I need to reboot. Other USB devices suddenly picky about what port or hub they’re plugged into. 1 of my USB hubs won’t work with this update now (hoo too branded). Also, some USB devices won’t persist and stay connected when switching users, and only a full reboot will bring them back online.

Anyone else having issues?

Also, my shutdown issue (won’t shutdown - just reboots) seems to be getting worse. Was occasional, now it’s pretty much every time. It’s weird, if I use terminal command - sudo shutdown -h it shuts down every time, but if I use the standard Apple icon shutdown for the menubar, it doesn’t.

The following OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI folders have been uploaded to HackinDROM (v2.0.0 or newer needed):
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare w/Intel Wireless
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D w/Intel Wireless
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision G (not D)
  • Gigabyte B550 Vision D
  • Gigabyte B550 Vision D (BIOS F13)
  • Asus X99 Deluxe II
  • ASRock X570 Taichi
Just double checking that if we use HackinDROM 2.0, that handles everything and we don't need to download the zip file or manually update config with text editor? HackinDROM 2.0 is an "all in one solution" for the opencore update?

Just double checking that if we use HackinDROM 2.0, that handles everything and we don't need to download the zip file or manually update config with text editor? HackinDROM 2.0 is an "all in one solution" for the opencore update?
Correct. The OpenCore mini-guide contains a link to the HackinDROM tutorial, where you’ll find all the details.

Hey all. Updated to Big Sur 11.6 on this build with OC 0.7.3. Been having USB issues galore since the update. Sometimes at boot by Bluetooth (via PCIE card) doesn’t work and I need to reboot. Other USB devices suddenly picky about what port or hub they’re plugged into. 1 of my USB hubs won’t work with this update now (hoo too branded). Also, some USB devices won’t persist and stay connected when switching users, and only a full reboot will bring them back online.

Anyone else having issues?

Also, my shutdown issue (won’t shutdown - just reboots) seems to be getting worse. Was occasional, now it’s pretty much every time. It’s weird, if I use terminal command - sudo shutdown -h it shuts down every time, but if I use the standard Apple icon shutdown for the menubar, it doesn’t.
Some suggestions:
  • Perform a cold start (shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power back up).
  • If problem persists, check if you're on BIOS F9g or F9i. These are the most common and compatible versions.
  • If problem persists, check if XhciPortLimit is unchecked in Kernel section of config.plist and let us know which USB port map SSDT is in effect (or post screenshots of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel and ACPI sections).
  • If problem persists, ensure that an excessive number of USB devices are not connected.
  • If problem persists, apply process of elimination by disconnecting all external USB devices and connecting one or two at a time to see if system is stable; then determine at which point it becomes unstable.

Some suggestions:
  • Perform a cold start (shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power back up).
  • If problem persists, check if you're on BIOS F9g or F9i. These are the most common and compatible versions.
  • If problem persists, check if XhciPortLimit is unchecked in Kernel section of config.plist and let us know which USB port map SSDT is in effect (or post screenshots of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel and ACPI sections).
  • If problem persists, ensure that an excessive number of USB devices are not connected.
  • If problem persists, apply process of elimination by disconnecting all external USB devices and connecting one or two at a time to see if system is stable; then determine at which point it becomes unstable.
Thanks for the reply.

Cold starts seem to only remedy the issue temporarily.
Good to go with the BIOS version.
Here are my KERNEL & ACPI pages in opencore.
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 11.55.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 11.56.40 AM.png

I do use a lot of USB devices, but things worked previously, most of which are low bandwidth MIDI devices.

Back