Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi there guys, I executed a Big Sur install patcher on my Hackintosh trying to create a bootable install USB for an older laptop. It caused my Hackintosh to no longer boot. I'm guessing it somehow changed the EFI partition, or perhaps something else? I used the EFIclone tool to try and copy the EFI partition from my CCcloner backup drive back to my internal SSD (which failed to help), but now, even the CCcloner backup drive quit booting as well. As a last resort,

@Talloth

If you have restored your working EFI and it doesn't boot, I'm pretty confident the patcher has modified kexts in your hack's macOS which are not compatible with your hack.

Also check the BIOS boot priority to make sure it is booting from the correct EFI.

I would suggest you create a USB installer with your current macOS, and install over your currently not booting macOS drive. This will keep your data, but replace the macOS which will then hopefully boot again.

Or if you have a current clone of the hack's drive, use it to clone back from the working clone to replace the non-booting macOS.

There's a prebuilt OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI for Z390 Designare located in the link below (can also be referenced from Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1). This EFI does not contain serial numbers, so it's meant for upgrades in which existing serial numbers are copied to the new config.plist.
We also use the HackinDROM App, which can perform both (a) OpenCore upgrades from old version of OC to new version of OC, and (b) OpenCore first-time installation in which new serial numbers are generated by the app. A link to HackinDROM is also present in the above post.
@CaseySJ Thanks for the info above. Ok, I used the prebuilt OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI and manually configured the config.plist to include the platform identifiers. Now I at least get to the picker GUI. As soon as I choose the boot disk and hit enter, it doesn't get very far (see screenshot). My system specs are Designare (BIOS F8), i9-9900k, RX5700 XT.

Attachments

• locked.png
    locked.png
    977 KB · Views: 43
  • EFI.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 29
Hi, I tried to upgrade from opencore 0.6.7 to 0.7.3 with mojave but I keep getting this message about apple boot security. Any ideas ?
I set securebootmodel to j137.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 30
Hi, I tried to upgrade from opencore 0.6.7 to 0.7.3 with mojave but I keep getting this message about apple boot security. Any ideas ?
I set securebootmodel to j137.
compare your config.plist with the sample.plist

@CaseySJ
Good morning, I don't know if it's the place, but I'm downloading the new Monterey beta, is it possible to run with the current 0.73, or I would have to make some change. If the subject cannot be discussed here, I apologize and you can delete. Thanks

Is anyone having problems installing Monterey public beta 7 on this Designare Z390 build? Until beta 7 I have had no problems installing updates via Software Update.

The update was downloaded (via Content Casing where beta 7 had been downloaded and cached to an iMac). Software update went through the 30 minute preparation stage, then did a brief display of the Apple logo and progress bar, then rebooted to the OC picker, and OC pre-selected the Install HD (or whatever it was named.) Then the Apple logo and progress bar were displayed doing about 10 minutes of processing.

Then another reboot to the OC picker. In previous installs the Install HD icon in the picker disappeared and the Monterey drive was pre-selected for additional processing. With beta 7 the Install HD remained displayed, but the Monterey drive was pre-selected and booted.

However the hack was booted back to the Monterey desktop and the drive was not updated.

I have tried doing the update using csr settings of E7030000, 67000000, and 00000000 without success.

It looks like I should try doing a straight download from Apple servers and try again unless someone has other suggestions.

Is anyone having problems installing Monterey public beta 7 on this Designare Z390 build? Until beta 7 I have had no problems installing updates via Software Update.

The update was downloaded (via Content Casing where beta 7 had been downloaded and cached to an iMac). Software update went through the 30 minute preparation stage, then did a brief display of the Apple logo and progress bar, then rebooted to the OC picker, and OC pre-selected the Install HD (or whatever it was named.) Then the Apple logo and progress bar were displayed doing about 10 minutes of processing.

Then another reboot to the OC picker. In previous installs the Install HD icon in the picker disappeared and the Monterey drive was pre-selected for additional processing. With beta 7 the Install HD remained displayed, but the Monterey drive was pre-selected and booted.

However the hack was booted back to the Monterey desktop and the drive was not updated.

I have tried doing the update using csr settings of E7030000, 67000000, and 00000000 without success.

It looks like I should try doing a straight download from Apple servers and try again unless someone has other suggestions.
may need latest opencore with latest commits:

@CaseySJ Have you encountered random graphics freezing?

I'm using a 9900K and a Vega 64 LC edition, and sometimes when I'm typing in iMessage, or watching YouTube videos, then everything but my mouse freezes for 3-4 seconds, and then resumes.

The worst is when I walk away for 2-3 hours and the screensaver comes on and then freezes, and it doesn't get restored. I just get a frozen screensaver and have to do a hard reboot.

I'm using your latest 0.7.3 OC, but modified it:
  • I disabled the Wifi and I don't use vt-d (Windows seems to slow down and give me issues with vt-d enabled)
  • Disabled the Slot 1 PCI-E, my 3090 is in that slot
  • Use CommenderFix.kext because I have a CommanderPro
  • Use custom USBMap.kext

@CaseySJ Have you encountered random graphics freezing?

I'm using a 9900K and a Vega 64 LC edition, and sometimes when I'm typing in iMessage, or watching YouTube videos, then everything but my mouse freezes for 3-4 seconds, and then resumes.

The worst is when I walk away for 2-3 hours and the screensaver comes on and then freezes, and it doesn't get restored. I just get a frozen screensaver and have to do a hard reboot.

I'm using your latest 0.7.3 OC, but modified it:
  • I disabled the Wifi and I don't use vt-d (Windows seems to slow down and give me issues with vt-d enabled)
  • Disabled the Slot 1 PCI-E, my 3090 is in that slot
  • Use CommenderFix.kext because I have a CommanderPro
  • Use custom USBMap.kext
Check trim compatibility of your disk.

Back