Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey there. I am currently trying to replace Clover with OpenCore by following this guide. It states:

The linked guide doesn't seem to fully describe those steps, however. I have found another post (** Using HackinDROM App to Create New EFI **) ... am I supposed to use this? I'm a bit unsure of what to do next after removing Clover RC scripts, so I figured I'd just ask to be safe. I also see ** OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI for Designare Z390 ** but this seems to be a guide for upgrading OpenCore.

Thanks for the help.
I'll update the Clover-to-OpenCore conversion guide momentarily. You are right, however, that we can Use HackinDROM to generate a fully configured EFI that even includes custom serial numbers. We can use the Create EFI button (click here). Screenshots in the HackinDROM guides are from an earlier version, but it's straightforward to apply those guides to version 2.0.0. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Glad to hear it. Yes it’s good for long term stability!

1536MB is perfect. Nothing more to do! Just note that sometimes we experience minor graphics glitches when using iGPU. This has gotten a lot better in latest releases of macOS.
Thank you for your support!!!!!

Hi guys, just a question about the monthly process of updating OpenCore. I am having a hard time finding a forum location where people discuss compatibility of the latest OpenCore configurations vs the latest OS X configurations. Probably a dumb question, but is it safe to assume that the latest release of OpenCore has generally been tested against the latest release of OSX? I am guessing that this is the purpose of monthly OpenCore updates. Thx in advance, you guys rock!
The Acidanthera team that develops OpenCore and numerous other kernel extensions we rely upon has been doing a phenomenal job of preserving and even improving compatibility with both trailing and leading versions of macOS.

For example, OpenCore supported Big Sur since the first public beta. OpenCore supported Monterey since the first public beta (some changes were necessary for Bluetooth firmware injection in related kexts). OpenCore has kept up with macOS and promises to continue doing so.

Last edited:
Is there any harm in using the older OpenCore 0.6.4 with the latest version of Big Sur 11.6

I just updated from Catalina to Big Sur with success (thanks again to Casey's superb guides), and I was on OC 0.6.4 prior to the upgrade. So thinking to keep as is as it is working well....

The following OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI folders have been uploaded to HackinDROM (v2.0.0 or newer needed):
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare w/Intel Wireless
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D w/Intel Wireless
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision G (not D)
  • Gigabyte B550 Vision D
  • Gigabyte B550 Vision D (BIOS F13)
  • Asus X99 Deluxe II
  • ASRock X570 Taichi
Casey,

Just downloaded HackinDROM v2.0.0 beta. I'm running OC 0.7.2 Z490 Vision D Intel Wireless which I also have installed on my test flash drive. When I mount the flash drive using HackinDROM, I'm told that I have OC 0.7.2 and that I'm up to date. Checked configuration settings and they seem correct (correct MB with intel wireless). Am I missing something?

Thanks
Rand

Is there any harm in using the older OpenCore 0.6.4 with the latest version of Big Sur 11.6

I just updated from Catalina to Big Sur with success (thanks again to Casey's superb guides), and I was on OC 0.6.4 prior to the upgrade. So thinking to keep as is as it is working well....
It's perfectly okay to stay on OpenCore 0.6.4 for the time being. If everything is working, then it's mostly optional to upgrade. Under the hood improvements are regularly made, so at some point it would be a good idea to install the latest. This can always be done initially on the EFI partition of a USB flash drive without touching the main macOS SSD.

On 11.6 with OC 0.7.1 and its very stable! Thank you CaseySJ for your help on my previous queries.

Hi!

Is there any option on how to make a clean Big Sur installation with OpenCore?

Can I just add all the kexts, and other files from post #1 and use then in clean OpenCore installation?

I'm struggling after migrating from Cclover to OpenCore with bluebottle issues and now my hackintosh wont even boot. So I think that it will be better to just format my main drive and install it from scratch?

Thanks!

EDIT: NWM I found everyting i needed. THANKS for your awesome work @CaseySJ!
Where did you find everything that you needed? I am having the same problem as you described. Did you find a guide somewhere for OpenCore that works for our platform?

Where did you find everything that you needed? I am having the same problem as you described. Did you find a guide somewhere for OpenCore that works for our platform?
There's a prebuilt OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI for Z390 Designare located in the link below (can also be referenced from Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1). This EFI does not contain serial numbers, so it's meant for upgrades in which existing serial numbers are copied to the new config.plist.
We also use the HackinDROM App, which can perform both (a) OpenCore upgrades from old version of OC to new version of OC, and (b) OpenCore first-time installation in which new serial numbers are generated by the app. A link to HackinDROM is also present in the above post.

Hi there guys! I executed a Big Sur install patcher on my Hackintosh trying to create a bootable install USB for an older laptop. It caused my Hackintosh to no longer boot. I'm guessing it somehow changed the EFI partition, or perhaps something else? I used the EFIclone tool to try and copy the EFI partition from my CCcloner backup drive back to my internal SSD (which failed to help). But now, even the CCcloner backup drive quit booting as well. As a last resort, I removed the internal SSD and managed to boot it up in my MacBook Pro and did a TimeMachine backup just to make sure I don't lose all my data (I hadn't backed up in longer than I had hoped). My solution was going to be reinstall fresh, and then migrate all my data after I have a working system. But I would like to go ahead and upgrade to Big Sur if possible.

However, the first page in this post doesn't really mention anything about Big Sur, and on top of that, it sounds like a lot of people are using OpenCore now. I have tried OpenCore today following a video very closely, but the installer hangs up on IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0.

My end goal is just to have an operational Hackintosh running again as soon as possible. I'm OK with trying to restore the existing internal SSD, which should be mostly intact except for EFI partition (not sure what else the patcher could have changed?). But I'm also OK with fully reinstalling and starting fresh. I just don't know how to proceed because I lack adequate experience to know HOW to proceed, which leaves me feeling very frustrated. I'm hoping someone knows where to point me for help. Thanks in advance for all you guys do! I wouldn't have been enjoying this hackintosh for the last few years without all the documentation and questions answered by ya'll here on this forum. :)

@CaseySJ Thanks for the reply on the prior post. I will try the link you provided, and HackinDROM as well, to see if I can get my build going again. Much appreciated! I will come back and post results after some work.

Last edited:
Back