Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello everyone
I think somehow I did some messing with my machine and now I can't get it going whatever I try (limited knowledge for sure)
It was installed long ago with Clover but I migrated to OpenCore. Recently used HackinDROM and all was ok but yesterday once more looking at OpenCore app and HackinDROM to have both at latest since I read you had to to avoid problems. I did but before launching most recent OSx update (Big Sur) rebooted the box and ... did F12 and I see my hdd and backup SSD but whatever I choose I get this. Hence this seems more a lower end problem even before the drive is loaded. While messing in F12 and choosing a bootable USB drive I do once again see the clover menu (though I followed the guide to get rid of it) Wonder if this is finally messing things up to a point of no more bootable disks ? And as said my knowledge is limited in the hack world. Used to macs since 1988 ... Where do I start to look for the problem ??? So yes thanks for the help.

Z390
I9
nvme disk as primary
ssd with a BU samsung (worked in the past)
ram 64 etc etc
you need to compare your config.plist with the sample.plist and make the needed adjustments

Hello everyone
I think somehow I did some messing with my machine and now I can't get it going whatever I try (limited knowledge for sure)
It was installed long ago with Clover but I migrated to OpenCore. Recently used HackinDROM and all was ok but yesterday once more looking at OpenCore app and HackinDROM to have both at latest since I read you had to to avoid problems. I did but before launching most recent OSx update (Big Sur) rebooted the box and ... did F12 and I see my hdd and backup SSD but whatever I choose I get this. Hence this seems more a lower end problem even before the drive is loaded. While messing in F12 and choosing a bootable USB drive I do once again see the clover menu (though I followed the guide to get rid of it) Wonder if this is finally messing things up to a point of no more bootable disks ? And as said my knowledge is limited in the hack world. Used to macs since 1988 ... Where do I start to look for the problem ??? So yes thanks for the help.

Z390
I9
nvme disk as primary
ssd with a BU samsung (worked in the past)
ram 64 etc etc
Please create a Report Archive and post the zip archive (created on your Desktop)
screen-shot-2021-06-10-at-21-33-21-png.521390

you need to compare your config.plist with the sample.plist and make the needed adjustments
OK, am back in business, thanks to all for the quick feedback. Was able to get in a Terminal and delete latest EFI and unzip the BU HackinDROM made from 2 days ago. So far so good. Thanks HackinDROM

Think I need to go over all again to make sure it is clean from now on before I though anything.
Added the requested report and for sure you experts will see all that's square instead round ... I need to learn more :)

Is there some nice to follow tuto like there are already so many like a sanity check ? Make sure there are no leftovers, conflicting or potential conflicting parts, etc. ???
again thanks

Attachments

• ReportEFI_OC0.7.1_45.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 41
OK. it was Securebootmode enabled. So my question is, Can I use Open Intel with securebootmodel disabled? because right now with securebootmodel disabled I can't see wifi and Bluetooth is working but I can't see my Apple magic mouse. :(
Have you tried SecureBootModel = j137?

OK, am back in business, thanks to all for the quick feedback. Was able to get in a Terminal and delete latest EFI and unzip the BU HackinDROM made from 2 days ago. So far so good. Thanks HackinDROM

Think I need to go over all again to make sure it is clean from now on before I though anything.
Added the requested report and for sure you experts will see all that's square instead round ... I need to learn more :)

Is there some nice to follow tuto like there are already so many like a sanity check ? Make sure there are no leftovers, conflicting or potential conflicting parts, etc. ???
again thanks
The errors you see in the screenshot simply mean the following:
  • The config.plist was updated for OpenCore 0.7.3
  • But OpenCore 0.7.2 or earlier was used to boot the system
In OpenCore 0.7.3 several changes were made to config.plist that are not backwards-compatible. Namely:
  • The UEFI drivers section was changed from a simple array to an array of dictionary (dict) entries.
  • A new parameter ForceOcWriteFlash was added.

I just analyzed the two, they might be the same. Please double-check, if it is then it's mislabeled as Rev 1.0.
We have a file in the Repository called GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin, which is identical to the file you uploaded except for a few bytes that we intentionally modified to enable Thunderbolt Bus.

Hi CaseySj,
I have written before that I have problems with random system crashes. I installed Catalina first and then Mojave. Unfortunately, the replacement of the system has not led to any progress.

I first installed Mojave 10.14.6 (Clover 5111) but the system was very unstable and I had a very frequent spontaneous reboot of the system.

As I could not solve the problem with spontaneous system crashes I reinstalled the system using OpenCore 072. Unfortunately changing the bootloader didn't help. I have a constant system crash.

I followed your instructions literally during the installation.
I would like to mention that I inserted the GPU into PCIEX8.
Everything seemed to be working properly except for problems with frequent system crashes.

The frequency of system crashes was slightly reduced after I turned off spotlight indexing (sudo mdutil -a -i off ).

Can you help me understand what the problem is with my system? I’ve been struggling for months now and I’m afraid I no longer see hope that I can have a functional system based on a Mac OS system.

If I don't solve the problem I have to switch to Windows until I buy a Mac mini. Please help me because I am completely desperate and do not know what to do. I'm willing to pay for help.

The system is based on the following hardware:
MB: Gigabyte Designare
CPU: I9 9900K
GPU: MSI RX 560 Aero ITX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x32 GB)
M.2 Disk: Samsung 970 pro
SSD: Samsung 850 pro
Apple Broadcom BCM943602CDP

@Ali,

If you are still using OpenCore, please try disabling NVMeFix.kext as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.44.42 AM.png

Other questions:
  • Was Migration Assistant used to transfer files and folders from a previous installation? Or is this a clean system?
  • Which WiFi/BT card are you using? You mentioned "Apple Broadcom BCM943602CDP", but can you provide a link to the actual product?
    • Have you tried removing this device?
  • Which version of BIOS is installed? Is it F9i or F9g? We do not recommend F9j or newer at this time.

@ CaseySj,
Thank you for the prompt response. I really appreciate the effort and your willingness to help.

I always do a clean installation, so I didn’t use Migration Assistant.

This is the WiFi / BT card I use.

https://www.osxwifi.com/product/mac...3602cdp-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-with-bluetooth-4-2/

I did not check the effect of removing the card. It didn't make sense to me because I used that card on a previous Ivy Bridge build (GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H) and there were no system crash issues. In fact the only problem I had was related to the USB 3 speed.

I am using the bios version of F9i (Elias64FR).

Could we do an analysis of the errors that appear in the console? It would certainly be useful to know the reasons why the system is constantly crashing.

I ask this because I have a huge number of errors in the console that occur literally every second.
The com.apple.AmbientDisplayAgent Invalid display 0x41dc9d00 error is especially annoying

After which the monitor itself falls into sleep mode and wakes up every few seconds until I turn off and turn on the monitor again.

*** UPDATE ***

Unfortunately for me disabling NVMeFix.kext did not help. The system continues to crash as before. As I wrote earlier of less help is turning off Spotlight indexing (sudo mdutil -a -i off).

When I don't do that, the system crashes at least once every 2 minutes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 14.56.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 14.56.27.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 20.44.14.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 20.44.14.png
    336.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
@Ali,

Two options make sense at this time. Other options might make sense after these two have been attempted:
  1. To determine whether AmbientDisplayAgent affects the RX 560, we should switch to Intel iGPU.
    • However, on the RX 560 itself please check if there's a switch that toggles between Overclock (OC) mode and Silent (normal) mode. If there is, toggle it into the Silent (normal) position. Then see if it affects system stability.
    • Switching to Intel iGPU is straightforward:
      • Every OpenCore EFI folder I provide in this thread contains a template file called config-Intel-iGPU.plist.
      • Transfer your PlatformInfo credentials into that file.
      • Backup or rename your existing config.plist (maybe rename it to config-original.plist)
      • Then rename the modified config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist and copy to the EFI/OC folder
      • Shutdown the computer.
      • Flip power switch on PSU to OFF position. DANGER: Failing to do this can cause permanent damage to motherboard.
      • Physically remove the RX 580 (flip open the retention clip on PCIe slot before pulling out the card).
      • Connect monitor to onboard HDMI port or to either of the two USB-C ports (on rear IO panel).
      • Flip PSU power back ON.
      • Power on the computer.
      • Go to BIOS Setup and change Initial Display Output to iGPU.
      • Save BIOS settings and exit.
      • Boot macOS.
      • How is the system stability now?
  2. Physically remove the Broadcom WiFi/BT card:
    • Again, shutdown system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF position!!!
    • Remove the card.
    • Flip PSU back on and power up.
    • How is the system stability?

Back