Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yup 100%. It's very strange -- not sure what to make of it.

The m.2 is obviously detected by the motherboard, but it just doesn't show up as a Boot option.
Suggestion:
  • Let's check if LauncherOption is disabled as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 8.22.41 AM.png

If it's currently enabled, please disable this option, then:
  • Reboot
  • At OpenCore Picker, press spacebar to reveal extra options
  • Select Reset NVRAM at the far right
  • When system reboots, check if Windows appears in BIOS Boot Menu (press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen)

Upon reviewing another thread, it might be a DRM issue as mentioned below in another build thread below:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-big-sur-on-i9-10850k-z490m-gaming-x.310679/

Perhaps something I could change in my config.plist as well? Any suggestions? I noticed that I cant watch any trailers or free episodes on AppleTV.
I think I have the same problem but using a Razer Kiyo (slow connection message with FaceTime when I have a smoking fast connection, at lease on my end). Haven't checked TV app, but will do.

I have a plugin for mail that is acting heretically.
I checked my SIP status using the terminal.

System Integrity Protection status: unknown (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: disabled
DTrace Restrictions: disabled
NVRAM Protections: disabled
BaseSystem Verification: disabled
This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

I am using the HackinDROM to disable the SIP so is this respond normal ?
Is it safe to use terminal to try to disable SIP again using the terminal command ?

Thanks

Hello all,

Two quick things (I hope).

1) I'm trying to run DDU in Safe mode to clean up all display drivers.

When I get to the Windows screen after doing a Shift + Restart that gives you all the startup options, it does NOT accept any of the number key presses. Not the top row, not the number pad, and not the F keys. It will only respond to Enter and Ctrl + Alt + Del. I am trying to start with number 4, Safe Mode.

I've messed with numerous BIOS settings dealing with USB (even though I know that's not it because the Enter, etc keys work). I've messed with CMS and anything else I could think to try, but nothing works. So I cannot boot up Windows into Safe Mode.

2) There was a process for getting in / launching and EFI "cleaning process" so that ALL available boot devices would once again appear after starting up with F12. I used it many times when first building my Hack, but now for the life of me I can't remember how to do it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you! :banghead:

I have a plugin for mail that is acting heretically.
I checked my SIP status using the terminal.

System Integrity Protection status: unknown (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: disabled
DTrace Restrictions: disabled
NVRAM Protections: disabled
BaseSystem Verification: disabled
This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

I am using the HackinDROM to disable the SIP so is this respond normal ?
Is it safe to use terminal to try to disable SIP again using the terminal command ?

Thanks
@Itshuta

If you are referring to SpamSieve for Mail, I believe I had to disable SIP to get it to work right in Big Sur. You can edit your config.plist file to Disable SIP, and keep SSV Enabled as shown below.

NVRAM.jpg

Set csr-active-config to E7030000 to disable SIP and Enable SSV. Make sure to click the "Delete" tab for the same UUID and make sure csr-active-config is listed so when you reboot the old value is cleared.

Alternatively one can set csr-active-config to EF0F0000 if one wants to disable both SIP and SSV.

Alternatively one can set csr-active-config to 00000000 if one wants to enable both SIP and SSV.

In the first two cases I suspect the terminal command will display similar results.

Ummmm. FYI all....

I just was fortunate enough to be able to get an EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (12GB-P5-3967-KR), and at MSRP, through EVGA's Notify Queue system.

At present, I'm down to just one machine, which is this Z390 Designare as I await release of AMD's new 5k THREADRIPPERS. So I installed the new GPU and replaced the RX 580 just for testing in Windows.

Well, I accidentally booted into macOS... and it's "working"! I thought doing so it would just crash with the black screen. It's working on the HDMI port and at the correct resolution. My ulta wide 5120 X 1440... is of course just a black screen. I'm guessing getting that one to work may not happen.

I really expected nothing, but I am technically actually able to use it, to some extent, with this GPU.

I thought this info could be useful to some.

Suggestion:
  • Let's check if LauncherOption is disabled as shown:
View attachment 527830
If it's currently enabled, please disable this option, then:
  • Reboot
  • At OpenCore Picker, press spacebar to reveal extra options
  • Select Reset NVRAM at the far right
  • When system reboots, check if Windows appears in BIOS Boot Menu (press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen)
Ah, you're a wizard. That did it, thank you.

I updated to OpenCore 0.7.2, disabled LauncherOption, reset NVRAM, and the Windows Bootloader instantly showed up upon re-entering the BIOS.

Ummmm. FYI all....

I just was fortunate enough to be able to get an EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (12GB-P5-3967-KR), and at MSRP, through EVGA's Notify Queue system.
Congratulations! This morning I attempted to purchase AMD GPUs directly from AMD's website using their new queue system. Nearly got one, but the "Add to Cart" button didn't work. Will try again next week.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 6.55.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-26 at 7.07.13 AM.png

I understand that many, but not all Best Buy stores around the country had numerous RTX 3000-series GPUs for sale today. Curious if anyone here stood in line for one...

At present, I'm down to just one machine, which is this Z390 Designare as I await release of AMD's new 5k THREADRIPPERS. So I installed the new GPU and replaced the RX 580 just for testing in Windows.

Well, I accidentally booted into macOS... and it's "working"! I thought doing so it would just crash with the black screen. It's working on the HDMI port and at the correct resolution. My ulta wide 5120 X 1440... is of course just a black screen. I'm guessing getting that one to work may not happen.
Actually all GPUs will "work", but not the way you expect! GPU acceleration will be disabled unless the card is natively supported by macOS. Moving windows, resizing windows, scrolling windows, etc. will be very slow. And games? Just forgettabout it! :)

Last edited:
Congratulations! This morning I attempted to purchase AMD GPUs directly from AMD's website using their new queue system. Nearly got one, but the "Add to Cart" button didn't work. Will try again next week.

View attachment 527853View attachment 527852

I understand that many, but not all Best Buy stores around the country had numerous RTX 3000-series GPUs for sale today. Curious if anyone here stood in line for one...

Actually all GPUs will "work", but not they way you expect! GPU acceleration will be disabled unless the card is natively supported by macOS. Moving windows, resizing windows, scrolling windows, etc. will be very slow. And games? Just forgettabout it! :)
Thank you @CaseySJ for the reply and the info!

YES! I told a friend of mine about the big nVidia dump at BestBuys. He went to the one in West LA at 11301 Pico. He waited in line since about 8PM yesterday and today he was rewarded with an nVidia 3090 FE at MSRP. He is VERY happy as he did not think he could get a new GPU for MONTHS. He primarily will be using it for Premiere, but he also games pretty hard too.

THERE WERE PLENTY MORE AVAILABLE! He talked to a lot of people in line and most were there for 3060's.

And best of luck to you @CaseySJ on your next attempt at YOUR GPU from the AMD site! :headbang:

Ummmm. FYI all....

I really expected nothing, but I am technically actually able to use it, to some extent, with this GPU.

I thought this info could be useful to some.

You will get an output from virtually any GPU, be that Nvidia or AMD. But, unless it is a supported one you will only get a basic output using the bog standard VGA driver, i.e no acceleration etc.

You can, of course, have both cards installed but just disable the slot the RTX is in when you boot in to macOS. CaseySJ has supplied the SSDTs to disable either slot 1 or 2, just select and use the one for whichever slot you have the card in.

Back