Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Last edited:
Can someone help me! I recently updated OpenCore using HackinDROM to OpenCore 0.7.2 (I have already done it on previous updates with no problem), macOS works with no problem. But now, when I try to open Windows from the new boot loader, it goes to a black screen (to specify I have windows on a different SSD). I can still open Windows if I boot to it directly with no problem. How do I solve this issue?
Please use the highlighted guide to disable AppleVTD. The link is located in the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 10.40.12 AM.png

But, still having problems. I wonder if I should connect the USB2 hub to a real (black) USB2 only port on the mobo. I have these switched off for now to stay under the 15 port limit.
No. I haven't switched these off. I've already implemented the USB bus just the way it should be. Months ago. I just forgot about it. Boy. Old age... Everything looks tiny and/or blurry and I forget stuff. Lots of stuff. I even forgot that I made a note about it so I wouldn't forget. Argh.

No. I haven't switched these off. I've already implemented the USB bus just the way it should be. Months ago. I just forgot about it. Boy. Old age... Everything looks tiny and/or blurry and I forget stuff. Lots of stuff. I even forgot that I made a note about it so I wouldn't forget. Argh.
No worries. Little details like these are easy to forget...

After a power outage, I got a "macOS can't repair the disk" error. I tried running disk repair and got this:

Repairing file system
Volume could not be unmounted
Performing fsck_hfs -fy -s /dev/rdisk2s2
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Invalid record count
The volume could not be verified completely
File system check exit code is 8
Restoring the original state found
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

According to online instructions, I tried to boot into safe mode (shift key) and recovery mode (command R) but neither worked. Are these options unavailable in opencore? Please advise.

After a power outage, I got a "macOS can't repair the disk" error. I tried running disk repair and got this:

Repairing file system
Volume could not be unmounted
Performing fsck_hfs -fy -s /dev/rdisk2s2
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Invalid record count
The volume could not be verified completely
File system check exit code is 8
Restoring the original state found
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

According to online instructions, I tried to boot into safe mode (shift key) and recovery mode (command R) but neither worked. Are these options unavailable in opencore? Please advise.
Sorry to hear that. In OpenCore we can press <space bar> at the OpenCore Picker to reveal additional options. One of them will be Recovery.

** Experiment Update #3 **
AppleVTD Side-Effects and Mitigation Strategies

Current Situation:
To extend Thunderbolt compatibility to Antelope Audio, Apple TB-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, and some other devices, we have found that enabling VT-d is the key.

This can be done on any Intel-based Hackintosh and does not require any special or modified BIOS. To enable VT-d, we need to do the following:
  • Enable VT-d in BIOS
  • In OpenCore config.plist, uncheck DisableIoMapper (in the Kernel Quirks section)
  • In OpenCore config.plist, remove "dart=0" from Boot-Args if present (in the NVRAM section)
  • After rebooting, run IORegistryExplorer to see whether a new device named AppleVTD appears near the top of the list. This confirms that VT-d is enabled.

Side-Effects:
Unfortunately there are side-effects. Different motherboards exhibit different side-effects. Here is what we know so far:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
    • With two 8GB DIMMs, one in A1 and the other in B1, there are no side-effects. Everything works.
    • With two 8GB DIMMs and one 4GB DIMM, there are also no side-effects (@Inqnuam).
    • With two 16GB DIMMs, one in A1 and the other in B1, Ethernet and WiFi will fail to connect.
    • If all 4 DIMM slots are occupied with 8GB or larger DIMMs, Ethernet and WiFi will fail to connect.
    • According to @jiffyslot, use of Corsair LPX 2666MHz memory (16GB x 4 for total of 64GB) has no side-effects (in macOS Mojave).
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
    • The system does not boot when only memory slots A1 and B1 are occupied (based on using two 16GB DIMMs).
    • Later I will see what happens with two 8GB DIMMs in either A1/B1 or A2/B2.
      • Update: Everything works with two 8GB DIMMs in A2/B2 (I used G.Skill 3200MHz modules). Four of these DIMMs, however, cause WiFi/Ethernet failure.
    • With one 16GB DIMM in A2 there are no side-effects!
  • Asus X99 Deluxe II (Intel HEDT)
    • This is an Intel HEDT (high-end desktop) platform with 8 DIMM slots.
    • When 4 slots are occupied with 8GB DIMMs each (total 32GB), there are no side-effects.
@gandem
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
    • With one DIMM installed, there are no side-effects
@qthegaijin
  • Gigabyte X299 Designare EX (Intel HEDT)
    • 128GB memory (all 8 slots occupied with 16GB DIMMs)
    • There are no side-effects (running Mojave with Mojave version of IntelSmallTree82576 kext, and ReleaseUSBOwnership checked on).
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
    • USB ports stopped working, but the solution is to enable ReleaseUSBOwnership in UEFI section of OpenCore config.plist.
    • 64GB RAM using four 16GB DIMMs.
    • After making that change, there are no side-effects.
@djlild7hina
  • ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G (Intel HEDT)
    • 64GB memory using 16GB modules in 4 of 8 slots
    • There are no side-effects
@NorthAmTransAm
  • Asus Z370-A Prime II
    • Two 8GB DIMMs and no side-effects
@maschinenwart
  • ASUS Prime X299-DELUXE-3105 (Intel HEDT)
    • Four 16GB DIMMs and no side-effects
    • Corsair - CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 (memory clock manually set to 2666 MHz)
    • 4 of 8 banks occupied
Hi @CaseySJ, Unfortunately after following the instruction, my Orion studio interface still can not be connected. (interface ->TB2 CABLE - > TB2 to TB3 adapter ->ASUS TB3 PCIE card) My build is quite old, running 10.15.7 with OC 0.60.

The AppleVtd has activated. Inside config.plist, I do need to touch anything, coz the was DisableIoMapper unchecked, there is no dart=0 in Boot-Args. Is that normal?

Should I write the custom firmware for the TB3 PCIE to make it work right?

Here are some snapshot of my system. Thanks man~

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.58.39.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.58.39.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.58.55.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.58.55.png
    269.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.59.14.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.59.14.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.59.23.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 18.59.23.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 19.01.27.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 19.01.27.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 39
Hi @CaseySJ, Unfortunately after following the instruction, my Orion studio interface still can not be connected. (interface ->TB2 CABLE - > TB2 to TB3 adapter ->ASUS TB3 PCIE card) My build is quite old, running 10.15.7 with OC 0.60.

The AppleVtd has activated. Inside config.plist, I do need to touch anything, coz the was DisableIoMapper unchecked, there is no dart=0 in Boot-Args. Is that normal?

Should I write the custom firmware for the TB3 PCIE to make it work right?

Here are some snapshot of my system. Thanks man~
Hello @munky16,

Some comments and questions:
  • In your case it is not necessary to flash the firmware.
  • Are you using Asus ThunderboltEX 3 add-in-card?
  • IOReg screenshot indicates that you are not using a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT. It is advisable to have a hot plug SSDT.
  • What is the exact model name of your Asus X99 board?
  • Does your Antelope Orion have the latest firmware?
  • Are you using Catalina-approved drivers from Antelope?
  • If you connect and power on the Orion before booting macOS, does it connect?
  • Also, when you use IORegistryExplorer, please do not use the search bar. Just scroll the device tree on left side until you get to RP08 and the Thunderbolt section comes into view. Then capture a screenshot.
    • (When we use search bar, the device tree collapses.)

Back