Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Oh well, yes, it’s a real problem for you and I sympathise. I remember that when I decided to build my DAW, you were one the members having troubles with USB… and you still have, bummer!

I have more problems with USB on my MacBook Pro early 2011 but it has only two ports and I have 5 devices and a powered USB3 hub.

I guess your problematic devices are on the USB2 hub? Maybe worth a try to plug one of your MIDI device directly in a black port after it is enabled…

My Nektar 88 key controller is plugged in an USB2 little Amazon powered hub. The hub is on one of the USB2 port, never had a problem.
I can't figure out what causes these errors. I have had everything plugged in in random order in whatever available port or hub, and the amount of errors was about the same.

My previous hacks also had USB errors. And my MBP 2011 too, though less often.

My MBP(13-inch Intel) 2020 is the best, haven't seen an error yet(in 9 months). On the other hand, I am not using many USB peripherals at a time with it. Maybe an iLok and a USB interface, but that's about it.

USB is OK but not great. I've had trouble with idevices not charging, and occasional weird behavior. All fairly random, USB problems have been getting worse over time, increasing with the number of USB devices connected.
I now have at least a dozen. The wavestate dropping off is the worst culprit, but my Ableton Push is also prone to crash the USB bus.
I have a SD card reader(in fact I've had at least 5) that is troublesome also. I often need to replug it several times before it is seen.
I have a USB disk cradle that will sometimes just not show up, and needs to be replugged.
This disk cradle has also trouble mounting on my NAS, so it might just be a piece of crap.

USB is meant for connecting keyboards and mice and not much else. Unfortunately, it has become the cheap worldwide standard for connecting peripherals.

Anyway, I've implemented the advertised USB method in this thread. That is, powered USB2 hub with just USB1-2 devices connected to a USB2/USB3 port on the motherboard, wavestate & Push connected to PCIe USB card with fresco controller.

But, still having problems. I wonder if I should connect the USB2 hub to a real (black) USB2 only port on the mobo. I have these switched off for now to stay under the 15 port limit.

I feel for you. I've been using a M-Audio USB-to-MIDI dongle. I don't think I'll ever buy a controller unless it has a MIDI Out port on it.
Really, the Atari ST had the best MIDI implementation of any computer I can recall.

Is that your replacement for the broken Z390 Designare? :)
This is my old MacBook. I will use it to finish a project which has a deadline for 1st September.:beachball:
Then I'll have a time for thinking about a new mobo and CPU

Hello,
Good to see this thread and build keeps on getting better.
I've gone on holidays and upon coming back, my desktop suddenly won't boot, at all. It wasn't touched or moved while I was away and was still on, minutes before I left.

The symptoms are:
Pressing the power button on the Fractal R6 doesn't respond.
The MB shows led lights when turned on, but the RAM doesn't. Although I'm pretty sure RAM only lights up on boot.

Some google searches suggest the R6 power button can become faulty. Is there a way to fix it, or better to jump start the MB without it?

I've never faced such an issue before, what are the other troubleshooting procedure I could undergo?

Is there a way to fix it, or better to jump start the MB without it?
Replace the power button. FD should give you one for free.

To jump start just short the two pins on the board where you connected up the pwr sw.

Thanks for the VERY fast reply @trs96 !

I can't figure out which one is the pwr sw on the gigabyte Designare Z390.
I tried shorting the pins where the R6 front panel connects, but to no avail.

Thanks for the VERY fast reply @trs96 !

I can't figure out which one is the pwr sw on the gigabyte Designare Z390.
I tried shorting the pins where the R6 front panel connects, but to no avail.
Refer to your motherboard manual. If you lost it search on line for a PDF and read that.

found it on page 31 of the maual, but still not booting... Simply touching both pins with a screwdriver should be enough right?

Back