Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @CaseySJ,
It even wasn't able to show Gigabyte splash screen.

Looks like the mobo has electric issues as I switched every single piece of my build (including cables) and the issue is still present (very poor BT connection with Fenvi, also with Intel CNVI on Windows, and noises in my Focal studio monitors with UAD sound card). Also tried the build in another house
Ouch. If there's no video output in BIOS (no splash screen) then it points to a more serious issue with the board.

Feels like ill leave Designare family for another Hackintosh build or for next Apple Silicon Mac...
Fortunately there are still many choices...

I'm not aware of such issues. Can you clarify?

@CaseySJ

When I try to take a screen clip with CMD-SHIFT-4 the OS goes through the motions of letting me draw a clipping box around what I want, and when I finish the screen clip, the shutter sound plays as if a screenshot was captured, but no screenshot is saved to the desktop.

When trying to do a screen record using Quicktime, I can go through the motions of setting up the area I want to record, but once I start recording the record controls disappear. After that, I cannot start a new recording because Quicktime acts like it is still currently recording (no file is being create that I could see).

Thanks for the help by the way, let me know whatever the mechanisms we have here for reciprocity.

@CaseySJ

When I try to take a screen clip with CMD-SHIFT-4 the OS goes through the motions of letting me draw a clipping box around what I want, and when I finish the screen clip, the shutter sound plays as if a screenshot was captured, but no screenshot is saved to the desktop.

When trying to do a screen record using Quicktime, I can go through the motions of setting up the area I want to record, but once I start recording the record controls disappear. After that, I cannot start a new recording because Quicktime acts like it is still currently recording (no file is being create that I could see).

Thanks for the help by the way, let me know whatever the mechanisms we have here for reciprocity.
Hello @khaoskosmos,

During screen video recording there will be a new icon on the menu bar (a red icon) to alert you that recoding is taking place. Simply click on that icon to stop the recording and then the file will be saved.

Have you already tried that?

@CaseySJ

Don’t you have some utilities hijacking standard shortcuts?

Hm. Just lost my Korg Wavestate(USB2) again. Connected straight to my new Fresco chip equipped PCIe USB board. So, still USB trouble.
Any ideas/tips welcome. May also be a Korg bug, of course. But I haven't seen other WS users complaining.
I know it won’t help you a lot but my Hack/DAW is « almost » flawless regarding USB.

I say « almost » because I have one device having some random problems: it is an USB-C all in mini-dock that I use to read SD cards (EHX looper file transfer). Once in a while, I have to insert the card a second time before it mounts. It sports one USB-C port, one USB2, one USB3, the SD card reader and one USB-C charging only port. The only one having issues is the SD reader…

I guess it has more to do with the device itself and the fact that I plug it on the top USB-C connector on my Fractal case. It is so rare that I don’t bother and all other USB-C devices work correctly on this port (USB-C key, Samsung SSD portable…).

I would try without one device at a time for a couple of days to see if you can pinpoint the offending one…

Was it okay when you had Clover or older MacOS’es?

Do I remember correctly and you also tried a powered USB hub?

I know it won’t help you a lot but my Hack/DAW is « almost » flawless regarding USB.

I say « almost » because I have one device having some random problems: it is an USB-C all in mini-dock that I use to read SD cards (EHX looper file transfer). Once in a while, I have to insert the card a second time before it mounts. It sports one USB-C port, one USB2, one USB3, the SD card reader and one USB-C charging only port. The only one having issues is the SD reader…

I guess it has more to do with the device itself and the fact that I plug it on the top USB-C connector on my Fractal case. It is so rare that I don’t bother and all other USB-C devices work correctly on this port (USB-C key, Samsung SSD portable…).

I would try without one device at a time for a couple of days to see if you can pinpoint the offending one…

Was it okay when you had Clover or older MacOS’es?

Do I remember correctly and you also tried a powered USB hub?
USB is OK but not great. I've had trouble with idevices not charging, and occasional weird behavior. All fairly random, USB problems have been getting worse over time, increasing with the number of USB devices connected.
I now have at least a dozen. The wavestate dropping off is the worst culprit, but my Ableton Push is also prone to crash the USB bus.
I have a SD card reader(in fact I've had at least 5) that is troublesome also. I often need to replug it several times before it is seen.
I have a USB disk cradle that will sometimes just not show up, and needs to be replugged.
This disk cradle has also trouble mounting on my NAS, so it might just be a piece of crap.

USB is meant for connecting keyboards and mice and not much else. Unfortunately, it has become the cheap worldwide standard for connecting peripherals.

Anyway, I've implemented the advertised USB method in this thread. That is, powered USB2 hub with just USB1-2 devices connected to a USB2/USB3 port on the motherboard, wavestate & Push connected to PCIe USB card with fresco controller.

But, still having problems. I wonder if I should connect the USB2 hub to a real (black) USB2 only port on the mobo. I have these switched off for now to stay under the 15 port limit.

USB is OK but not great. I've had trouble with idevices not charging, and occasional weird behavior. All fairly random, USB problems have been getting worse over time, increasing with the number of USB devices connected.
I now have at least a dozen. The wavestate dropping off is the worst culprit, but my Ableton Push is also prone to crash the USB bus.
I have a SD card reader(in fact I've had at least 5) that is troublesome also. I often need to replug it several times before it is seen.
I have a USB disk cradle that will sometimes just not show up, and needs to be replugged.
This disk cradle has also trouble mounting on my NAS, so it might just be a piece of crap.

USB is meant for connecting keyboards and mice and not much else. Unfortunately, it has become the cheap worldwide standard for connecting peripherals.

Anyway, I've implemented the advertised USB method in this thread. That is, powered USB2 hub with just USB1-2 devices connected to a USB2/USB3 port on the motherboard, wavestate & Push connected to PCIe USB card with fresco controller.

But, still having problems. I wonder if I should connect the USB2 hub to a real (black) USB2 only port on the mobo. I have these switched off for now to stay under the 15 port limit.
Oh well, yes, it’s a real problem for you and I sympathise. I remember that when I decided to build my DAW, you were one the members having troubles with USB… and you still have, bummer!

I have more problems with USB on my MacBook Pro early 2011 but it has only two ports and I have 5 devices and a powered USB3 hub.

I guess your problematic devices are on the USB2 hub? Maybe worth a try to plug one of your MIDI device directly in a black port after it is enabled…

My Nektar 88 key controller is plugged in an USB2 little Amazon powered hub. The hub is on one of the USB2 port, never had a problem.

Last edited:
IMG_0335.jpeg

... and I can't hear my breath anymore
If I open Xcode it will definitely burn my desk

Back