Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This particular system (Z490 Vision D) has a Fenvi with locally attached antennas. My Designare Z390 has an outboard antenna so WiFi runs faster, but it has never attained a speed anywhere close to 1300 Mbps! Both systems are at least one room away from an Atlas node.

What is the make/model of your router? Is it located in the same room?
Netgear RA120 WiFi 6 router in the same room.

Netgear RA120 WiFi 6 router in the same room.
Looks more like a Manta Ray than a hawk to me.

Screen Shot 16.jpg
Screen Shot 17.jpg

2020 wreaked havoc on our home network & Internet as all 8 of us (me, wife, & 6 kids) were pounding away on our 300Mbps Spectrum connection. Five of the kids home schooling locally, to Kentucky, and Krakow, as well as my work day connection to Vienna, Austria. Things were not good.

I upgrade to Spectrum Gig-Internet (not really gig) and then rebuilt my entire network with Ubiquiti hardware. I dumped the Netgear Orbi mesh and went with a Ubiquiti UDM router attached to 24 port POE switch, with 2 raspberry-pi pi-holes acting as my primary and secondary DNS servers. I then added an 8-port POE switch to my office with an In-Wall Access Point for the 2nd floor WiFi and an Access Point nanoHD for the rest of downstairs. Finally, a few months ago I topped it all off with a WiFi6 Long-Range Access Point in the garage to cover the majority of the front and backyard and an extra mini 4-port switch. Of course, everything runs off one of my many APC UPS's, cause East coast weather can be unpredictable. Yes, it's a bit of over-the-top, but it works flawlessly.
IMG_0505.jpeg

2020 wreaked havoc on our home network & internet as all 8 of us (me, wife, & 6 kids) were pounding away on our 300Mbps Spectrum connection. 5 of the kids home schooling locally, to Kentucky, and Krakow, as well as my work day connection to Vienna, Austria. Things were not good.

I upgrade to Spectrum Gig-Internet (not really gig) and then rebuilt my entire network with Ubiquiti hardware. I dumped the Netgear Orbi mesh and went with a Ubiquiti UDM router attached to 24 port POE switch, with 2 raspberry-pi pi-holes acting as my primary and secondary DNS servers. I then added an 8-port POE switch to my office with an In-Wall Access Point for the 2nd floor WiFi and an Access Point nanoHD for the rest of downstairs. Finally, a few months ago I topped it all off with a WiFi6 Long-Range Access Point in the garage to cover the majority of the front and backyard and an extra mini 4-port switch. Of course, everything runs off one of my many APC UPS's, cause East coast weather can be unpredictable...
View attachment 526943
And the Oscar for Most Insane Network in a Residential Setting goes to... :)

Yes, it's a bit of over-the-top, but it works flawlessly.
Over-the-top is a badge of honor! I've been unapologetically guilty of that from time to time...

2020 wreaked havoc on our home network & internet as all 8 of us (me, wife, & 6 kids) were pounding away on our 300Mbps Spectrum connection. 5 of the kids home schooling locally, to Kentucky, and Krakow, as well as my work day connection to Vienna, Austria. Things were not good.

I upgrade to Spectrum Gig-Internet (not really gig) and then rebuilt my entire network with Ubiquiti hardware. I dumped the Netgear Orbi mesh and went with a Ubiquiti UDM router attached to 24 port POE switch, with 2 raspberry-pi pi-holes acting as my primary and secondary DNS servers. I then added an 8-port POE switch to my office with an In-Wall Access Point for the 2nd floor WiFi and an Access Point nanoHD for the rest of downstairs. Finally, a few months ago I topped it all off with a WiFi6 Long-Range Access Point in the garage to cover the majority of the front and backyard and an extra mini 4-port switch. Of course, everything runs off one of my many APC UPS's, cause East coast weather can be unpredictable. Yes, it's a bit of over-the-top, but it works flawlessly.
Do you have HomeKit devices at home ? If yes, are they working correctly?

Do you have HomeKit devices at home ? If yes, are they working correctly?
Yes, I have a (ahem) few of them (38)!?! :eek: Wemo, Koogeek, Eufy, and Tuya. I've got them segmented off on a dedicated separate VLAN called IoT. My IoT VLAN can access the internet but not my home network, and my home LAN has direct access my IoT VLAN via a dedicated routing. Again, "slightly" over the top but it keeps my IoT devices from accessing any private/critical data on my home network. Here's a simple shot of my network topology with the VLAN removed.
1628983752253.png

Last edited:
And the Oscar for Most Insane Network in a Residential Setting goes to... :)

Over-the-top is a badge of honor! I've been unapologetically guilty of that from time to time...
Thanks @CaseySJ, I'm humbled by the "award"?! :lol:

After 30 years of working, living, & breathing technology, I still embody the saying "Go big or go home". Albeit, from my military days it was "Do it right the first time, or do it again".

@jjsenecal Nice setup! I started dipping into Unifi last year with an AP and a switch, and was considering a UDM to replace the old Time Capsule (bye old friend, it's been great but it's time to part ways). But many features still missing in the the Unifi controller and too many reports of users fed up with waiting and waiting for Ubiquiti to add everything from EdgeOS made me decide to go with a home-rolled router instead.

So now I have OPNsense running in a vm on Proxmox on a NUC, with separate containers for the Unifi controller and a pi-hole. Using Apple's TB-ethernet and TB2->3 adapter for a second NIC.

I also have a bunch of Homekit stuff, but I block internet access for their VLAN (and selectively open to check for firmware updates). After Eufy accidentally mixed up customer cameras I don't trust them. The cameras work fine through the Home app with Homekit Secure Video, only thing I miss out on is two-way audio. Gateways from Ikea and Tado also have no problem with no internet.

Comments/questions:
  • There are two Thunderbolt SSDTs in the ACPI/Patched folder (V3 and V4). Only one should be present.
  • Does Thunderbolt appear in IOReg?
  • In Clover config.plist, is Inject Kexts enabled or disabled?
View attachment 526645
I removed the V3 and yes Inject Kext is enabled, I can see thunderbolt into IORegistryExplorer, but for now the usb issue is still there. I tried to disconnect every usb and thunderbolt device and check the speed, but it's always the same

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-15 at 14.26.22.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-15 at 14.26.22.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 39
Back