Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi! Many thanks to CaseySJ and the whole community for what you are doing.
I built my Hackintosh according to the CaseySJ instructions more than a year ago - in January 2020. All this time, I have been working on a stable, productive workstation with macOS Catalina and Clover. I didn't update anything, because everything worked as it should and I could not reboot for weeks.
I upgraded to Big Sur a few weeks ago. It was a clean install of 15.1 and OC 0.7.0, after which I upgraded to OC 0.7.2. But unfortunately now my computer is very unstable - the screen freezes and I have to manually restart. I was unable to identify the dependency when this happens - the system can work for 20 hours, and sometimes freezes after 1 hour. It freezes when I work in Davinci Resolve, or listen to music in iTunes, it freezes even when I close all programs and leave it for a while. I managed to notice that always before freezing in Activity Monitor, the kernel_task process rises to the top, more than 100%, the mouse cursor starts to lag, this can last for several minutes and then freezes.
I tried unplugging all devices except keyboard and mouse, but that didn't fix the problem.
I really hope that you can tell me how to solve this problem.

My config:
macOS Big Sur 11.5.1 (20G80)
OC 0.7.2
i9-9900k
z390 Designare (BIOS F9i OFFICIAL)
64Gb DDR4 2666MHz Kingston HyperX Predator (HX426C13PB3K4/64) (4x16Gb KIT)
Radeon VII
Samsung EVO Plus 500Gb (BOOT)
A-DATA GAMMIX S11 Pro 2Tb x2 (RAID 0)
Crucial MX500 2Tb
Fenvi FV-T919
Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k (PCI-E)
Sonnet Solo 10G Thunderbolt
Fluid Audio SRI-2 (USB 2.0)
Davinci Resolve Speed Editor (Bluetooth)
Apple Keyboard (Bluetooth)
Logitech G903 (USB 2.0)
ShuttlePRO v2 (USB 2.0)

My EFI without serial numbers and a few recent panic reports in the attachment.
Hello @vvooster,

My first inclination is to suspect NVMeFix.kext. Please try disabling it in OpenCore Configurator and reboot. Does it help?
Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 4.08.17 PM.png

I even get white noise when the UAD Apollo 8P is turned off but the Thunderbolt cable is plugged in. Could it be the cable or perhaps a ground loop issue with the motherboard itself?
Is this white noise heard with Phantom power turned on or off?

Hi @CaseySJ !
I opened VT-d in the BIOS and deleted the memory area of the DMAR table according to your guide. After entering the system, I saw that "AppleVTD" has been successfully loaded.

Since upgrading Big Sur, the network card (BCM57762) of my Thunderbolt 3 docking station has been unavailable. After turning on "AppleVTD", it successfully works normally and supports AVB.

Ethernet and WiFi are still normal, but unfortunately the sound card doesn’t work anymore. Turn off vt-d in the BIOS and it works normally."AppleHDAController.kext" shows that it has been loaded, but "AppleHDA.kext" has not been loaded, and the layout-id has been successfully injected in ioreg.
Xnip 2021-08-09_16-59-29@2x.png

Xnip 2021-08-09_17-01-05@2x.png
Xnip 2021-08-09_16-59-37@2x.png

Xnip 2021-08-09_16-28-29@2x.png

Last edited:
Hello @xanderevo,

Because Thunderbolt is missing, let's first do the following:
  • Install BIOS F9i by downloading it from here.
  • Configure BIOS parameters afterwards:
    • Always start with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)
    • Then configure the parameters (click here to go to BIOS settings)
    • Double check Thunderbolt settings, particularly:
      • Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
      • GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
Boot Mojave and check both:
  • USB speed
  • Existence of Thunderbolt
If USB speed is still off, try this (although I have not tested it myself):
  1. Disconnect the electricity power to the PSU. (Flip power switch on PSU to off should be the same.)
  2. Press and hold the ON/Power button for 30 seconds, then release.
  3. Reconnect power, boot into macOS, and try again.
Did all of the above, no change.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 14.21.49.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 14.21.49.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 14.23.41.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 14.23.41.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 37
Hello @yosoyoco,

It is okay to install the standard BIOS F9i (without Thunderbolt PEI/DXE drivers) to see if the problem persists. It would be helpful to know if your hot plug issue occurs only with the modified BIOS.
same issue with the standard BIOS. With the modified BIOS, ThunderboltConfig does not appear in ioreg for RP05 NHI0...

Hi @CaseySJ !
I opened VT-d in the BIOS and deleted the memory area of the DMAR table according to your guide. After entering the system, I saw that "AppleVTD" has been successfully loaded.

Since upgrading Big Sur, the network card (BCM57762) of my Thunderbolt 3 docking station has been unavailable. After turning on "AppleVTD", it successfully works normally and supports AVB.

Ethernet and WiFi are still normal, but unfortunately the sound card doesn’t work anymore. Turn off vt-d in the BIOS and it works normally."AppleHDAController.kext" shows that it has been loaded, but "AppleHDA.kext" has not been loaded, and the layout-id has been successfully injected in ioreg.
View attachment 526610
View attachment 526608View attachment 526609
View attachment 526606
Please send to me your original DMAR and tell me what SMBIOS you use.

Is this white noise heard with Phantom power turned on or off?
Like I’ve said in one of my precedent post, I suffered from this, same as @WilliamBrantree. The cure was to interrupt ground path between audio interface and amp/powered monitors.

I think William solved it with a 3 to 2 prongs adapter. In my case, I opted for boxes with transformer isolation and ground lift circuit (in the audio path).

I don’t think, but I could be wrong, that it has something to do with phantom power.

Attachments

• System DMAR.aml
    212 bytes · Views: 40
Hello @Daranski,

If SmashEnabler.kext is compatible with Big Sur, you could try one of these two options:

Option 1: Install into /Library/Extensions
  • At the OpenCore Picker, press space bar to reveal extra options. One of them will be Toggle SIP. You can simply select that option.
  • Then select your macOS boot disk and boot Big Sur.
  • This takes care of items 2, 3, 4, 5 in your original list.
  • Now perform Step 6 and boot back into Big Sur without changing SIP.
  • Check if your GameCube controller is working.
  • If it is, you can toggle SIP back by following the first bullet directly above.

Option 2: Install into OpenCore
  • Alternatively, you can try installing SmashEnabler into your OpenCore EFI.
  • Copy the file to your OpenCore OC/Kexts folder in the EFI partition.
  • Add it to the Kernel --> Add section by running OpenCore Configurator.
Thanks. Got it working but not when SIP is enabled.

Will try option 2. When adding the kext in Kernel do I use ProperTree or is their a manual way to do it within OC configurator? There is no executible file in the kext package just an info.plist

Last edited:
Back