Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ , @Elias64Fr
About your modded F9i (thunderbolt Dxe)
I have the GC-Titan playing with the Z390 onboard Titan, and HotPlug behave curiously. Hotplug seems to trigg the wrong thunderbolt bus. Did you notice that ?
One sound interface on GC-Titan, and another sound interface on Z390. If I turn on one interface, the driver will not load. If I turn on the other interface, the two drivers are loaded. I tried to inject DROMs with inverted bus IDs but no better results...

Hi people, Hi @CaseySJ

I am in a strange situation after a system restore, upgraded to a better M.2 all my USB ports seems to be slow/unusable, and I'm trying to fix this issue since a week without luck. Maybe someone of you can point me into the right direction.

In this scenario my USB stick is plugged to the HS05 port (the front one on my dark base pro). I also tried different external drives, different usb sticks and different ports: those are my read/write speeds:

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 23.48.20.jpg

After looking at this in HackIntool, there seems to be no issue at all and speeds are OK. That's why it's even more confusing. Maybe you can give a look at my EFI, the kext or the SSDTs. Something is off but I can't figure what.

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 23.51.32.jpg

This is what the Library/Extensions looks like:

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 23.57.30.jpg

I'm on Mojave 10.14.6. It worked rock solid until I changed my disk and restored it from a backup.

BIOS is configured according to the guide. The dual boot on Windows has no issue. So I guess it's something on the hack config side.

More details are those in the system report something is definitely not working:

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 00.00.36.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 00.00.49.jpg

Thunderbolt is also gone:

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 00.02.21.jpg

I have an Apple WiFi/Bluetooth card which is working.

Any help is appreciated. Serials are removed from the EFI.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.8 MB · Views: 40
Hi Casey,

I wish to connect a Gamecube contoller adapter, these are the instructions I need to follow so it can be recognised:

1. Download the SmashEnabler.kext provided here in the thread. Save it to the standard Downloads directory.
  2. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down command (⌘) and R to boot in the Recovery Mode.
  3. Choose your hard drive & user and type in your password. Above in the menu bar click on Utilities > Terminal.
  4. Type in the following line to temporarily disable the SIP: csrutil disable
  5. Type in reboot to save your changes and normally start your Mac again.
  6. Start Terminal and copy over the following lines one by one. The first line must be confirmed with your password.

sudo cp -r ~/Downloads/SmashEnabler.kext /Library/Extensions/SmashEnabler.kext
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/SmashEnabler.kext
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo reboot

7. Now after the reboot plug in your GameCube controller and adapter and start Dolphin. Please test out, if the controller is working and make sure that you choose GameCube Adapter for Wii U in the controller settings.
  8. If it's working you have to activate the SIP again for security reasons. Reboot your Mac again to the Recovery Mode. (see above)
  9. Like before open in the menu bar Terminal and type in csrutil enable
  10. Type in reboot and you are ready to go. Step in the world of GameCube games. :)
On my Hack, what's the best way to go about this? and where best to disable SIP?
Running Big Sur OC 0.7.2
Thanks
Hello @Daranski,

If SmashEnabler.kext is compatible with Big Sur, you could try one of these two options:

Option 1: Install into /Library/Extensions
  • At the OpenCore Picker, press space bar to reveal extra options. One of them will be Toggle SIP. You can simply select that option.
  • Then select your macOS boot disk and boot Big Sur.
  • This takes care of items 2, 3, 4, 5 in your original list.
  • Now perform Step 6 and boot back into Big Sur without changing SIP.
  • Check if your GameCube controller is working.
  • If it is, you can toggle SIP back by following the first bullet directly above.

Option 2: Install into OpenCore
  • Alternatively, you can try installing SmashEnabler into your OpenCore EFI.
  • Copy the file to your OpenCore OC/Kexts folder in the EFI partition.
  • Add it to the Kernel --> Add section by running OpenCore Configurator.

Hi @CaseySJ , @Elias64Fr
About your modded F9i (thunderbolt Dxe)
I have the GC-Titan playing with the Z390 onboard Titan, and HotPlug behave curiously. Hotplug seems to trigg the wrong thunderbolt bus. Did you notice that ?
One sound interface on GC-Titan, and another sound interface on Z390. If I turn on one interface, the driver will not load. If I turn on the other interface, the two drivers are loaded. I tried to inject DROMs with inverted bus IDs but no better results...
Hello @yosoyoco,

It is okay to install the standard BIOS F9i (without Thunderbolt PEI/DXE drivers) to see if the problem persists. It would be helpful to know if your hot plug issue occurs only with the modified BIOS.

Hi! Many thanks to CaseySJ and the whole community for what you are doing.
I built my Hackintosh according to the CaseySJ instructions more than a year ago - in January 2020. All this time, I have been working on a stable, productive workstation with macOS Catalina and Clover. I didn't update anything, because everything worked as it should and I could not reboot for weeks.
I upgraded to Big Sur a few weeks ago. It was a clean install of 15.1 and OC 0.7.0, after which I upgraded to OC 0.7.2. But unfortunately now my computer is very unstable - the screen freezes and I have to manually restart. I was unable to identify the dependency when this happens - the system can work for 20 hours, and sometimes freezes after 1 hour. It freezes when I work in Davinci Resolve, or listen to music in iTunes, it freezes even when I close all programs and leave it for a while. I managed to notice that always before freezing in Activity Monitor, the kernel_task process rises to the top, more than 100%, the mouse cursor starts to lag, this can last for several minutes and then freezes.
I tried unplugging all devices except keyboard and mouse, but that didn't fix the problem.
I really hope that you can tell me how to solve this problem.

My config:
macOS Big Sur 11.5.1 (20G80)
OC 0.7.2
i9-9900k
z390 Designare (BIOS F9i OFFICIAL)
64Gb DDR4 2666MHz Kingston HyperX Predator (HX426C13PB3K4/64) (4x16Gb KIT)
Radeon VII
Samsung EVO Plus 500Gb (BOOT)
A-DATA GAMMIX S11 Pro 2Tb x2 (RAID 0)
Crucial MX500 2Tb
Fenvi FV-T919
Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k (PCI-E)
Sonnet Solo 10G Thunderbolt
Fluid Audio SRI-2 (USB 2.0)
Davinci Resolve Speed Editor (Bluetooth)
Apple Keyboard (Bluetooth)
Logitech G903 (USB 2.0)
ShuttlePRO v2 (USB 2.0)

My EFI without serial numbers and a few recent panic reports in the attachment.

Attachments

• EFI_vvooster.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 33
  • panic_reports.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Yes it is connected to a receiver
Please see the post below by @suren6791, in which he states:
SOUND OPTICAL - So I managed to get this working late last night as well and it was not your EFI but my stupidity. My AV Receiver was not set properly to PCM to output sound from the optical cable.

Hi CaseySJ! Turns out that the thread solved the issue and cancelled my order for another thunderbolt cable. Was able to use a three to two prong adapter and now the white noise is gone!
Had a similar problem with my Presonus Quantum 2626 and my stack of guitar/bass/studio tube amps and I’ve gone the way to break the loops via lifting ground in the audio path (different iso boxes). The other way, lifting the AC ground, is a good way to go to the Great Gig in the Sky…

Hi people, Hi @CaseySJ

I am in a strange situation after a system restore, upgraded to a better m.2 all my USB ports seems to be slow/unusable and I'm trying to fix this issue since a week without luck maybe someone of you can point me into the right direction.

In this scenario my usb stick is plugged to the HS05 port (the front one on my dark base pro) I also tried different external drives, different usb sticks and different ports: those are my read/write speeds:

After looking at this in hackintool there seems to be no issue at all and speeds are ok, that's why it's even more confusing maybe you can give a look at my EFI, the kext or the SSDTs, something is off but I can't figure what.

This is what the library/extensions looks like:

I'm on Mojave 10.14.6, it worked rock solid until I changed my disk and restored it from a backup.

Bios is configured according to the guide, the dual boot on windows has no issue, so I guess it's something on the hack config side.

More details are those in the system report something is definitely not working:

Thunderbolt is also gone:

I have an apple wifi/bluetooth card which is working.

Any help is appreciated, serials are removed from the EFI.
Hello @xanderevo,

Because Thunderbolt is missing, let's first do the following:
  • Install BIOS F9i by downloading it from here.
  • Configure BIOS parameters afterwards:
    • Always start with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)
    • Then configure the parameters (click here to go to BIOS settings)
    • Double check Thunderbolt settings, particularly:
      • Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
      • GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
Boot Mojave and check both:
  • USB speed
  • Existence of Thunderbolt
If USB speed is still off, try this (although I have not tested it myself):
  1. Disconnect the electricity power to the PSU. (Flip power switch on PSU to off should be the same.)
  2. Press and hold the ON/Power button for 30 seconds, then release.
  3. Reconnect power, boot into macOS, and try again.

Hi people, Hi @CaseySJ

I am in a strange situation after a system restore, upgraded to a better m.2 all my USB ports seems to be slow/unusable and I'm trying to fix this issue since a week without luck maybe someone of you can point me into the right direction.

In this scenario my usb stick is plugged to the HS05 port (the front one on my dark base pro) I also tried different external drives, different usb sticks and different ports: those are my read/write speeds:

View attachment 526579
Quite normal behavior with some USB sticks unfortunately. Better checking speed with something like a small USB external HDD.

**Sorry, edit: just saw that USB external HDD’s behave the same for you. No, not normal at all.
Every USB ports is the same?

Have you tried disconnecting all USB gear and trying one port à a time?

Back