Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ
I have a strange issue I haven't been able to find online.
I updated to macOS 11.5.1 after updating to OC 0.7.2 using HackinDROM v1.5.0
When I boot into OC, I select my windows 10 drive, and it stays at a black screen.
After 2-3 reboots it displays the "Preparing Automatic Repair" and just freezes at that screen.
I thought maybe it takes a while, but I left it overnight, and it's still at that message.
I set my BIOS to boot into windows 10 directly, and that actually worked.
For some reason I can't log into windows from OC boot menu. I have override in BIOS.
I tried both resetNVRAM and cleanNVRAM. I'm not sure of the difference, so I tried both.
Any idea?

EDIT: I also updated windows to latest update
I wonder if this is due to DMAR table modifications we made in OpenCore 0.7.2. Let's try this quick experiment:
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 10.44.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 10.44.27 AM.png

Then save the file and reboot. From OpenCore Picker, choose Windows. Does it start up normally?

For those in the thread who are using UAD interfaces with Thunderbolt 3, what cables is everyone using? I noticed that I have white noise when my monitor speakers are plugged in with the UAD interface turned on and have deduced it down to my braided Thunderbolt 3 cables.

Hey @CaseySJ . I updated from OC 071 to 072 (using HackinDROM 150 latest version) and after that Windows Bitlocker keeps asking for my recovery key (which I have, so no problem). After filling it in, it get's stuck and won't boot into Windows (usually you would see the Windows circle loading). It boots MacOS Monterey perfectly fine though.

For now I went back to OC 071 and everything is fine with that one.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks for the quick turnaround. Looks like 2666MHz alone may not be the answer.
Hi Casey, I was wondering if you could please help me. I've been combing through every post for months even years trying everything to get my Antelope Orion 32+ gen 2 Thunderbolt to work. It's been a long time waiting for this to be a possibility, and I see finally after the long wait some of you geniuses have found a way!!

I've gotten as far as to Enable VT-d in my BIOS, and its showing up in IOReg, as AppleVTD

ioreg.png

I've tried with both XMP disabled and on profile 1 with no real difference. My WiFi is fully functional:

wifi.png

But I wasn't able to check the Ethernet since I'm not hardwired in.

So, according to my IOReg, Apple VTD is working and system profiler says I'm getting some sort of Thunderbolt controller recognition:

system profile.png

But I'm still not able to connect to my Antelope interface via Thunderbolt. I'm using an Apple Thunderbolt 2 female to Thunderbolt 3 male adapter with a Thunderbolt 2 cable to my Antelope Orion 32+ gen 2 interface. The interface is working via USB, and my RME MADI PCIe card. But ultimately I'd love to finally be able to use the Thunderbolt capabilities and the real time AfX.

I thought, once I had AppleVTD working, the interface would be recognized, but its still not connecting. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help and I would be sooo ever grateful!

I've attached a copy of my config.plist and my EFI folder. I'm using the most up-to-date Antelope Thunderbolt driver 4.4.0. and the most current Antelope launcher. Please let me know if I missed any info that would help shed some light into my problem.

Here's my specs:

system.png

Z390 Designare
BIOS f8i
i9-9900K
Sapphire Radeon RX 570
4x 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
ram.png

macOS 10.15.7 Catalina
iMac 19,1

Also, I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work, I've learned so much from you, while lurking in the audience. I really hope you or someone with alot more knowledge than me can chime in and help me figure this out. Thanks.

Attachments

• config copy.plist
    35.6 KB · Views: 38
  • EFI.zip
    64 MB · Views: 48
Hey @CaseySJ . I updated from OC 071 to 072 (using HackinDROM 150 latest version) and after that Windows Bitlocker keeps asking for my recovery key (which I have, so no problem). After filling it in, it get's stuck and won't boot into Windows (usually you would see the Windows circle loading). It boots MacOS Monterey perfectly fine though.

For now I went back to OC 071 and everything is fine with that one.

Any idea what the problem might be?
Hello @joostiphone, have you already tried disabling the two DMAR-related entries in ACPI section of config.plist as mentioned 5 posts above yours?

Hi Casey, I was wondering if you could please help me. I've been combing through every post for months even years trying everything to get my antelope Orion 32+ gen 2 thunderbolt to work. I'ts been a long time waiting for this to be a possibility and I see finally after the long wait some of you geniuses have found a way!!

I've gotten as far as to Enable Vt-d in my bios, and its showing up in Ioreg, as appleVTD

View attachment 526536

I've tried with both xmp disabled and on profile 1 with no real difference. My Wifi is fully functional:

View attachment 526532

but I wasn't able to check the ethernet since i'm not hardwired in.

So according to my ioreg apple VTD is working and system profiler says I'm getting some sort of thunderbolt controller recognition:

View attachment 526533

but i'm still not able to connect to my antelope interface via thunderbolt. I'm using an apple thunderbolt 2 female to thunderbolt 3 male adapter with a thunderbolt 2 cable to my Antelope Orion 32+ gen 2 interface. The interface is working via usb, and my RME MADI PCIE card. But ultimately I'd love to finally be able to use the thunderbolt capabilties and the real time AfX.

I thought once I had AppleVT-D working the interface would be recognized, but its still not connecting. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help and I would be sooo ever grateful!

I've attached a copy of my config.plist, and my EFI folder. I'm using the most up-to-date antelope thunderbolt driver 4.4.0. and the most current antelope launcher. Please let me know if i missed any info that would help shed some light into my problem.

Here's my specs:

View attachment 526535

z390 designare
bios f8i
i9 9900k
sapphire radeon rx570
4x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
View attachment 526534
mac osx 10.15.7 catalina
imac 19,1

Also just wanted to thank you for all your hard work, I've learned so much from you, while lurking in the audience. I really hope you or someone with alot more knowledge than me can chime in and help me figure this out. Thanks.
Hello @BenjaminBlank,

You’ve done everything correctly and thanks for providing such a complete description.

Regarding BIOS, I think you meant F9i instead of F8i. In any case please check BIOS —> Thunderbolt Boot Support. Try setting it to “Boot Once”.

Also please see @qthegaijin’s posts in this thread, such as:

Last edited:
For those in the thread who are using UAD interfaces with Thunderbolt 3, what cables is everyone using? I noticed that I have white noise when my monitor speakers are plugged in with the UAD interface turned on and have deduced it down to my braided Thunderbolt 3 cables.
I'm using Apple TB2 cables with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapters on the Z390 end. My UAD Quad is only TB2, same with the Multidock. If you recently reinstalled the UAD software and driver, make sure that your Mon Level control panel didn't jump from 14dB to 20dB and that your Dim switch didn't get toggled. Just in case...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 2.25.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 2.25.43 AM.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 28
Back