Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Tick = Enabled
in this case Disabling Input Output Mapper is enabled
For Apple VT-d you should disable (no tick) DisableIoMapper quirk

Also please note that during the update process HackinDROM App keeps your previous configuration as you have configured. Only new fields and/or not matching field types (ex: field x of type String becomes Boolean) will have Admin's configured values.
+ If x field's type of Old and New EFI are the same but OpenCore accepting values are not the same anymore, HackinDROM will try to put OpenCore's defined default value.
@CaseySJ
Hi again :) @Inqnuam @CaseySJ, sorry to be a thorn, I'm still confused about AppleVTD, what are the benefits of enabling this other than the Thunderbolt advantages? I have googled but cannot find any information. Also, do I follow the instructions here: Enable AppleVTD with No Impact to WiFi and Ethernet or the Update OC 0.7.2 mini guide. As far as I can see the only difference between the two set of instructions is this:
  • OpenCore --> Remove dart=0 from boot-args if it exists
my config boot args still have dart=0 (What is this again?)

Hi again :) @Inqnuam @CaseySJ, sorry to be a thorn, I'm still confused about AppleVTD, what are the benefits of enabling this other than the Thunderbolt advantages? I have googled but cannot find any information. Also, do I follow the instructions here: Enable AppleVTD with No Impact to WiFi and Ethernet or the Update OC 0.7.2 mini guide. As far as I can see the only difference between the two set of instructions is this:
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 23.31.13.png

If you need more info about a specific boot argument simply search in in Boot Arguments in Create EFI section
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 23.34.23.png

Apple VT-d is good to have enabled when you are Thunderbolt Device user
That improves Thunderbolt Device support on different macOS version and TB devices, like Antelope Sound Cards or Apple TB > Ethernet adapter

Last edited:
Try iMacPro1,1
I can't simply just change my platform type to that though can I? I thought by doing that it changes your serial numbers and so on which in turn affect AppleID @ iCloud

View attachment 526372

If you need more info about a specific boot argument simply search in in Boot Arguments in Create EFI section
View attachment 526373

Apple VT-d is good to have enabled when you are Thunderbolt Device user
That improves Thunderbolt Device support on different macOS version and TB devices, like Antelope Sound Cards or Apple TB > Ethernet adapter
Thanks heaps for that info :)

I can't simply just change my platform type to that though can I? I thought by doing that it changes your serial numbers and so on which in turn affect AppleID @ iCloud
First of all Log out from iCloud, then change only that SystemProductName to iMacPro1,1 reboot and check if it worked for you

I have an overclocking question with this Z390 with an Noctua air-cooled setup:
5GHz all cores, vcore =1.28V, RAM = 2666 MHz 1.2V

I'm aiming for a balance of stability, performance, and system longevity. Is general processor stress determined of both package temperature and cpu vcore? Or is it all about package temperature?
Overclocking is not recommended for Macs (and even less for Hackintoshes)
If you still decide to overclock so my recommendation is to always control highest indicated temperature (here Package Temperature)

CPU will still work fine even at 95 degrees if it stays stable, but not sur if your OS will stay stable.
As you can see Apple Intel based Macs CPU's has always a little bit less frequency than OEM equivalent CPUs and I think there's probably a reason for that

Hi again :) @Inqnuam @CaseySJ, sorry to be a thorn, I'm still confused about AppleVTD, what are the benefits of enabling this other than the Thunderbolt advantages?
Thunderbolt is currently the only advantage we have come across, but note that all Macs have this enabled all the time.

I have googled but cannot find any information. Also, do I follow the instructions here: Enable AppleVTD with No Impact to WiFi and Ethernet or the Update OC 0.7.2 mini guide. As far as I can see the only difference between the two set of instructions is this:
If you update to OpenCore 0.7.2, all of the changes are already made for you. You'll only need to enable VT-d in BIOS.

Thunderbolt is currently the only advantage we have come across, but note that all Macs have this enabled all the time. If you update to OpenCore 0.7.2, all of the changes are already made for you. You'll only need to enable VT-d in BIOS.
Hi @CaseySJ thanks for your reply. The changes through the OC 0.7.2 mini guide clearly didn’t apply as in your mini guide notes it states disableIOmapper = disabled however after update my disableIOmapper still had a blue tick in it..

Either way, I unticked disableIOmapper, removed dart=0 from boot args, and enabled VT-D in bios and booted back up to find my WiFi no longer worked. Is there a work around for the wifi issue or have others come across the same issue?

p.s. thanks for your help and quick responses

Hi @CaseySJ thanks for your reply. The changes through the OC 0.7.2 mini guide clearly didn’t apply as in your mini guide notes it states disableIOmapper = disabled however after update my disableIOmapper still had a blue tick in it..

Either way, I unticked disableIOmapper, removed dart=0 from boot args, and enabled VT-D in bios and booted back up to find my WiFi no longer worked. Is there a work around for the wifi issue or have others come across the same issue?

p.s. thanks for your help and quick responses
I think something is amiss. If you are used HackinDROM 1.4.9 to build your EFI or @CaseySJ OC0.7.2 then you would already have DisableIOMapper unchecked as below.

1628208469683.png

I just completely recreated my OC0.7.2 EFI with HackinDROM 1.4.9 to be sure, and the above image is from that recreation. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but are you sure you're mounting the correct volume for your EFI?

I have an overclocking question with this Z390 with an Noctua air-cooled setup:
5GHz all cores, vcore =1.28V, RAM = 2666 MHz 1.2V

I'm aiming for a balance of stability, performance, and system longevity. Is general processor stress determined of both package temperature and cpu vcore? Or is it all about package temperature?

Back