Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey guys, I just finished this build on macOS Big Sur. So easy. Thank you all so much. @CaseySJ

I just wanted to ask for a bit of lamens clarification on thunderbolt displays.
- Is flashing the TB card on my motherboard 100% necessary for all TB displays?
- If not, is there a model of display from apple that will work without the flash?
- If the flash is necessary, is there a way to do it without a raspberry pi?
- I noticed that in the guide to flashing, there was an external titan ridge card. How would I flash one that's built onto my motherboard?

Apologies for the noob-ish questions. I am building a Hackintosh for my office, but would like it to still look like a Mac, hence the fixation on apple monitors.

Hey guys, I just finished this build on macOS Big Sur. So easy. Thank you all so much. @CaseySJ

- If not, is there a model of display from apple that will work without the flash?
- I noticed that in the guide to flashing, there was an external titan ridge card. How would I flash one that's built onto my motherboard?

Apologies for the noob-ish questions. I am building a Hackintosh for my office, but would like it to still look like a Mac, hence the fixation on apple monitors.
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Hello @floodline,

Based on your first sentence I'll assume that all of your questions pertain to the Gigabyte Z390 Designare. To answer your questions:
  1. Flashing the TB firmware on Z390 Designare is not necessary to get a video signal to most Thunderbolt displays. Thunderbolt displays -- with or without flashed firmware -- will exhibit a number of problems. The display may not turn on during BIOS or OpenCore. The display may not turn on after wake-from-sleep.
  2. The devices built into the Thunderbolt Display (USB ports, Camera, Microphone, Firewire) will most likely require flashing the Thunderbolt firmware.
  3. In general I do not recommend the use of Thunderbolt displays on Hackintosh. The experience can be frustrating and you will need to discover and adopt workarounds for yourself.
  4. For all information about flashing, please refer to Quick Reference spoiler, Section 8, at the top of Post 1.
Again, bottom line: I do not recommend the use of Thunderbolt monitors unless you are willing to discover and adopt workarounds for the various issues that will occur.

Soooo....

for some reason my HackinDROM v1.4.8 is NOT seeing that there is an update available to OC 0.7.2; I'm currently on 0.7.1.

I exited HackinDROM and re-launched, but same thing. I have attached a screen shot.

I also just followed the procedure to clean-up my EFI and relocate backups to a different drive. Thanks for this!!

Anything I should try? Could this have anything to do with why my Hack still never sees available updates from Apple?

@Inqnuam Thanks for an AMAZING App! I've been using HackinDROM for a while now, and how could anyone NOT love and use it?! :clap:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 10.14.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 10.14.22 AM.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 52
Hello @floodline,

Based on your first sentence I'll assume that all of your questions pertain to the Gigabyte Z390 Designare. To answer your questions:
  1. Flashing the TB firmware on Z390 Designare is not necessary to get a video signal to most Thunderbolt displays. Thunderbolt displays -- with or without flashed firmware -- will exhibit a number of problems. The display may not turn on during BIOS or OpenCore. The display may not turn on after wake-from-sleep.
  2. The devices built into the Thunderbolt Display (USB ports, Camera, Microphone, Firewire) will most likely require flashing the Thunderbolt firmware.
  3. In general I do not recommend the use of Thunderbolt displays on Hackintosh. The experience can be frustrating and you will need to discover and adopt workarounds for yourself.
  4. For all information about flashing, please refer to Quick Reference spoiler, Section 8, at the top of Post 1.
Again, bottom line: I do not recommend the use of Thunderbolt monitors unless you are willing to discover and adopt workarounds for the various issues that will occur.
Yes I have exactly your described setup. Gigabyte Designare Z390, 9900K, etc.

If I'm totally ok with the USB plugs, camera etc. Not working on the Thunderbolt Display, would still love the sleep/wake to work, and that I can confidently boot my computer "blind", would I even have to flash, or enable bus?

If I do have to flash or enable bus, How do I do that? I cant seem to find a definitive guide without it looking like a seperate titan ridge controller was purchased. Is there a way to do it without a raspberry pi?

If I dont, is it really as simple as display port wire from RX580 to the built in mobo DP, then thunderbolt adapter out to the display from one of the thunderbolt ports on the motherboard?

Again, very sorry for the probably super nooby questions.

Yes I have exactly your described setup. Gigabyte Designare Z390, 9900K, etc.

If I'm totally ok with the USB plugs, camera etc. Not working on the Thunderbolt Display, would still love the sleep/wake to work, and that I can confidently boot my computer "blind", would I even have to flash, or enable bus?
I like your flexible attitude towards these things! To answer your question: We should always test a Thunderbolt component first without flashing the firmware. We see what works, what fails. Based on what fails, we consider whether flashing the firmware can partially or fully solve one or more of the failures.

If I do have to flash or enable bus, How do I do that? I cant seem to find a definitive guide without it looking like a seperate titan ridge controller was purchased. Is there a way to do it without a raspberry pi?
All details are in Section 8 of Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1. This question about an alternative to the Raspberry Pi has been answered fully in that spoiler.

If I dont, is it really as simple as display port wire from RX580 to the built in mobo DP, then thunderbolt adapter out to the display from one of the thunderbolt ports on the motherboard?
This is how we connect a Thunderbolt monitor regardless of whether the firmware is flashed or not.

Again, very sorry for the probably super nooby questions.
No problem. But please take a moment to look through Section 8 of the Quick Reference spoiler. You will get a good sense of what to expect if you decide to flash the firmware. Again, we should not flash the firmware until we have first tested our Thunderbolt components with the original firmware. Flashed firmware is not fully compatible with Windows and Linux.

Last edited:
Soooo....

for some reason my HackinDROM v1.4.8 is NOT seeing that there is an update available to OC 0.7.2; I'm currently on 0.7.1.

I exited HackinDROM and re-launched, but same thing. I have attached a screen shot.

I also just followed the procedure to clean-up my EFI and relocate backups to a different drive. Thanks for this!!

Anything I should try? Could this have anything to do with why my Hack still never sees available updates from Apple?

@Inqnuam Thanks for an AMAZING App! I've been using HackinDROM for a while now, and how could anyone NOT love and use it?! :clap:
Please close the app
Open Terminal and enter:
Code:
defaults delete Inqnuam.HackinDROM
Then relaunch the app and try again

Back