Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Gigabyte's Z390 AORUS Ultra is a very good board. Use BIOS F9 instead of the newer F10h.
Hello Casey I know gigabyte products are good only issue is I am unable to get the board in my local market and nearby market I checked everywhere it's out of stock and I am not even getting the same Designare board anywhere here in India due to pandemic situation I am really not in a condition to spend on new board and processor that to new socket one. I am not sure where to to get it and I want something best like Designare so I was thinking of all these boards

1. Gigabyte Aorus Master
2. Gigabyte Aorus Ultra
3. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme
4. Asus maximum one

And to be frank none of them are available here in India I am stuck and really not in a condition to spend money that to huge amount right now.

I have probably at least 18 motherboards, but I haven't got that far. I'm simply trying to dump the original firmware from the Alpine to upload here. When I dump the original firmware, like I've always done, with the -r flag I would then verify it with the -v flag. Right after dumping it, it doesn't verify so perhaps some kind of protection is in place? Not sure, but it's not verifying.

I have a new flasher I purchased. I'll have to try it out, but it works in Windows only so not my favorite, but I'll give 'er a go.

Attachments

• GC-Alpine-Ridge-original.bin.zip
    146.1 KB · Views: 39
I wanted to share a few of my recent experiences and lessons learned -

I followed the guide to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur. Switched over from Clover to OpenCore, etc.

The Big Sur update appeared to freeze toward the end saying 27 mins. After rebooting and researching others the solution - minimize the system.

-- A strong suggestion to anyone - disconnect/remove everything but bare essentials.
Upgrade went well after -
* Unplugging my thunderbolt dock
* Removing extra storage and ssds/nvme drives

My system still is very unstable with my thunderbolt dock. I may ask for help later. Everything else is excellent.

Build/System Details -
Gigabyte Designare Z390
Intel i7-9700K
64gb Corsaire 3200whatevers
Radeon RX 6900 XT
Next... resolve
OWC TB 3 Dock (currently a 2 leg stool)

Of some note. As others have reported after changing from iMac19,1 to iMacPro1,1 Geekbench shows an small but noticeable uplift in compute performance. Kinda interesting.

I wanted to share a few of my recent experiences and lessons learned -

I followed the guide to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur. Switched over from Clover to OpenCore, etc.

The Big Sur update appeared to freeze toward the end saying 27 mins. After rebooting and researching others the solution - minimize the system.

-- A strong suggestion to anyone - disconnect/remove everything but bare essentials.
Upgrade went well after -
* Unplugging my thunderbolt dock
* Removing extra storage and ssds/nvme drives

My system still is very unstable with my thunderbolt dock. I may ask for help later. Everything else is excellent.

Build/System Details -
Gigabyte Designare Z390
Intel i7-9700K
64gb Corsaire 3200whatevers
Radeon RX 6900 XT
Next... resolve
OWC TB 3 Dock (currently a 2 leg stool)

Of some note. As others have reported after changing from iMac19,1 to iMacPro1,1 Geekbench shows an small but noticeable uplift in compute performance. Kinda interesting.
Just a quick note to say that we should avoid BIOS F9j (in case it's installed).

I just updated to 11.5.1 and so far no issues but figured it was only a light update in comparison from 11.4 to 11.5. Thanks once again everyone!

Is F9g still the recommended version?
Both F9g and F9i are recommended.

F9g —> CFG Lock is disabled by default

F9i —> We need to disable CFG Lock from BIOS Setup; this also has newer Intel microcode

On a completely different note...

Has anybody figured out how to prevent the Windows clock from getting completely off (by like 12 hours or so), after rebooting from macOS into Windows?

On a completely different note...

Has anybody figured out how to prevent the Windows clock from getting completely off (by like 12 hours or so), after rebooting from macOS into Windows?

@BOTMT Check post #26,193 in this thread for help. One has to edit the Windows Registry.

Just a friendly reminder:

Rules —> Advertising:
  • Members cannot post advertisements or notices for eBay auctions, Kickstarter projects, Craigslist listings, personal sales, sponsorships or contests.

Back