Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ
SIP is enabled, disabling..
only USB 076 is enabled, is that a problem?
SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml is enabled

@CaseySJ I just noticed I have a type-c to lightning cable connected to one of the thunderbolt 3 ports
the cable isn't connected to anything. since disconnecting the cable the hack is stable :O

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ,

I hope all is well!

No sign of that...and I didn't do any enabling/disabling of SIP...and "csrutil status" shows SIP enabled:

View attachment 524860

I've read that updating the KEXT cache has changed in Big Sur. I saw this on a forum but I'm not sure it's correct (it referenced this procedure for /S/L/E or /L/E):

-----
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kmutil install --update-all
sudo kcditto
-----

I know the "kextcache -i /" I executed run "kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild" but the above would force the issue with the "--update-all". It also seems that "kcditto" has been depreciated and that "bless" should now be used.

Thank you for the help,
Lam
Let's get back to basics:
  1. Are you running Big Sur at this time?
  2. Which kernel extensions are not loading automatically on boot?
  3. Have you tried reinstalling the applications that are associated with those kernel extensions?
Some comments:
  • In Big Sur the System volume is write-protected.
  • There is nothing we can or should do to the /System folder.

I'm having intermittent issues as well. I initially thought this had something to do with Big Sur, but am not sure. Specifically, I notice this with mouse movement. I am running stock Intel CNVi card with Apple Magic Mouse connected. Not sure if any of this is related or not.
Have you tried restoring the OpenCore 0.7.0 EFI folder? As mentioned in the OpenCore 0.7.1 mini-guide, we updated the Intel Bluetooth and Intel WiFi drivers. To use the previous versions of these kexts with OpenCore 0.7.1, we can simply copy them from the 0.7.0 OC/Kexts folder.

@CaseySJ
SIP is enabled, disabling..
only USB 076 is enabled, is that a problem?
SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml is enabled
If you're running Catalina or newer then it's okay to just have USBInjectAll v0.7.6 enabled. But the previous version (0.7.1) can remain enabled at the same time because these two kexts are conditionally injected. The older one is injected only into Mojave. The newer is injected into everything after Mojave.

@CaseySJ I just noticed I have a type-c to lightning cable connected to one of the thunderbolt 3 ports
the cable isn't connected to anything. since disconnecting the cable the hack is stable :O
I don't believe in voodoo science despite the temptation! ;) Have you tried repeating the experiment by plugging the USB-C to Lightning cable back in?

EDIT: That was premature, I’d switched over to USB to update the firmware on the Discrete. Switched to thunderbolt and I’m back in the same bucket. This is an X299 system, all specs on Post# 32,171.
Always good to get back to basics:
  • When you initially tested the Antelope Discrete 8, was it connected through USB or Thunderbolt?
    • Are you sure?
  • Which Thunderbolt add-in-card are you using? Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge?
    • Is the firmware of the card flashed or original (original should be just fine)?
  • In IORegistryExplorer do you see AppleVTD near the top of the list?
  • Has the firmware on the Discrete 8 been updated in recent days?
    • If so, was the Discrete 8 working with the previous firmware, but is not working with the new firmware?
  • Is there a hardware reset function on the Discrete 8?
    • If so, have you invoked it?
  • Are the latest Antelope drivers installed in macOS?
  • After connecting the Antelope via Thunderbolt, please post screenshot of the Thunderbolt section of IORegistryExplorer or post the entire IOReg file (File --> Save As...).

It would be good for someone to try this. Hint hint. ;)
From the GitHub repo: "Note: Apple CPU identifier must be 0x0F01 for 8 core CPUs or higher and 0x0601 for 1, 2, 4, or 6 cores. This is the default in OpenCore for non-natively supported CPUs."

That's the key. I set my ProcessorType in SMBIOS to 3841 and I can change the CPU name.

I recommend doing it without the boot-args. I don't know how to escape spaces in revcpuname as a boot-arg. Wrapping it in double quotes didn't work, and neither did \ before the space.

Works like this in NVRAM. I named it Apple M1 once in testing as well.
Code:
<key>4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
<dict>
    <key>revcpu</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>revcpuname</key>
    <string>Intel Core i9-11900K</string>
    <key>rtc-blacklist</key>
    <data></data>
</dict>

How in the bloody heavens are you figuring this stuff out? What level of warlock do you have to be to wield this much magic?

I unplugged the build for 30 sec. and it started up with everything enabled straight away! Thank you, @CaseySJ. Your legacy will be an immeasurable amount of joy spread throughout the planet.

EDIT: That was premature, I’d switched over to USB to update the firmware on the Discrete. Switched to thunderbolt and I’m back in the same bucket. This is an X299 system, all specs on Post# 32,171.

Here are some tips from my many years of mucking about with Antelope Audio and TB3 stuff:

- Unplug both your computer and interface from power entirely for 1 minute to let ALL the capacitors drain fully.
- Unplug the Thunderbolt cable from both the computer/interface/ and TB adapter if used.
- replug the TB3 cable to the interface
- ONLY TB2/3 cable plugged in, do not have the USB cable plugged into the port on the interface.
- Plug in the interface power only, and now make sure that Thunderbolt is selected as the Comm Interface using the built in controls
- Plug TB3 cable back in to Hackintosh
- Plug power in to PC and boot hackintosh
- The device MAY not be seen fully at first boot, the way to tell is to go ito IORegistryExplorer and look in your PCI devices (RP05-20 etc) and see if the device ID shows up but no name or drivers underneath. Sometimes both real macs and hacks have the driver do this and the remedy is a simple warm reboot.
- If no Device ID is present, reboot the system and physically plug the TB3 cable in during the OpenCore or OpenCanopy menus and see if it appears.

BIOS settings to also check to see:
-Thunderbolt Boot Support: Enabled
-Forcepower: Enabled (may not be present in your BIOS)

From the GitHub repo: "Note: Apple CPU identifier must be 0x0F01 for 8 core CPUs or higher and 0x0601 for 1, 2, 4, or 6 cores. This is the default in OpenCore for non-natively supported CPUs."

That's the key. I set my ProcessorType in SMBIOS to 3841 and I can change the CPU name.

I recommend doing it without the boot-args. I don't know how to escape spaces in revcpuname as a boot-arg. Wrapping it in double quotes didn't work, and neither did \ before the space.

Works like this in NVRAM. I named it Apple M1 once in testing as well.
Code:
<key>4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
<dict>
    <key>revcpu</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>revcpuname</key>
    <string>Intel Core i9-11900K</string>
    <key>rtc-blacklist</key>
    <data></data>
</dict>
Thank you for figuring this out! Will add a link to it in Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1.

I should add that this depends on RestrictEvents.kext, which is included in the EFI but not enabled. We need to enable it first.

Always good to get back to basics:
  • When you initially tested the Antelope Discrete 8, was it connected through USB or Thunderbolt?
    • Are you sure?
It was USB, I tried an update through TB and the update disconnected it. I switched to USB to complete it, then tried the PSU off.
  • Which Thunderbolt add-in-card are you using? Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge?
    • Is the firmware of the card flashed or original (original should be just fine)?
I'm using the built-in TB ports of my Asus X299 Prime Deluxe II, Titan Ridge firmware 36
  • In IORegistryExplorer do you see AppleVTD near the top of the list?
Yes, thanks to you guys.:thumbup:
  • Has the firmware on the Discrete 8 been updated in recent days?
    • If so, was the Discrete 8 working with the previous firmware, but is not working with the new firmware?
I did the update, but that hasn't changed its behavior, just modernized the GUI.
  • Is there a hardware reset function on the Discrete 8?
    • If so, have you invoked it?
Not that I know of.
  • Are the latest Antelope drivers installed in macOS?
Yes.
  • After connecting the Antelope via Thunderbolt, please post screenshot of the Thunderbolt section of IORegistryExplorer or post the entire IOReg file (File --> Save As...).
BTW, They're daisy-chained. I'm betting if they were on separate ports this wouldn't be an issue, but that takes away from the convenience of the TB platform.

Update: I had an old SSDT for Alpine Ridge still in my ACPI folder that you made back at Christmas to activate Thunderbolt Bus (which worked). I took it out and left one which was designed for Asus X299 Titan Ridge systems, and BAM! All devices are present at startup, just no Thunderbolt bus, but I don't need it. If I do in the future, I'll try to have the SSDT modified.

Attachments

• Boot w: Antelope.jpeg
    Boot w: Antelope.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Boot w: Apollo.jpeg
    Boot w: Apollo.jpeg
    502.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Boot w: Both.jpeg
    Boot w: Both.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Warm Boot Win w: Both.jpeg
    Warm Boot Win w: Both.jpeg