Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Here's the output of the "sudo kextcache -i /"

kextcache -i /
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild
rebuilding local auxiliary collection
kmutil done

I've attached a photo of my L/E directory.

View attachment 524804
The /L/E directory looks okay. Was SIP disabled before and has been enabled in OpenCore 0.7.1? This can be checked by looking at csr-active-config in boot-args (NVRAM section of config.plist).

I think I’m missing something really basic. Its been a few weeks since we’ve been graced with the Apple Vt-d fix that brought my Antelope Discrete 8 to life, but I can’t get it recognized without first booting into Win 10. That wasn’t an issue when I was only using the UA Apollo, its recognized from cold booting, and Thunderbolt is always visible in my IOReg no matter what. I wouldnt mind, but my X299 system boots/shuts down slowly so its a 5 min process to get going. Is this an old problem for people? How do you get Thunderbolt devices recognized without hot-booting from WIN 10? ‍:banghead:
Let's see if we can figure this out...
  • Are you using a GC-Titan Ridge in the X79-based Rampage IV Extreme?
  • If so, is the card's firmware flashed or original?
  • If you perform a cold boot (i.e. shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds) directly into macOS first, does the Antelope device connect?
  • In IORegistryExplorer, do you see AppleVTD near the top of the list on the left side?

Let's see if we can figure this out...
  • Are you using a GC-Titan Ridge in the X79-based Rampage IV Extreme?
  • If so, is the card's firmware flashed or original?
  • If you perform a cold boot (i.e. shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds) directly into macOS first, does the Antelope device connect?
  • In IORegistryExplorer, do you see AppleVTD near the top of the list on the left side?
How in the bloody heavens are you figuring this stuff out? What level of warlock do you have to be to wield this much magic?

I unplugged the build for 30 sec. and it started up with everything enabled straight away! Thank you, @CaseySJ. Your legacy will be an immeasurable amount of joy spread throughout the planet.

EDIT: That was premature, I’d switched over to USB to update the firmware on the Discrete. Switched to thunderbolt and I’m back in the same bucket. This is an X299 system, all specs on Post# 32,171.

Last edited:
The /L/E directory looks okay. Was SIP disabled before and has been enabled in OpenCore 0.7.1? This can be checked by looking at csr-active-config in boot-args (NVRAM section of config.plist).
Hi @CaseySJ,

I hope all is well!

No sign of that...and I didn't do any enabling/disabling of SIP...and "csrutil status" shows SIP enabled:

1626542160964.png

I've read that updating the KEXT cache has changed in Big Sur. I saw this on a forum but I'm not sure it's correct (it referenced this procedure for /S/L/E or /L/E):

-----
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kmutil install --update-all
sudo kcditto
-----

I know the "kextcache -i /" I executed run "kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild" but the above would force the issue with the "--update-all". It also seems that "kcditto" has been depreciated and that "bless" should now be used.

Thank you for the help,
Lam

I tried... and got this:

BOTMT-iMac:~ BOTMT$ sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored
softwareupdate: unrecognized option `--reset-ignored'
usage: softwareupdate <cmd> [<args> ...]

** Manage Updates:
-l | --list List all appropriate update labels (options: --no-scan, --product-types)
-d | --download Download Only
-i | --install Install
<label> ... specific updates
-a | --all All appropriate updates
-R | --restart Automatically restart (or shut down) if required to complete installation.
-r | --recommended Only recommended updates
--list-full-installers List the available macOS Installers
--fetch-full-installer Install the latest recommended macOS Installer
--full-installer-version The version of macOS to install. Ex: --full-installer-version 10.15
--install-rosetta Install Rosetta 2
--background Trigger a background scan and update operation

** Other Tools:
--dump-state Log the internal state of the SU daemon to /var/log/install.log
--evaluate-products Evaluate a list of product keys specified by the --products option
--history Show the install history. By default, only displays updates installed by softwareupdate.
--all Include all processes in history (including App installs)

** Options:
--no-scan Do not scan when listing or installing updates (use available updates previously scanned)
--product-types <type> Limit a scan to a particular product type only - ignoring all others
Ex: --product-types macOS || --product-types macOS,Safari
--products A comma-separated (no spaces) list of product keys to operate on.
--force Force an operation to complete. Use with --background to trigger a background scan regardless of "Automatically check" pref
--agree-to-license Agree to the software license agreement without user interaction.

--verbose Enable verbose output
--help Print this help
@Inqnuam @CaseySJ

Still no success with this.

I did also try "sudo softwareupdate --reset -a" as per CaseySJ's recommendation. At least with this command I received no error messages, but still no good.

o_O

What if I just try to download 11.4 from the App store?

Last edited:
I'm not aware of such problems with OpenCore 0.7.1. One of the first suggestions we always make is to verify the assertion that OpenCore 0.7.1 is indeed the culprit. This is easy to do by downgrading to 0.7.0. If you used the HackinDROM App to upgrade, you will find a ZIP file in your EFI partition that contains the previous EFI folder.

Couple other things to check:
  • Was SIP disabled in your OpenCore 0.7.0 setup, but got enabled in OpenCore 0.7.1? (This can be checked by looking at csr-active-config in boot-args).
  • Is the USB port map SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml) enabled in ACPI section?
  • Are both USBInjectAll kexts (USBInjectAll-071.kext and USBInjectAll-076.kext) enabled in Kernel section?
I'm having intermittent issues as well. I initially thought this had something to do with Big Sur, but am not sure. Specifically, I notice this with mouse movement. I am running stock Intel CNVi card with Apple Magic Mouse connected. Not sure if any of this is related or not.

I'm having intermittent issues as well. I initially thought this had something to do with Big Sur, but am not sure. Specifically, I notice this with mouse movement. I am running stock Intel CNVi card with Apple Magic Mouse connected. Not sure if any of this is related or not.
I'm on OC 0.7.1 and have not noticed any issues; however, currently I'm stuck on 11.3.1.

Ok, I checked the "EFIClone.sh" I HAVE been using and yes, it's yours from December of 2020; so I have switched back to that one.

But I am having the same problem, which is that the cloning process stalls. CCC is still running, the four "dots" are cycling and the "Time elapsed" is still climbing, but the "Comparing and copying files" progress bar grinds to a near halt. For example right now it's stopped on an SL-mobileMe.tiff file, it's been running for 15 minutes, and the "Data copied:" is only 116 KB!!!

If I wipe the DESTINATION backup drive and start from scratch, it WILL backup the entire drive. But on a subsequent clone run... well... this is what happens.

:cry:

UPDATE: I MIGHT KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. I am using a USB 3.0 docking station I have not used with the Hack before. The dock works fine on the same machine under Windows. I'm saying this because when I try to abort CCC after this issue, things get wonky. I have to end up Force Quitting CCC, and then when I try to eject the USB connected drive, it doesn't like that either, and fails to do so cleanly, or at all. FYI the dock IS connected directly to the back of the Z390, blue USB 3.0 port.
UPDATE:

Looks like I may have been correct, and it is a compatibility issue with the dock. I tried several different USB 3.0 cables, a few different drives, erasing them several times and starting over, and both slots in the two slot dock. Always the same results: A first clean, full backup works. Subsequent backups... stall around 60% complete.

I have installed a SATA drive in the case for mac backups and so far, this is working without any problems. Also not having any errors or issues with EFIClone.sh anymore.

FYI the dock is a "SUPER SPEED T-305". Works fine on Z390 in Windows and duplicates hard drives, even mac drives, in standalone clone mode with no problem.

Back