Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Unlike @luckyal who's Slate driver seems to not want to stick on reboots, this does once reinstalled.
Everything seems to be working now. I had to uninstall and reinstall VRS8 driver with SIP disabled so that the system security properly registers the vendor. For whatever reason it didn't want to do it while I had SIP enabled.

I will say that many of my hard drives didn't want to mount while I kept restarting. Especially those that are formatted HFS+ and/or connected through a RocketRaid2720SGL raid card. All seems to be back to normal now.

Oh sorry, didn't see this- yes Mojave. Should I go for a clean install with 11or 12?
I am running my UAD system on it (Thunderbolt) I liked the Mojave fue to it just all worked when I followed your amazingly great instructions. I guess Mojave is old really now. If ot is same easy, quite happy to upgrade.
If you have a second NVMe SSD or SATA SSD and space inside the computer to install it, then you have one of the best choices available, which is to install Big Sur from scratch on the second SSD. It is also possible to upgrade Clover to Big Sur, but that requires (a) migrating from Clover to OpenCore first, and then (b) performing an in-place upgrade to Big Sur.

Note: Do not install Monterey Public Beta at this time. You'll be playing with fire! :)

Tips for installing Big Sur:
  • Format the second SSD in Disk Utility with:
    • Name: Anything
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map (critical)
  • Now the second SSD will also have an EFI partition
  • On your Mojave SSD, Clover will still be installed in its EFI partition
  • On your Big Sur SSD, OpenCore will be installed in the EFI partition
  • You will have two EFI partitions, which means you will need to press F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen to open the BIOS Boot Manager and pick either Clover or OpenCore.
    • This is okay because eventually you can disconnect the Mojave SSD, once you have moved everything to the Big Sur SSD
  • Get the Big Sur installation package by following Step 1 from here.
  • Create the USB install disk by following Step 2 from here.
  • Install BIOS F9g or F9i on your Designare Z390.
  • Configure BIOS parameters according to Post 1 in this thread.
  • Follow Post 1 and Post 2 of the HackinDROM App guide by clicking here.
    • Choose: Vendor = Gigabyte and Motherboard = Z390 Designare
    • Now you will have a fully configured EFI Folder.
  • Copy this EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB install disk.
  • Insert the USB install disk into Hackintosh and reboot.
  • Then follow Step 7 from here.

@yosoyoco I am trying to figure out how to modify my DMAR table but its not clear what is needed looking at your modified DMAR. Here is my DMAR, if you can help much appreciated:

Attachments

• System DMAR.zip
    882 bytes · Views: 39
@yosoyoco I am trying to figure out how to modify my DMAR table but its not clear what is needed looking at your modified DMAR. Here is my DMAR, if you can help much appreciated:
Please see this post, but this is not needed on X299 systems unless your WiFi and Ethernet do not connect after enabling AppleVTD.

** Enabling AppleVTD on Z390 Designare with No Impact to WiFi/Ethernet **
Credit: @yosoyoco

Finally we are able to enable AppleVTD without incurring the side effects of broken WiFi and Ethernet. Thanks to @yosoyoco for solving the final piece of the puzzle!

Steps:
  • BIOS --> Enable VT-d
  • OpenCore --> Uncheck DisableIoMapper from Kernel Quirks
  • OpenCore --> Remove dart=0 from boot-args if it exists
  • OpenCore --> Add SSDT-DMAR.aml (attached) to ACPI --> Add section as shown
  • OpenCore --> Delete DMAR from ACPI --> Delete section as shown
  • Reboot
Once this has been more fully tested I'll incorporate it into next month's OpenCore 0.7.2 release.

Warning:
  • The attached SSDT is only for Gigabyte Z390 Designare only.
@CaseySJ I followed the instructions and now I've got AppleVTD, WiFi, and Ethernet all working with 128GB of RAM! Mad scientists in this group for sure! :headbang:

1625673554118.png

1625673703818.png

1625673572665.png

@CaseySJ I followed the instructions and now I've got AppleVTD, WiFi, and Ethernet all working with 128GB of RAM! Mad scientists in this group for sure! :headbang:
The sheer madness of AppleVTD week continues! ;)

Please see this post, but this is not needed on X299 systems unless your WiFi and Ethernet do not connect after enabling AppleVTD.
Yes, ethernet is not connecting after enabling AppleVTD which is why I asked for help.

Attachments

• SSDT-DMAR.aml
    200 bytes · Views: 57
Random observation for those with VT-D enabled and who use VMware:

VMWare either needs to be fully reinstalled or need to double check that security preferences did not get reset for the drivers. Tested on both Big Sur 11.4 and Mojave Had a heck of a time trying to get peripherals to reappear even though system prefs said the driver was unblocked.
@qthegaijin

I have VT-D enabled on Big Sur 11.4 and started up VMware Fusion 12.1.2 without problems. I had virtual machines for Windows 10, Linux Mint, Catalina, and Mojave all suspended. Each reopened without incident and seemed to be running as they usually do.

Back