Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@luckyal ,

@loloduarte owns the TB2 Quantum, not the same as the Quantum 2626. The post referenced someone not being able to have a working Quantum, right? Strange indeed…

**EDIT: it looks they have problems but not on the same board. They are on Z170 and 270.

**EDIT #2: looking at this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...io-interface-help.226705/page-10#post-1900936

In your specific case, VT-d was a must. In the case of the 2626, it looks, at least on Mojave, that VT-d isn’t needed for proper function.

Last edited:
DAW Users: Knowing what you know now about these homebuilt OSX machines, if you could get a do-over, which interface (and method of connection) would you choose? Or would you simply save for a MP 7,1?
I had made a search before in this thread and I can't recommend enough the Quantum 2626. Plug'n'play with the Designare Z390.

No direct monitoring facilities though. One has to use a DAW (or AULab template) to be able to monitor the inputs. Lowest latency I had since my PCI days (Echo Mia and M-Audio AP2496).

Last edited:
@luckyal again:

Succeeded to implement VT-d following the advises (one missing variable found in your referenced thread here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...io-interface-help.226705/page-34#post-2192304 )

- VT-d enabled in BIOS
- dart=0 removed from boot args
- removed "drop DMAR" from Config.plist

However, it doesn't make any difference. The 2626 was working prior to that with really low latency and those changes bring nothing more. Interesting stuff however...

No direct monitoring facilities though. One has to use a DAW (or AULab template) to be able to monitor the inputs.
BINGO! Any interface that uses direct monitoring (for low latency) and does not have onboard DSP will require VT-d.

Last edited:
BINGO! Any interface that uses direct monitoring (for low latency) and does not have onboard DSP will require VT-d.
Is that just for Thunderbolt? Or would that include "non-Thunderbolt USB-C" interfaces and the RME-type DB-25 PCIe card systems?

Hey @CaseySJ Have been following your experiments with VT-d. I thought I would give these settings a whirl on my Asus Hero X Z370 board with an i9-9900KS, and have some interesting results to share.

I enabled VT-d and Intel virtualization in the BIOS, removed dart=0, and unchecked disableiomapper in my Clover (latest version) config as well as taking out the drop DMAR table.

I'm able to still boot into Big Sur 11.4 and seem to have full network capabilities (only tested Wi-Fi which is an Apple Broadcom module on a PCI adapter) but that is working on 2.4 and 5GHz as well as Bluetooth. I can see my Ethernet port in system prefs but am unable to test a connection at the moment.

I have 64GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM which is still fully recognized. I run this just completely at stock without XMP enabled as it keeps voltages and temperatures way more friendly on the Z370 with the i9-9900KS dropped in.

From MacASL I now have the option of new DMAR which wasn't there before these changes, and also have AppleVTD in my IORegistry. Thunderbolt still seems functional using a Titan Ridge 1 flashed with the Designare NVM33 and jumped for power as I have no header on this motherboard.

Maybe this info will be helpful to you and your experimentation in someway. I will leave my rig like this for now and see if I notice any issues in day to day work and will let you know.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.41.44.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.41.44.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.45.01.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.45.01.png
    173 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.45.23.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.45.23.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.49.21.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.49.21.png
    209.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
DAW Users: Knowing what you know now about these homebuilt OSX machines, if you could get a do-over, which interface (and method of connection) would you choose? Or would you simply save for a MP 7,1?
I really like Lynx Aurora(-n). Metric Halo ULN-8 or LIO-8. DAD AX32. Prism ADA-8XR. UA Apollo(the latest black 19-inch ones).
If you need just 1 interface and computer & interface are not far apart, TB is a good bet.
Otherwise Dante is great. For good results and really low latency you will want a PCIe Dante card in your Hack. That makes it a bit expensive. But Dante is very flexible, clocking is great, routing is easy, stability is top notch, tons of equipment with Dante, recommended.

Hey @CaseySJ Have been following your experiments with vt-d and thought I would give these settings a whirl on my Asus Hero X z370 board with an i9-9900ks and have some interesting results to share.

I enabled vt-d and intel virtualisation in the BIOS, removed dart=0, and unchecked disableiomapper in my Clover (latest version) config as well as taking out the drop DMAR table.

I'm able to still boot into Big Sur 11.4 and seem to have full network capabilities (only tested Wi-Fi which is an Apple Broadcom module on a PCI adapter) but that is working on 2.4 and 5Ghz as well as Bluetooth. I can see my ethernet port in system prefs but am unable to test a connection at the moment.

I have 64gb of Crucial Ballistix ram which is still fully recognised. I run this just completely at stock without XMP enabled as it keeps voltages and temperatures way more friendly on the z370 with the 9900ks dropped in.

From MacASL I now have the option of new DMAR which wasn't there before these changes, and also have AppleVTD in my IORegistry. Thunderbolt still seems functional using a Titan Ridge 1 flashed with the Designare NVM33 and jumped for power as I have no header on this motherboard.

Maybe this info will be helpful to you and your experimentation in someway. I will leave my rig like this for now and see if I notice any issues in day to day work and will let you know.
Thank you for testing this, and for doing it correctly! :)

I would indeed be curious to know whether the Ethernet ports are able to connect.

If you open the System DSDT (which should open automatically just by launching MaciASL), is there a device called “DMAC”?

Thank you for testing this, and for doing it correctly! :)

I would indeed be curious to know whether the Ethernet ports are able to connect.

If you open the System DSDT (which should open automatically just by launching MaciASL), is there a device called “DMAC”?
Not that I can find. I have attached a Save As for you to double check.

Attachments

• HERO X DSDT.dsl
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Back