Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

OK, I've been having a really weird issue with OC0.7.0 when after my monitors go to sleep, my main monitor won't wake up. My hack is still awake/running, just the monitors have gone to sleep. Wiggle the mouse, hit the keyboard, everything wakes up, but not my main Dell. If I let my hack go completely to sleep and then wake it up, then both monitors wake just fine. It's really confusing. I'm running Big Sur 11.4, iMacPro1,1 with a RX 6900 XT attached to a Dell U3417W on DP and a 1024x600 stats display on HDMI. Again, this only happens with OC0.7, so I've reverted to 0.6.9 and now everything works normally again. Thoughts? My rig is a Z390 Designare with an i9-9900K and 128GB of 2600MHz RAM running the official F9i BIOS.

1625360415418.png

If all the devices you need to use are working properly, then there’s nothing else to do. The old adage, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it totally applies here.

On the other hand, Experiment Update #3 provides reasons for making this change — but only for those affected.
Fair enough. I don't plan to make any changes on my own system but rather trying to be helpful to those that have Antelope interfaces but have been unable to use them. The default instructions on page one suggest that VT-d should be "Disabled" in BIOS. Though I understand why, I don't necessarily agree because there's a good reason why people bought Designare in the first place. That is to have a fully functioning (or as close to a real mac as possible) Thunderbolt. Unlike UAudio's Apollos which use onboard DSP to achieve low latency, most of Thunderbolt audio interfaces out there, require direct access to memory (DMA) typically reserved for virtualization (VT-d). I have helped a good half dozen people setting this up for a range of audio interfaces, from MOTU, Slate, Presonus and others.

I believe (I could be wrong) that in order to have a fully working Thunderbolt implementation, the following need to be true:

1. Enable VT-d in BIOS (assuming Thunderbolt devices are already enabled with 'no security' in BIOS)
  2. Remove dart=0 (Boot>Arguments in Clover / NVRAM>Add>boot-args in OC)
  3. Disabled SIP (if the installed driver doesn't produce a security prompt to allow driver to function)
Recently I have been looking at building my own multi 10G switch for my homelab and some of the things this guy talks about, with respect to DMA and specific BIOS configurations, made a lot of sense and reminded me of the reasons why I had previously struggled to get my VRS8 going. It has to do with latency. Give this article a look as well and focus on the "Bounced Buffer" section.

Fair enough. I don't plan to make any changes on my own system but rather trying to be helpful to those that have Antelope interfaces but have been unable to use them. The default instructions on page one suggest that VT-d should be "Disabled" in BIOS. Though I understand why, I don't necessarily agree because there's a good reason why people bought Designare in the first place. That is to have a fully functioning (or as close to a real mac as possible) Thunderbolt. Unlike UAudio's Apollos which use onboard DSP to achieve low latency, most of Thunderbolt audio interfaces out there, require direct access to memory (DMA) typically reserved for virtualization (VT-d). I have helped a good half dozen people setting this up for a range of audio interfaces, from MOTU, Slate, Presonus and others.

I believe (I could be wrong) that in order to have a fully working Thunderbolt implementation, the following need to be true:

1. Enable VT-d in BIOS (assuming Thunderbolt devices are already enabled with 'no security' in BIOS)
  2. Remove dart=0 (Boot>Arguments in Clover / NVRAM>Add>boot-args in OC)
  3. Disabled SIP (if the installed driver doesn't produce a security prompt to allow driver to function)
Recently I have been looking at building my own multi 10G switch for my homelab and some of the things this guy talks about, with respect to DMA and specific BIOS configurations, made a lot of sense and reminded me of the reasons why I had previously struggled to get my VRS8 going. It has to do with latency. Give this article a look as well and focus on the "Bounced Buffer" section.
When we enable VT-d fully such that AppleVTD appears in IOReg, then on Big Sur and Monterey we are limited to 16GB memory. If we use more than 16GB memory, Ethernet and WiFi stop working. However, on Catalina and Mojave this does not happen, and hence any amount of memory is okay.

It may be better for me to advise users of Mojave and Catalina of the benefits of VT-d and the procedure for enabling it. But Big Sur and Monterey users with more than 16GB will need to consider the tradeoffs.

OpenCore 0.7.1 is expected next week. I'll make the EFI folder compatible with Monterey. Intel i211 Ethernet port (driven by SmallTreeIntel kext) does not connect (Monterey).

Last edited:
Sorry for the newb question. I am using multi boot and OC 0.7.0 always defaults to windows partition. Is there a way to set it to default to Mojave instead?
Press Control+Enter next time you hit Mojave in opencore. After that, that’s your default selected entry.

I found that on big sur 11.4, this card does not recognize the ssd connected to caldigit ts3 plus, do I upgrade this firmware? my card is gc titan ridge v1.0!

Last edited:
I found that on big sur 11.4, this card does not recognize the ssd connected to caldigit ts3 plus, do I upgrade this firmware? my card is gc titan ridge v1.0!
Welcome to the forum, but please do not quote the guides and mini-guides in their entirety. This is stated on line 2 of the post you quoted.

If the problem is seen in 11.4, did it occur earlier than 11.4? Or only in 11.4?

Welcome to the forum, but please do not quote the guides and mini-guides in their entirety. This is stated on line 2 of the post you quoted.

If the problem is seen in 11.4, did it occur earlier than 11.4? Or only in 11.4?
I’m sorry for this, but I didn’t find this in 10.13. Besides mac os 11.4, other versions of the system did not use it.

I’m sorry for this, but I didn’t find this in 10.13. Besides mac os 11.4, other versions of the system did not use it.
  • What is the make/model of the SSD?
  • Is it in a USB Type A or Type C enclosure?
  • If Type C, does it connect if plugged directly into the Thunderbolt port on GC-Titan Ridge?
P.S. Please click ‘edit’ button next to your first post and remove the mini-guide. Otherwise your post could be deleted or forcefully edited.

Back