Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@kim9988,

The way you’ve described the problem and the steps taken is exemplary. It’s a very good example of how problems should be reported. Now I don’t have to read your mind or ask you a hundred background questions! :)

I have personally encountered this problem and thought it could be resolved by setting csr-active-config to 67000000 as you’ve already tried. Anyway, I’ll review your config shortly.

If all else fails, a measure of last resort it to install Big Sur on an SSD mounted inside an external USB 3 enclosure. Then connect the enclosure to your real Mac and install Big Sur on that disk through the real Mac. When done, copy OpenCore EFI folder to EFI partition of that disk, then connect to Hackintosh and boot. If it works, clone that disk to internal NVMe SSD or mount the original SSD inside the chassis.
Thank you for your help, @CaseySJ! The last resort is a great idea! Does it have to be an SSD or can I just use a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive? :)

EDIT: Just remembered that Big Sur installation requires over 45GB of storage. I'll use an SSD then. :)

Last edited:
I just upgraded my test OC drive to OC 7.0 as I want to test this vector acceleration quirk BigAl is raving about.
On first boot, I got stuck with the error: hfsplus.efi at 4 cannot be found
So I rebooted and had a look at these. There's an openhfs whatever .efi, but no hfsplus.efi. So I copied hfsplus.efi over from my OC 0.6.8 EFI, and now it boots OK.
Is this a plain bad idea? I guess this openhfs thing is the successor of hfsplus? How can I make this work?
BTW, I am still on Mojave, but I guess that doesn't make a difference for a bootloader.

I just upgraded my test OC drive to OC 7.0 as I want to test this vector acceleration quirk BigAl is raving about.
On first boot, I got stuck with the error: hfsplus.efi at 4 cannot be found
So I rebooted and had a look at these. There's an openhfs whatever .efi, but no hfsplus.efi. So I copied hfsplus.efi over from my OC 0.6.8 EFI, and now it boots OK.
Is this a plain bad idea? I guess this openhfs thing is the successor of hfsplus? How can I make this work?
BTW, I am still on Mojave, but I guess that doesn't make a difference for a bootloader.

@zipb

Several versions of OC back Openhfs.efi was introduced in place of HfsPlus.efi by the OC developers in their base EFI folder. It caused problems for some. Since then @CaseySJ's guide EFI folders have been using the former HfsPlus.efi file which has been working fine for most. I've been using HfsPlus.efi without problems for months. There should be no problems using it.

@zipb,

As @NCMacGuy pointed out, Acidanthera have been developing and releasing their OpenHfsPlus.efi, but it has caused a number of problems lately. I’m sure this driver will improve over time, but for now we recommend only Apple’s own HfsPlus.efi. The OpenCore folder that is provided in this thread does not use OpenHfsPlus.efi.

For a number of months now, when I leave my Mac sleeping overnight or longer, the next time I login there is a resport the system restarted and the error is "Sleep Wake failure in EFI". It’s running latest Big Sur and OC config. In fact I wiped and replaced the EFI directory with a new copy that is using older serial info. Any things on the source/fix for this?

Sleep Wake failure in EFI.

@zipb,

As @NCMacGuy pointed out, Acidanthera have been developing and releasing their OpenHfsPlus.efi, but it has caused a number of problems lately. I’m sure this driver will improve over time, but for now we recommend only Apple’s own HfsPlus.efi. The OpenCore folder that is provided in this thread does not use OpenHfsPlus.efi.
I discovered your OC7.0 folder only after I did the upgrade, so I had to deal with Openhfsplus...
This gargantuan Z390 thread is amazing, but not a model of easy navigation.
Allright. I'll get rid of it. Back to OC6.8, I don't see anything in OC7.0 worth having. Except that my boot screen is the right size until about 2/3 through, then I get a blown up login screen, then after typing my pwd, the right resolution comes back. Didn't have that in Clover.

Allright. I'll get rid of it. Back to OC6.8, I don't see anything in OC7.0 worth having. Except that my boot screen is the right size until about 2/3 through, then I get a blown up login screen, then after typing my pwd, the right resolution comes back. Didn't have that in Clover.
@zipb

No problem using OC 0.7.0 and simply installing the HfsPlus.efi file and activating it in config.plist.

HfsPlus.efi.jpg

In the process of investigating whether I should update to Big Sur, I ran across a lot of banter regarding AppleVTD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but several folks here have mentioned that it's something that is 'required' to have a working Antelope audio interface with the Z390 board. I myself have had a fair share of Thunderbolt issues when trying to get my Slate VRS8 going a while back, a process I documented in this post with references to other posts detailing some of the work. While I can't comment on the TB3 to Ethernet working (I don't own the adapter), I can say that using the lessons learned on the Slate VRS8, I built a system identical to mine for a friend with a fully working Antelope Descrete 4. He has been running it ever since without any issues, including all the Mojave updates from 10.14.2 - 10.14.6. We are both still running Mojave. My VRS8 and UAD Apollo X4 still work perfectly. His Descrete 4 also works perfectly. He is still on F6 BIOS, running Clover r5117 with the following boot flags:
Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 3.32.17 PM.png

I, on the other hand recently implemented OC 0.7.0 and both of my devices, Slate VRS8 and Apollo X4 work. So my question is: what again is the point of pursuing and implementing AppleVTD?

@luckyal,

The answer to your question is simple. It’s a good question that many will ask, but it also has a very simple answer:

If all the devices you need to use are working properly, then there’s nothing else to do. The old adage, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it totally applies here.

On the other hand, Experiment Update #3 provides reasons for making this change — but only for those affected.

Back