Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Have you tried BIOS F20 on the Z490 Vision D with AppleVTD enabled and more than 16GB memory running Big Sur? ;)
I have not, I was on f20 a few weeks ago, but I decided to downgrade to f5 because the system kept ejecting usb drives during sleep when xmp was on… so even if applevtd worked with more than 16gb, I’d need my usb drives to not eject. So I’ll be staying on f5 for the foreseeable future.

I have not, I was on f20 a few weeks ago, but I decided to downgrade to f5 because the system kept ejecting usb drives during sleep when xmp was on… so even if applevtd worked with more than 16gb, I’d need my usb drives to not eject. So I’ll be staying on f5 for the foreseeable future.
Looks like the burden falls on me! Will test this configuration soon, although chances of success are low.
  • Z490 Vision D
  • F20 BIOS
  • VT-d enabled / AppleVTD
  • Big Sur
  • 32GB memory

Looks like the burden falls on me! Will test this configuration soon, although chances of success are low.
  • Z490 Vision D
  • F20 BIOS
  • VT-d enabled / AppleVTD
  • Big Sur
  • 32GB memory
Mad scientist life! Hoping for the best !

Attached is a modified SSDT. Simply disable the previous one and try the new one.

P.S. Please use the "Reply" button at the bottom right of the post so I can trace the conversation back to earlier posts.

View attachment 523302
@CaseySJ

Again, no luck on the updates ssdt. I actually had a hunch its not the nvidia card at all and I was right. I pulled the nvidia card out and i just have intel build in igfx and the stock efi from hackindrom doesnt seem to work with this igfx on 390 designer. I tried the your new efi folder, the stock efi folder from hackindrom and also i tried to boot into catalina with the both efi and it doesnt work.

Has anyone actually tested the build in efi with intel gfx from hackindrom?

here are my screen shot for my system, maybe i missed a bios setting. This is wierd.

Attachments

• 20210629_150818.jpg
    20210629_150818.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 10.12.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 10.12.20 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 20210630_130628.jpg
    20210630_130628.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I experienced all the bios's for AOM. Everytime it was just some time spent to achieve what I need it. I run now I9 9900k at 5100 MHz and 3000 cl16 memory at 3600 cl18. Stabile. Alpin Ridge and all iMac19,1 I run on it, is fully functional. But this is my reality, yours could be different.
I tried out this BIOS and while it may contain the more current Intel microcode, it does break Thunderbolt functionality. To be specific, it breaks USB functionality over Thunderbolt. This is exactly the same behavior I experienced on F11n and F11o. This firmware is based on F11o so unfortunately it still contains its problems. I currently run F11m with no Thunderbolt issues (other than the known ones;)).

@CaseySJ,
You might want to point out in Post #1 the limitations of this patched BIOS.

I'm wondering if the 16GB RAM limit with VTD in Big Sur has anything to do with M1 Macs having a max RAM configuration of 16GB. As if enabling VTD makes part of the system "read as M1" no matter the system configuration. It would be interesting to test with a single 32GB stick of RAM.

I'm wondering if the 16GB RAM limit with VTD in Big Sur has anything to do with M1 Macs having a max RAM configuration of 16GB. As if enabling VTD makes part of the system "read as M1" no matter the system configuration. It would be interesting to test with a single 32GB stick of RAM.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 00.16.49.png

Anyone tried with System Product Name as Mac Pro ?

I tried out this BIOS and while it may contain the more current Intel microcode, it does break Thunderbolt functionality. To be specific, it breaks USB functionality over Thunderbolt. This is exactly the same behavior I experienced on F11n and F11o. This firmware is based on F11o so unfortunately it still contains its problems. I currently run F11m with no Thunderbolt issues (other than the known ones;)).

@CaseySJ,
You might want to point out in Post #1 the limitations of this patched BIOS.
Warning added:

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 4.07.38 PM.png

Back