Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Is it possible to spoof one of the 2066 socket processors from the x299 boards?
I'm not sure that the problem is related to CPU type. It's more likely related to DMA Controller (DMAC). My 2020 13" MacBook Pro also has a properly defined DMAC device in DSDT, and both AppleVTD and DMAC appear in IOReg.

Is it possible to patch the Big Sur kernel? I suspect VT-d is somewhat widely used, which means kernel patching might not be viable. But this is just speculation.

I am sorry, but I lost track of the goal of all this. If we enable vt-d, Thunderbolt works better? I'm still on Mojave and would appreciate tb networking. What are the exact prerequisites? Special Bios? Flashed TB? Windows will still work?

I am sorry, but I lost track of the goal of all this. If we enable vt-d, Thunderbolt works better? I'm still on Mojave and would appreciate tb networking. What are the exact prerequisites? Special Bios? Flashed TB? Windows will still work?
Latest OpenCore and VT-d enabled in BIOS then you have a working TB Ethernet on Mojave and Catalina

Please see this post:

TB Networking (i.e. connecting two Macs over a single Thunderbolt cable and using Thunderbolt NAS drives), however, requires flashing the Titan Ridge firmware. With flashed firmware, Windows will still run, but Thunderbolt behavior in Windows will be somewhat impaired. System may need to be warm booted before TB devices show up in Windows (if they do).

Last edited:
Interesting! Is there a device called DMAC in IOReg, just below the CPU names (CP01, CP02, ...)? It may also be insightful to look at your board's DSDT to see if "DMAC" appears.

Yes I have DMAC, I found @metacollin great post talking about BIOS patches using UEFI Patcher here. (Which seems like a great prelude to building a proper ECC workstation board) I ran UEFI Patcher with BIOS and it found TWO patches which is why I think I have been having issues with OpenCore needing "EnableWriteUnProtector" in booter quirks. Will be patching and updating my OC config and retrying your method. Will update later today

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 7.59.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 7.59.06 AM.png
    662.4 KB · Views: 54
For those curious about VT-D, it should be noted that enabling VT-d on some BIOSes will enable Kernel DMA protection for thunderbolt in windows. You can view this by using the Thunderbolt Control Center, and going to 'About.' This allegedly will help protect against thunderbolt DMA attacks like thunderspy.

For z490 Vision D, the F5 Bios doesn't have kernel dma protection, but the F20 BIOS does. On Z590 Vision D, none of the publicly available beta bioses have kernel dma protection, but there are some unreleased beta bioses that do.

Yes I have DMAC, I found @metacollin great post talking about BIOS patches using UEFI Patcher here. (Which seems like a great prelude to building a proper ECC workstation board) I ran UEFI Patcher with BIOS and it found TWO patches which is why I think I have been having issues with OpenCore needing "EnableWriteUnProtector" in booter quirks. Will be patching and updating my OC config and retrying your method. Will update later today
Is there a DMAC device defined in your DSDT? Please see post below that shows my Asus X99 Deluxe II with native DMAC.

For those curious about VT-D, it should be noted that enabling VT-d on some BIOSes will enable Kernel DMA protection for thunderbolt in windows. You can view this by using the Thunderbolt Control Center, and going to 'About.' This allegedly will help protect against thunderbolt DMA attacks like thunderspy.

For z490 Vision D, the F5 Bios doesn't have kernel dma protection, but the F20 BIOS does. On Z590 Vision D, none of the publicly available beta bioses have kernel dma protection, but there are some unreleased beta bioses that do.
Have you tried BIOS F20 on the Z490 Vision D with AppleVTD enabled and more than 16GB memory running Big Sur? ;)

Back