Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ On my x299 board it loads but I loose ethernet. So I guess x299 boards are susceptible
Interesting! Is there a device called DMAC in IOReg, just below the CPU names (CP01, CP02, ...)? It may also be insightful to look at your board's DSDT to see if "DMAC" appears.

Yes. In Big Sur with Apple VTD present from i/o Reg Explorer, 4x16GB of RAM are present, but there is no ethernet nor wifi services, even if the network configurations are removed or reset: Network interfaces are not even manually configurable with VTD enabled. Still using the modified Z390 BIOS: Z390DESI_modMC_01052021_0906_Rev_0xEA.F9i 2 and unflashed Thunderbolt.
With VTD disabled, everything in Big Sur with UAD and Pro Tools and Thunderbolt works as well as Mojave, but I would still use Mojave for recording. I edited that original post that had a terribly awkward and confusing last sentence.
Thanks! I've updated the table accordingly, and made it clear that it applies to Big Sur and newer versions of macOS.

Greetings! Been a while. I recently updated my machine to Catalina (first time i failed miserably, second time went without a hitch!) However, at the time I didn't notice it, but I seemed to have lost Thunderbolt functionality. Should I flash the BIOS with the enable Thunderbolt version, or is there a way to tell what I screwed up or forgot when i did the upgrade?
It seems 95% of people look at System Information --> Thunderbolt and panic when they see "No drivers are loaded". :) It's been mentioned in Post 1 (yes I know that's a long post) that we must ignore this.

Instead, simply connect a Thunderbolt device. Does it work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks -- I'll run some tests also in Catalina.
I can confirm testing in Big Sur 11.5 (Public Beta 4) exhibits the same behavior for me. Fenvi and built-in Ethernet broken with more than 16GB of memory.

I can confirm testing in Big Sur 11.5 (Public Beta 4) exhibits the same behavior for me. Fenvi and built-in Ethernet broken with more than 16GB of memory.
I've modified the table to say "Big Sur" and removed everything from the "working" table. So sad... :(

But on the bright side:
  • No issues under Mojave with any amount of memory
  • No issues under Catalina with any amount of memory
  • No issues on most X99 and X299 (and possibly X299X) boards with any version of macOS and any amount of memory
  • No issues on any board with any version of macOS if using 16GB or less

Last edited:
I've modified the table to say "Big Sur" and removed everything from the "working" table. So sad... :(

But on the bright side:
  • No issues under Mojave with any amount of memory
  • Perhaps limited issues under Catalina with any amount of memory
  • No issues on most X99 and X299 (and possibly X299X) boards with any version of macOS and any amount of memory
  • No issues on any board with any version of macOS if using 16GB or less
So it appears speed is not the issue, and if it is still functional in Catalina, it seems like it should work in Big Sur. One might think it was deliberately changed in MacOS. Any working theories?

Thanks -- I'll run some tests also in Catalina.

@CaseySJ

I can confirm that running Experiment #3 settings with 2 x 16GB Corsair modules (as previously reported) in Catalina leaves Ethernet and WiFi active. AppleVTD and DMAC are shown in IORegistryExplorer.

VTD Catalina.jpg

@CaseySJ

I can confirm that running Experiment #3 settings with 2 x 16GB Corsair modules (as previously reported) in Catalina leaves Ethernet and WiFi active. AppleVTD and DMAC are shown in IORegistryExplorer.

View attachment 523336
Looks like a pattern is emerging: Mojave and Catalina behave normally with any amount of memory when AppleVTD is enabled. The problem is therefore limited to Big Sur and most likely its successors (Monterey).

My feeling is that systems with device DMAC defined in firmware will work under Big Sur with any amount of memory (again, when AppleVTD is enabled).

Update: Confirmed on Catalina:

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 5.28.16 AM.png

Last edited:
Looks like a pattern is emerging: Mojave and Catalina behave normally with any amount of memory when AppleVTD is enabled. The problem is therefore limited to Big Sur and most likely its successors (Monterey).

My feeling is that systems with device DMAC defined in firmware will work under Big Sur with any amount of memory (again, when AppleVTD is enabled).
Is it possible to spoof one of the 2066 socket processors from the x299 boards?

Back