Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W - white Corsair vengeance rgb pro. I actually have two separate but identical 16 GB (2x8) RAM kits. Technically you’re not supposed to mix and match RAM kits, according to Corsair it could lead to stability problems, but I didn’t know that until after I’d purchased them.

I’ve never had any problems in any system except on the z490 vision d bios f20 and that problem was ejection of usb devices during sleep if XMP was on. Since I’m running macOS from usb (Samsung T7 10 gbps), I need my usb drives to not eject during sleep!

I should note that in my config.plist, I'm using the values for booter->quirks as recommended per the Dortania Install Guide:
I purchased the 4-pack in black. The part number is a little different, probably because it's a 4-pack:

CMW32GX4M4C3200C16

With original Booter Quirks and the ones recommended by Dortania, unfortunately WiFi and the 1 GbE Ethernet port stop connecting when all 4 DIMMs are installed in the Z490 Vision D with AppleVTD enabled. (Same outcome on Z390 Designare.)
  • I think these are identical to yours.
  • I have the option to return them, so no worries at all.
  • Stock BIOS F5.
  • Big Sur 11.5 Beta 3.
  • But before I do, I wonder if there's anything I should try...

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 6.07.34 PM.png

Last edited:
I purchased the 4-pack in black. The part number is a little different, probably because it's a 4-pack:

CMW32GX4M4C3200C16

With original Booter Quirks and the ones recommended by Dortania, unfortunately WiFi and the 1 GbE Ethernet port stop connecting when all 4 DIMMs are installed in the Z490 Vision D.
  • I think these are identical to yours.
  • I have the option to return them, so no worries at all.
  • Stock BIOS F5.
  • Big Sur 11.5 Beta 3.
  • But before I do, I wonder if there's anything I should try...
1624931753308.png

I don't have DMac or AppleVTd in my IoRegistry. I am running with iMac20,1.

View attachment 523219
I don't have DMac or AppleVTd in my IoRegistry. I am running with iMac20,1.
Ah, but AppleVTD is the very reason for this experiment. It allows Thunderbolt to function more fully, but ends up crippling both WiFi and Ethernet when more than 16GB memory is installed.

We're trying to see if we can use more than 16GB memory with AppleVTD enabled without affecting our WiFi and Ethernet ports.

Ah, but AppleVTD is the very reason for this experiment. It allows Thunderbolt to function more fully, but ends up crippling both WiFi and Ethernet when more than 16GB memory is installed.

We're trying to see if we can use more than 16GB memory with AppleVTD enabled without affecting our WiFi and Ethernet ports.
Sorry, how do I go about enabling it?

Sorry, how do I go about enabling it?
Please see first 4 bullets in Experiment Update #3.

My next step is to check the memory used by @jiffyslot, namely: Corsair CMK64GX4M4A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) 2666MHz. Will place an order in the next couple of days. He showed proof of WiFi/Ethernet functionality with AppleVTD enabled, but with macOS Mojave. Need to check whether this works in Catalina and Big Sur.

My next step is to check the memory used by @jiffyslot, namely: Corsair CMK64GX4M4A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) 2666MHz. Will place an order in the next couple of days. He showed proof of WiFi/Ethernet functionality with AppleVTD enabled, but with macOS Mojave. Need to check whether this works in Catalina and Big Sur.
So my wifi is also disabled with AppleVTd loaded and all 4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Dimms installed. Sorry.

I haven't tried removing any DIMMs to see if Wifi loads. Curiously, my iPhone's USB hotspot is working just fine (that's how I'm posting this message). Bluetooth continues to work as well.

Update on Antelope Audio Remote Control Panel Connectivity:

- Antelope TB3 Drivers different versions on each system: Control Panel disconnects/times out in 2 minutes or less. iOS application 100% connected and working.

- Antelope TB3 Drivers are the same on each system: Control Panels stay connected and function 100%. iOS application 100% connected and working.

I will need to test this out on another system that is not using a z170x board to make 100% sure that it is just a driver mismatch causing the dropouts.

Ha ha, I really have no idea why this thing works in Mojave. I'm going to try to get this thing going for Big Sur so that I have some parity* with most people's current build.

@CaseySJ UPDATE: In Big Sur, both ethernet ports and WiFi are broken with VTD enabled in the BIOS, but all 64GB RAM is available.

*RAM dad-joke inserted here.

Last edited:
So my wifi is also disabled with AppleVTd loaded and all 4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Dimms installed. Sorry.

I haven't tried removing any DIMMs to see if Wifi loads. Curiously, my iPhone's USB hotspot is working just fine (that's how I'm posting this message). Bluetooth continues to work as well.
With two of the four DIMMs installed (A1/B1 or A2/B2) everything will work fine with AppleVTD enabled. It's only when we exceed 16GB that things go awry. This problem does not affect X99 and X299 systems (nor Z170X Designare, it seems).

- Antelope TB3 Drivers are the same on each system: Control Panels stay connected and function 100%. iOS application 100% connected and working.
Now that's more like it...

Back