Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey y'all, can someone help me in trying to diagnose why my system is freezing? I'm not sure if it's a graphics issue but it seems to be. The screen freezes but doesn't restart so I'm not sure it is a kernel panic? Any ides how to troubleshoot and diagnose?

i9-9900k, Z390, rx580, OC 0.7.0

attached is the systems config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.2 KB · Views: 62
@CaseySJ

I just removed one 16GB Corsair memory module CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 from B1 on my Designare Z390, so I have one 16GB Corsair memory module in A1. Experiment #3 settings. AppleVTD in IORegistryExplorer, and Ethernet and WiFi are active.

With 32GB of this Corsair memory, Ethernet and WiFi were disabled.

This is using your modified F9i BIOS, and your SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml file -- if that makes any difference.
Thanks -- this is further validation of bullet #3 in this post:

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I just removed one 16GB Corsair memory module CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 from B1 on my Designare Z390, so I have one 16GB Corsair memory module in A1. Experiment #3 settings. AppleVTD in IORegistryExplorer, and Ethernet and WiFi are active.

With 32GB of this Corsair memory, Ethernet and WiFi were disabled.

This is using your modified F9i BIOS, and your SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml file -- if that makes any difference.

With the one 16GB memory module as reported above, the Apple TB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter works.

Hey y'all, can someone help me in trying to diagnose why my system is freezing? I'm not sure if it's a graphics issue but it seems to be. The screen freezes but doesn't restart so I'm not sure it is a kernel panic? Any ides how to troubleshoot and diagnose?

i9-9900k, Z390, rx580, OC 0.7.0

attached is the systems config.plist
All the usual questions apply:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • When did the problem first occur?
  • How long was the system running properly, without this problem?
  • What changed recently?
  • Which version of BIOS are you using?
  • What applications are you using when the freeze occurs?
  • Or does the system freeze even when no apps are running?
  • Does the system freeze while you are actively using the system (i.e. moving the mouse, typing)?
  • Or does it freeze only when you're not interacting with it?
  • Have you noticed any other patterns that makes the problem occur or not occur?

With the one 16GB memory module as reported above, the Apple TB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter works.
Somehow I missed your name, but that has now been corrected:

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 12.58.42 PM.png

All the usual questions apply:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • When did the problem first occur?
  • How long was the system running properly, without this problem?
  • What changed recently?
  • Which version of BIOS are you using?
  • What applications are you using when the freeze occurs?
  • Or does the system freeze even when no apps are running?
  • Does the system freeze while you are actively using the system (i.e. moving the mouse, typing)?
  • Or does it freeze only when you're not interacting with it?
  • Have you noticed any other patterns that makes the problem occur or not occur?

Has been occurring since I redid the system from Clover and 10.14
BIOS version is F9i modified by Elias64Fr
Applications can range from Safari to Ableton to Finder
Typically happens when moving the mouse it seems

I think possibly it could be USB problems, was not running all my USB 2.0 Devices from a hub from the HS09/10 ports like I should have been, will see if that fixes the issue

That's what happened the first time. Or actually I booted Windows and it still said there's no TPM. MacOS is unaffected as expected. If I change the setting from disabled to enabled and save and exit setup it restarts, rechecks all the ram (takes a little while with 64 GB), then if I enter bios settings again before ever letting OC load the setting has reverted to disabled. Doesn't matter if I let OC start or not, it just doesn't stick.

Also there's no warning when enabling PTT, which is something I've seen for some other MBs, but maybe that's just a thing with this Gigabyte board.
That's very strange. Because PTT is needed for Windows 11, this is a legitimate issue to raise with Gigabyte Tech Support via the Gigabyte website. If you've never submitted a help ticket, it is necessary to first create an account so that you can both submit tickets and track their progress.

Has been occurring since I redid the system from Clover and 10.14
BIOS version is F9i modified by Elias64Fr
Applications can range from Safari to Ableton to Finder
Typically happens when moving the mouse it seems

I think possibly it could be USB problems, was not running all my USB 2.0 Devices from a hub from the HS09/10 ports like I should have been, will see if that fixes the issue
If you're using a fair number of USB devices, please have a look at this (Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1):

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 1.05.12 PM.png

That's very strange. Because PTT is needed for Windows 11, this is a legitimate issue to raise with Gigabyte Tech Support via the Gigabyte website. If you've never submitted a help ticket, it is necessary to first create an account so that you can both submit tickets and track their progress.
Did a quick test with mine (i7-9700K): enabling PTT and it survives reboots and shutdowns. Clover here…

Using this BIOS : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-3038#post-2239464

Last edited:
Back