Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the RAM issue, but I came across this unpleasantness last night: It's a LinusTechTips video about single/dual rank chips being swapped around by manufacturers to meet demand.
I don't know how much of a concern it is, but I thought I should at least post a couple links:

If one were building a new machine, is there any reason to not use 2x32GB RAM?

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the RAM issue, but I came across this unpleasantness last night: It's a LinusTechTips video about single/dual rank chips being swapped around by manufacturers to meet demand.
I don't know how much of a concern it is, but I thought I should at least post a couple links:

Mods: These may not display as simple links. Please edit or delete this message as needed. Thanks.
Buildzoid posted a good follow-up video on this.

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr

...with my Z390 Designare:

I have installed one 16GB memory module (G.SKILL - F4-3000C16Q-64GTZR)in bank A1. Everything works perfectly!

With two, three or four modules the LAN / WLAN is deactivated. It does not matter in which slot the modules are inserted.
@CaseySJ Is this problem limited to a certain version of macOS? Could it be a bug in the OS?

@StefanAM,
My experience with F11o and F11n was not good as it appeared to break some thunderbolt/USB-c functionality. I believe there are similar problems with the latest versions of the Designare BIOS. Since it is based on the F11o version, does this patched version only update the intel microcode? Or does it fix the problems introduced in the last two beta versions?
I experienced all the bios's for AOM. Everytime it was just some time spent to achieve what I need it. I run now I9 9900k at 5100 MHz and 3000 cl16 memory at 3600 cl18. Stabile. Alpin Ridge and all iMac19,1 I run on it, is fully functional. But this is my reality, yours could be different.

Just enabled Intel Platform Trust Technology in BIOS F9i (w/latest microcode update from Elias). No problem booting macOS. Will go back into BIOS now to see whether PTT is still enabled.

Update: Yes, it is still enabled. I did not reset CMOS or make any other changes to BIOS. Just flipped PTT on.
Oh well, if we have identical bioses it seems the CPU might be the problem. Could try standard F9i just to make sure. Is it safe to "downgrade" from modified F9i to standard using Qflash?

Oh well, if we have identical bioses it seems the CPU might be the problem. Could try standard F9i just to make sure. Is it safe to "downgrade" from modified F9i to standard using Qflash?
Yes it’s okay to downgrade, but should not be necessary. Please try configuring BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). See Post 1 for BIOS configuration. If problem persists then try downgrading.

Yes it’s okay to downgrade, but should not be necessary. Please try configuring BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). See Post 1 for BIOS configuration. If problem persists then try downgrading.
That's what I did when it didn't work after trying a couple of times with a cold boot inbetween. I reset CMOS, loaded optimized defaults, restarted once then tried setting it to enabled without doing any of the hackintosh related changes.

That's what I did when it didn't work after trying a couple of times with a cold boot inbetween. I reset CMOS, loaded optimized defaults, restarted once then tried setting it to enabled without doing any of the hackintosh related changes.
What exactly happens? When you enable TPP from the Miscellaneous sub-menu, Save & Exit, then start MacOS, is everything okay? Then you reboot and go back to BIOS and TPP is suddenly turned off?

What exactly happens? When you enable TPP from the Miscellaneous sub-menu, Save & Exit, then start MacOS, is everything okay? Then you reboot and go back to BIOS and TPP is suddenly turned off?
That's what happened the first time. Or actually I booted Windows and it still said there's no TPM. MacOS is unaffected as expected. If I change the setting from disabled to enabled and save and exit setup it restarts, rechecks all the ram (takes a little while with 64 GB), then if I enter bios settings again before ever letting OC load the setting has reverted to disabled. Doesn't matter if I let OC start or not, it just doesn't stick.

Also there's no warning when enabling PTT, which is something I've seen for some other MBs, but maybe that's just a thing with this Gigabyte board.

@CaseySJ

I just removed one 16GB Corsair memory module CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 from B1 on my Designare Z390, so I have one 16GB Corsair memory module in A1. Experiment #3 settings. AppleVTD in IORegistryExplorer, and Ethernet and WiFi are active.

With 32GB of this Corsair memory, Ethernet and WiFi were disabled.

This is using your modified F9i BIOS, and your SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml file -- if that makes any difference.

AppleVTD Active.jpg

Back