Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

What is the make/model of these DIMMs?
The 2 working DIMMs: G.SKILL F4-3600C17Q-32GVK (Can't get past 2 X DIMMs)

My newer DIMMs (64Gb set): G.SKILL F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC - I can't get past 1 X DIMM

The 2 working DIMMs: G.SKILL F4-3600C17Q-32GVK (Can't get past 2 X DIMMs)

My newer DIMMs (64Gb set): G.SKILL F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC - I can't get past 1 X DIMM
Why do I get the feeling there might soon be a rush for Corsair Vengeance!

Why do I get the feeling there might soon be a rush for Corsair Vengeance!

@CaseySJ

Don't jump too quickly to Corsair Vengeance memory as the solution.

I had temporary access over the weekend to a second Gigabyte Designare Z390 I built.

Setup per Experiment #3. Memory in A1/B1 - 16GB, 3200MHz in each slot. CMK32GX4M2B3200C16.

Corsair Vengeance.jpg

AppleVTD DID NOT appear in IORegistryExplorer. Ethernet and WiFi remained active.

A strange result based on other reported results.

@CaseySJ

Don't jump too quickly to Corsair Vengeance memory as the solution.

I had temporary access over the weekend to a second Gigabyte Designare Z390 I built.

Setup per Experiment #3. Memory in A1/B1 - 16GB, 3200MHz in each slot. CMK32GX4M2B3200C16.

AppleVTD DID NOT appear in IORegistryExplorer. Ethernet and WiFi remained active.

A strange result based on other reported results.
AppleVTD should appear regardless of the type of memory. Is it possible that the second Gigabyte Z390 Designare had boot argument dart=0 that prevented AppleVTD?

AppleVTD should appear regardless of the type of memory. Is it possible that the second Gigabyte Z390 Designare had boot argument dart=0 that prevented AppleVTD?
@CaseySJ

No, dart=0 was definitely removed. I duplicated the setup several times and made sure the proper EFI was being used because of the results I was seeing. This is admittedly an "outlier."

BIOS F9i, Flashed TB 33, Fenvi T-919, Big Sur 11.4, OC 0.7.0, i9-9900K

@CaseySJ

No, dart=0 was definitely removed. I duplicated the setup several times and made sure the proper EFI was being used because of the results I was seeing. This is admittedly an "outlier."

I'm thinking (just thinking) of testing what appears to be a newer model:
  • CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 (2020 model)
  • W is for Vengeance RGB Pro
  • 16GB DIMM
Yours is the:
  • CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 (2015 model)
  • K is for Vengeance LPX
  • 16GB DIMM

@CaseySJ

Something I had a problem with was I always had to reset NVRAM as the dart=0 argument would stay active after I removed it.

Something I had a problem with was I always had to reset NVRAM as the dart=0 argument would stay active after I removed it.
We can solve this by putting boot-args into NVRAM --> Delete, as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 6.06.37 AM.png

In your Clover config.plist, please try deleting DMAR as shown below (i.e. remove that line), then reboot (VT-d must be enabled in BIOS). Does AppleVTD now appear in IOReg?
View attachment 523102
Holy cow! @CaseySJ , you're an evil Genius! They should bronze your brain when you're finished with it! AppleVTD showed up and the Antelope device works thru Thunderbolt! Game-changer!:clap:

The only caveat is that I can't daisy-chain my UAD Apollo and my Antelope. When I do, they disappear and Thunderbolt Bus shows up. I'm gonna go get a second TB3 -> TB2 adapter today and try to run them from both ports... AFTER I play with my AFX2DAW effects. :headbang:

Asus X299 Prime Deluxe II
bios 0802
4x16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000 (2) 3200 (2)
Clover 5122
macOS X 10.13.6 (17G6030)
Wifi -> working
Ethernet -> still out, 1G and 5G

Update: Shutdown and started back up in Windows 10 to confirm all devices were attached. Shutdown and booted to macOS X and BOOM, FULL Thunderbolt with both devices daisy-chained!

Attachments

• AppleVTD w Antelope.png
    AppleVTD w Antelope.png
    790 KB · Views: 70
  • Thunderbolt Bus Daisy Chain.png
    Thunderbolt Bus Daisy Chain.png
    637.9 KB · Views: 70
  • FULL Thunderbolt.png
    FULL Thunderbolt.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Not to be a bother but did you have a chance to try activating PTT @CaseySJ? I tried resetting CMOS and enabling PTT before touching any bios settings but it still comes back disabled. Wondering if there could be a problem with my 9900K, or if it's somehow still related to my bios screwup (seems a bit unlikely as I flashed the full chip using your bios).

Back