Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

1. Yes, VT-d is enabled in the BIOS
  2. No, AppleVTD doesn't show in IOReg.
  3. WiFi and Ethernet are working perfectly (I use both)
  4. Memory is the HyperX Fury RGB 128GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM (Kit of 4) HX426C16FB3AK4/128 with XMP off
  5. I'm running the F9i Official BIOS
@CaseySJ - Happy to do some experimenting. Where do I start?
Because AppleVTD does not appear, it means these results are not valid for this experiment! :)

If you see the top section of Experiment Update #3, it lists the exact changes that need to be made in order to enable AppleVTD. Then if WiFi and Ethernet can still connect please let us know. That would be an important data point.

Because AppleVTD does not appear, it means these results are not valid for this experiment! :)

If you see the top section of Experiment Update #3, it lists the exact changes that need to be made in order to enable AppleVTD. Then if WiFi and Ethernet can still connect please let us know. That would be an important data point.
I'm heading out with the family for the pool, but will test when I get back and let you know the results.

I'm heading out with the family for the pool, but will test when I get back and let you know the results.
Because you're using 2666MHz DIMMs, we would be very interested in your results.

Hello @CaseySJ

have you tried those DDR4 memory combinations with iMac20,1 SMBIOS ? It would interesting to have a Mac model correlation :)
Unfortunately iMac20,1 did not help…

Wow! So a Z390 Designare with 64GB of native 2666MHz memory has no side effects with AppleVTD!
  • Is XMP Profile 1 disabled?
  • Which version of BIOS is installed?
Will add your name and to “Experiment Update #3”.

Does anyone else have native 2666MHz memory??
Hi @CaseySJ, I can run the setup with XMP off or on. When XMP is on and set at 2666 MHz, it runs at 2667 MHz.
At least with Mojave, XMP doesn't seem to make a difference. BIOS is the modifed F9i. FWIW, Sleep is disabled because this machine is for Pro Tools.

Attachments

• Mojave 19,1.png
    Mojave 19,1.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 4x16GB RAM on Gigabyte Z390 Designare.png
    4x16GB RAM on Gigabyte Z390 Designare.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 39
  • En0_En1_WiFi_BT.png
    En0_En1_WiFi_BT.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 46
  • VTD io.png
    VTD io.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 47
  • pmset -g.png
    pmset -g.png
    29 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ, I can run the setup with XMP off or on. When XMP is on and set at 2666 MHz, it runs at 2667 MHz.
At least with Mojave, XMP doesn't seem to make a difference. BIOS is the modifed F9i.
So just to triple confirm:
  • AppleVTD appears in IOReg? --> Yes
  • And WiFi / Ethernet can connect? --> Yes
  • This is with four 16GB 2666MHz DIMMs on Z390 Designare? --> Yes
(OS is Mojave)

Update: Got the answers from this post. Looks like this is the memory you're using:

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 11.48.12 AM.png

Last edited:
So just to triple confirm:
  • AppleVTD appears in IOReg?
  • And WiFi / Ethernet can connect?
  • This is with four 16GB 2666MHz DIMMs on Z390 Designare?
(OS is Mojave)
Yes. I've reattached the essential screen shots above. Should I include a BIOS Setup file and a serial-cleaned copy of my EFI? I'd really like to make my Z370 OC 060 Mojave setup work as much the same as possible, hence the ants in my pants to get help for that troublesome build that is nearly identical to the Z390 build.

Yes. I've reattached the essential screen shots above. Should I include a BIOS Setup file and a serial-cleaned copy of my EFI? I'd really like to make my Z370 OC 060 Mojave setup work as much the same as possible, hence the ants in my pants to get help for that troublesome build that is nearly identical to the Z390 build.
Have you already enabled VT-d on your Z370? If so, what side effects are you experiencing?

By the way, if you remove the DIMMs from memory slots A1 and B1 on the Z390 Designare, leaving only A2 and B2 populated with 16GB DIMMs, does WiFi and Ethernet still work?

Last edited:
Back