Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** Experiment Update #3 **
AppleVTD Side-Effects and Mitigation Strategies

Current Situation:
To extend Thunderbolt compatibility to Antelope Audio, Apple TB-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, and some other devices, we have found that enabling VT-d is the key.

This can be done on any Intel-based Hackintosh and does not require any special or modified BIOS. To enable VT-d, we need to do the following:
  • Enable VT-d in BIOS
  • In OpenCore config.plist, uncheck DisableIoMapper (in the Kernel Quirks section)
  • In OpenCore config.plist, remove "dart=0" from Boot-Args if present (in the NVRAM section)
  • After rebooting, run IORegistryExplorer to see whether a new device named AppleVTD appears near the top of the list. This confirms that VT-d is enabled.

Side-Effects:
Unfortunately there are side-effects. Different motherboards exhibit different side-effects. Here is what we know so far:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
    • With two 8GB DIMMs, one in A1 and the other in B1, there are no side-effects. Everything works.
    • With 16GB DIMMs, one in A1 and the other in B1, Ethernet and WiFi will fail to connect.
    • If all 4 DIMM slots are occupied with 8GB or larger DIMMs, Ethernet and WiFi will fail to connect.
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
    • The system does not boot when only memory slots A1 and B1 are occupied (based on using two 16GB DIMMs).
    • Later I will see what happens with two 8GB DIMMs in either A1/B1 or A2/B2.
  • Asus X99 Deluxe II
    • This is an Intel HEDT (high-end desktop) platform with 8 DIMM slots.
    • When 4 slots are occupied with 8GB DIMMs each (total 32GB), there are no side-effects.

@gandem
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
    • With one DIMM installed, there are no side-effects

@qthegaijin
  • Gigabyte X299 Designare EX (Intel HEDT)
    • 128GB memory (all 8 slots occupied with 16GB DIMMs)
    • There are no side-effects (running Mojave with Mojave version of IntelSmallTree82576 kext, and ReleaseUSBOwnership checked on).
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
    • USB ports stopped working, but the solution is to enable ReleaseUSBOwnership in UEFI section of OpenCore config.plist.
    • After making that change, there are no side-effects.

@djlild7hina
  • ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G (Intel HEDT)
    • 64GB memory using 16GB modules in 4 of 8 slots
    • There are no side-effects

@NorthAmTransAm
  • Asus Z370-A Prime II
    • Two 8GB DIMMs and no side-effects
Z390 Designare 20GB RAM fully working

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 22.54.24.png

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ, here are some screen captures of what's working and where on my #1 build. Should I look for a particular mobo build-batch to post?
That's very interesting! You have four 16GB DIMMs running at 2666MHz. Can you confirm if WiFi and Ethernet ports actually connect. In other words, do you see the green dot next to them in System Preferences --> Network, as shown below?

@Inqnuam, do you also see green dots for built-in Ethernet ports and Fenvi WiFi (not Thunderbolt Ethernet)?
Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 2.06.36 PM.png

@Inqnuam, do you also see the green dots for built-in Ethernet ports and Fenvi WiFi (not Thunderbolt Ethernet)?
Of course sir!
Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 23.11.23.png

But I'm on latest OC Beta:
Here is my Report Archive with ready to boot OC 0.7.1 EFI (kexts and all up to date)

Attachments

• ReportEFI_OC0.7.1_149.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 77
Of course sir!
View attachment 522963

But I'm on latest OC Beta:
Here is my Report Archive with ready to boot OC 0.7.1 EFI (kexts and all up to date)
This is wonderful. Now you have:
  • A1 = 8GB
  • B1 = 8GB
  • A2 = 4GB
Do you have another 4GB module in order to test this configuration?
  • A1 = 8GB
  • B1 = 8GB
  • A2 = 4GB
  • B2 = 4GB
Was it necessary to down-clock the memory to 2666MHz?

This is wonderful. Now you have:
  • A1 = 8GB
  • B1 = 8GB
  • A2 = 4GB
Do you have another 4GB module in order to test this configuration?
  • A1 = 8GB
  • B1 = 8GB
  • A2 = 4GB
  • B2 = 4GB
Unfortunately I don't
Will try to buy one on Monday at a local tech store

Was it necessary to down-clock the memory to 2666MHz?
The 4GB memory I found is 2666MHz, BIOS? down-locked them all to 2666Mhz,
Didn't checked yet if my custom confi XMP Profile 1 is still enabled or not
Will check that right now

EDIT:
Yes XMP Profile 1 is now disabled

Last edited:
** Experiment Update #3 **
AppleVTD Side-Effects and Mitigation Strategies

Current Situation:
To extend Thunderbolt compatibility to Antelope Audio, Apple TB-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, and some other devices, we have found that enabling VT-d is the key.

This can be done on any Intel-based Hackintosh and does not require any special or modified BIOS. To enable VT-d, we need to do the following:
  • Enable VT-d in BIOS
  • In OpenCore config.plist, uncheck DisableIoMapper (in the Kernel Quirks section)
  • In OpenCore config.plist, remove "dart=0" from Boot-Args if present (in the NVRAM section)
  • After rebooting, run IORegistryExplorer to see whether a new device named AppleVTD appears near the top of the list. This confirms that VT-d is enabled.

@CaseySJ Just wanted to report that X299 Gaming 7 the built in ethernet stopped working. Any suggestions on what to try?

Update on Gigabyte Z490 Vision D:

With one 16GB DIMM (in A2) there are no side-effects with AppleVTD. Everything works.

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 3.27.35 PM.png

These configurations were also tested, but they result in WiFi and Ethernet not connecting:
  • 16GB by 2
  • 16GB by 3
  • 16GB by 4
  • 16GB by 2 and 8GB by 2

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Just wanted to report that X299 Gaming 7 the built in ethernet stopped working. Any suggestions on what to try?
As you can see, the number and capacity of memory DIMMs make a difference.
  • How many DIMMs are installed currently?
  • And what is the capacity of each one?
  • You have an Intel HEDT system (X299), which version of macOS are you running?
  • And which of the two Ethernet ports fails?
  • Please post a screenshot of System Information --> Ethernet Cards with both cards selected (as you can see in my screenshot directly above)

Back