Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@StefanAM,

It is not clear to me that SSDT-DMAC is needed because my Z390 Designare with Vt-d enabled has no problems with Ethernet, WiFi, or any other device.

But if someone does have Ethernet and WiFi problems, then I agree they should try SSDT-DMAC.

@NCMacGuy @yosoyoco

Because you're experiencing Ethernet and WiFi problems with Vt-d enabled, please try adding SSDT-DMAC from @StefanAM's post directly above. It must be copied to OC/ACPI folder and a reference must be added to config.plist --> ACPI section.
"
# Adding missing parts

Although adding any of the missing parts listed below may improve performance, they can only be regarded as a refinement. They are not a necessity for getting your Hackintosh to work, except for `PMCR` which may be a requirement for Z390 Chipsets.

**NOTE:** In order to add any of the components listed below, click on the name of the device listed in the menu above to find the corresponding SSDT.

## Instructions

In **DSDT**, search for:

- `PNP0200`, if missing, add ***SSDT-DMAC***. Adds Direct Memory Access [(DMA) Controller](https://binaryterms.com/direct-memory-access-dma.html).

- `PNP0C01`, if missing, add ***SSDT-MEM2***. Seems to be related to Laptop iGPU's only. Not very much is known about this device, [though](https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/post-1277391)

- `0x00160000`, if missing, add ***SSDT-IMEI***. Adds Intel MEI required for Intel GPU acceleration (for 6th-series mainboards only)

- `0x001F0002`, if missing, add ***SSDT-PPMC***. For 6th Gen machines or later. Adds Platform Power Management Controller

- `MCHC`, if missing, add ***SSDT-MCHC***

- `0x001F0003` (before generation 6) or `0x001F0004` (generation 6 and later). Find the name of the device it belongs to. It will either be called `SBUS`or `SMBU`. Select the corresponding SSDT (SBUS/SMBU) to fix System Management Bus.

**NOTE**: `SSDT-MCHC`and `SSTD-SBUS/SMBU`have since been combined into one Patch. Use ***SSDT-SBUS-MCHC*** instead, which is included in the OpenCore package download from Acidanthera.

- Search for `PNP0C0C` and add ***SSDT-PWRB*** if it is missing. Adds Power Button Device

- Search for `PNP0C0E` and add ***SSDT-SLPB*** if missing, this part is needed for the `PNP0C0E Sleep Correction Method`.

- `PMCR` or `APP9876`, if missing, add ***SSDT-PMCR***. For 6th gen or later. Z390 Chipsets also require this.

**Note**: found by @Pleasecallmeofficial to provide the method, which has now become the official OpenCore SSDT example.

> Z390 chipset PMC (D31:F2) can only be booted via MMIO. Since there is no PMC device in the ACPI specification, Apple has introduced its own named `APP9876` to access this device from the AppleIntelPCHPMC driver. In other operating systems, this device is generally accessed using `HID: PNP0C02`, `UID: PCHRESV`.

> Platforms, including APTIO V, cannot read or write NVRAM until the PMC device is initialized (it is frozen in SMM mode).

> It is not known why this is the case, but it is worth noting that PMC and SPI are located in different memory regions, and PCHRESV maps both, but Apple's AppleIntelPCHPMC will only map the region where PMC is located.

> There is no relationship between the PMC device and the LPC bus, and this SSDT is purely to add the device under the LPC bus to speed up the initialization of the PMC. If it is added to the PCI0 bus, the PMC will only start after the PCI configuration is finished and it will be too late for operations that need to read NVRAM.

**CAUTION:** When using the any of the patches, note that `LPC`/`LPCB` name should be consistent with the name used in the original ACPI."

Hi @CaseySJ
I would like to install macOS Big Sur on a second partition (currently dedicated to macOS Mojave) alongside macOS Catalina. My system is obviously based on the Gigabyte z390 Designare motherboard (BIOS v. F9b - with MSR 0xE2 previously unlocked following Your Micro-Guide) with a multiboot configuration on three separate drives (macOS, Windows 10, Linux) using Clover bootoloader in UEFI mode.
I know that I will have to switch from Clover to Opencore (using the EFI folder that You provide in Your Guide) before starting the new installation of macOS Big Sur so I would like to ask you a few questions to avoid adding problems:
- is it mandatory to update BIOS to newer versions (i.e. F9g or F9i)?
Hello @SardusX,

It's highly highly highly recommended (i.e. Just Do It :)) to install F9g or F9i. I would recommend F9i. Then unlock MSR 0xE2 just by doing this: BIOS Setup --> Boot --> CFG-Lock --> Disabled. As easy as that to unlock MSR 0xE2.

- should i reset NVRAM via OpenCore boot window before starting the install from macOS Big-Sur USB pendrive installer?
That sounds like a good idea actually.

- the EFI folder and the config.plist file you provide in your Micro-Guide to Open-Core 0.70 is compatible with a multiboot system as I described above or should I update/fix/change something?
It is compatible with multi-boot system. But OpenCore may detect Windows differently from Clover. The best thing is for each operating system (macOS / Windows Linux) to be on its own SSD with its own EFI partition. Then OpenCore can easily detect them.

- how can I transfer PlatformInfo information from Clover to OpenCore? Can i use a Plist editor (PlistEdit Pro)?
  • Open Clover config.plist in Clover Configurator
    • Go to RtVariables and SMBIOS sections to view serial numbers
  • Open OpenCore config.plist in OpenCore Configurator (download from here)
    • Go to PlatformInfo --> DataHub section
    • Make sure OpenCore Configurator title bar says [0.7.0 Release Configuration]
    • If it doesn't, then go to its Settings page and change it

Clover Configurator: RtVariables
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.13.38 AM.png

Clover Configurator: SMBIOS
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.13.41 AM.png

OpenCore Configurator: PlatformInfo --> DataHub:
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.12.25 AM.png

- in the EFI folder that you provide in Your guide there are two SSDTs (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml, SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7D.aml):are they suitable with my case Fractal Design Define C TG or would a customization be appropriate?
Thanks in advance for Your help
Use the same SSDT-UIAC... that you are using now. Copy that file into OpenCore's OC/ACPI folder and add a reference to it in config.plist --> ACPI section using OpenCore Configurator:

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.22.13 AM.png

@Inqnuam @NCMacGuy @yosoyoco,

Please check whether you have a device called DMAC in IORegistryExplorer.
@CaseySJ

I have no DMAC device showing in IORegistryExplorer.

After adding @StefanAM's SSDT-DMAC.aml file to OC/ACPI and activating it in config.plist, then rebooting, a DMAC device appeared in IORegistryExplorer. However, board Ethernet and WiFi were still disabled and Apple Ethernet was active.

DMAC Entry.jpg

- `PNP0200`, if missing, add ***SSDT-DMAC***. Adds Direct Memory Access [(DMA) Controller](https://binaryterms.com/direct-memory-access-dma.html).

Just added SSDT-DMAC.aml to my Z390 Designare and everything is still working fine:
  • AppleVTD
  • DMAC
  • Ethernet
  • WiFi
  • Apple TB-to-GbE Adapter
I will add this SSDT to the standard EFI next month with OpenCore 0.7.1.

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.31.44 AM.png

@CaseySJ

I have no DMAC device showing in IORegistryExplorer.

After adding @StefanAM's SSDT-DMAC.aml file to OC/ACPI and activating it in config.plist, then rebooting, a DMAC device appeared in IORegistryExplorer. However, board Ethernet and WiFi were still disabled and Apple Ethernet was active.
Just updated the table. We need to keep looking for differences. There must be something?!?!!

Suggestion 1:
Please try loading the attached BIOS profile directly into BIOS Setup (Save & Exit --> Load Profile). You may want to save your current settings first. These settings assume AMD GPU is in Slot 1.

Suggestion 2:
Try disabling Internal Graphics in BIOS Setup. Then your i9-9900K effectively becomes i9-9900KF (same as @Inqnuam).

Attachments

• BIOS-4-setting.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 69
@CaseySJ

Just updated the table. We need to keep looking for differences. There must be something?!?!!

Suggestion 1:
Please try loading the attached BIOS profile directly into BIOS Setup (Save & Exit --> Load Profile). You may want to save your current settings first. These settings assume AMD GPU is in Slot 1.

Saved my BIOS settings and imported your BIOS-4-settings. NO CHANGE in Ethernet/WiFi.

Suggestion 2:
Try disabling Internal Graphics in BIOS Setup. Then your i9-9900K effectively becomes i9-9900KF (same as @Inqnuam).

Disabled Internal Graphics in BIOS. NO CHANGE in Ethernet/WiFi

About the last thing we haven't compared is our config.plist files. Worth a try? I have never used the HackinDROM app for OC updates, instead doing it manually. Perhaps there are some difference(s) there causing the different results.

I'm fairly sure my Big Sur installation was not a clean install, but an update from Mojave. Perhaps I'll try a fresh install of Big Sur on an external drive.

@CaseySJ

Saved my BIOS settings and imported your BIOS-4-settings. NO CHANGE in Ethernet/WiFi.

Disabled Internal Graphics in BIOS. NO CHANGE in Ethernet/WiFi
Thanks -- this is helpful.

About the last thing we haven't compared is our config.plist files. Worth a try? I have never used the HackinDROM app for OC updates, instead doing it manually. Perhaps there are some difference(s) there causing the different results.

I'm fairly sure my Big Sur installation was not a clean install, but an update from Mojave. Perhaps I'll try a fresh install of Big Sur on an external drive.
Good idea. The EFI can be downloaded from HackinDROM, which will ensure a high degree of consistency.

** Looking for one LG UltraFine 5K and one Apple Thunderbolt Display Owner **

Reason:
  • To install modified BIOS (via Q-Flash in BIOS Setup) containing Apple Thunderbolt drivers and check:​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor powers on doing BIOS and OpenCore Picker​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor's on-board devices are functional during BIOS and OpenCore Picker​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor is more reliable in any way than before​

Prerequisites:
  • Must own Gigabyte Z390 Designare Hackintosh running Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur
  • Boot loader must be OpenCore
  • Must be running BIOS F9i (either the official F9i or one of Elias' modified versions)
  • Must own either (a) LG UltraFine 5K or (b) Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • LG UltraFine 5K can be either latest model (27MD5KLB-B) or previous version (27MD5KL-B)
Ideally you should have 75 or more posts so that Private Messaging is open to you.
CaseySJ, if you don't need to have a modded Thunderbolt chip, I have the prerequisites and an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

@CaseySJ

Here's my test results and info

BIOS: Modded NHI
CPU: i9-9900K
GPU: iGPU (No dGPU)
IOReg AppleVTD present: Yes
IOReg DMAC present: No (Unless using SSDT-DMAC.aml)
MaciASL DMAR present: Yes
Networking Broken: Yes (except Aquantia)
Thunderbolt Devices: LG UltraFine 5K latest model

I flashed the BIOS and used your SSDT and BIOS profile, except I then changed the BIOS to use IGFX instead of PCI slot 1 since I no longer have a GPU.

My integrated Wi-Fi and built in Ethernet are still broken after these changes. Aquantia NIC works fine. SSDT-DMAC.aml did not fix it, but added DMAC to IOReg.

With regards to my monitor, I can't use it preboot at all, before or after these settings. A little more about this monitor:

With an RX 580 (that I no longer have), I could POST and use it if I connected it to the DP-In port. Other operating systems worked fine, but I had to configure iGPU to not be headless, or macOS would freeze on wake. Using the settings in your iGPU only EFI are what I use to avoid that. Occasionally, the monitor doesn't turn on when powering on the PC, and I need to unplug/replug it, but no sleep/wake issues.

With iGPU only, I can't boot. Plugging in the monitor makes me lose all video, and I have to restart. I can't get video back. However, I can boot with a normal monitor, plug in the TB monitor after booting into macOS, unplug the DP/HDMI monitor, and macOS works fine with it. Interesting test result is that (after flashing BIOS, not sure about stock F9i), is that I can enter the BIOS, then plug in the monitor (lose video and need to power off and on), the TB monitor will show the POST screen for a second, before both monitors go dark. In all cases, it has been impossible for me to boot with iGPU only and the LG monitor attached, even with a non-TB monitor connected, and hotplugging the LG monitor before booting into macOS requires me to restart with it disconnected to get video

Last edited:
Something new I noticed. My XHC5 is now XHC3.

Back