Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** Looking for one LG UltraFine 5K and one Apple Thunderbolt Display Owner **

Reason:
  • To install modified BIOS (via Q-Flash in BIOS Setup) containing Apple Thunderbolt drivers and check:​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor powers on doing BIOS and OpenCore Picker​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor's on-board devices are functional during BIOS and OpenCore Picker​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor is more reliable in any way than before​
Prerequisites:
  • Must own Gigabyte Z390 Designare Hackintosh running Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur
  • Boot loader must be OpenCore
  • Must be running BIOS F9i (either the official F9i or one of Elias' modified versions)
  • Must own either (a) LG UltraFine 5K or (b) Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • LG UltraFine 5K can be either latest model (27MD5KLB-B) or previous version (27MD5KL-B)
Ideally you should have 75 or more posts so that Private Messaging is open to you.
I have the latest LG UltraFine 5K monitor and would like to test if you haven't already done this

@Inqnuam,

Are you also using any Samsung NVMe or SATA SSDs? If so, which ones?
I have a NVMe 970 Evo Plus 500GB, which is my main drive where Big Sur 11.5.0 is running
and a SSD 860 EVO 1TB, there I have other macOS versions for testing

So to jump in on the tests for Antelope on TB3, on my Z170X-Designare w Flashed Titan Ridge v2 on OC 0.6.8/Big Sur 11.2.3 I can get into Big Sur with:

BIOS:
VT-D - Enabled

Config.plist:
- DisableIOMapper: disabled
- dart=0: disabled

BUT

I lose all USB ports when DisableIOMapper is disabled so I cannot actually get into the OS aside from login screen :crazy:.

UPDATE:
Updated OC to 0.7.0 and Big Sur to 11.4 and same results with my system, no USB.

Last edited:
Elias --> no problem (flashed Titan Ridge firmware)
  • Inqnuam --> no problem (flashed Titan Ridge firmware)
  • Me --> no problem (flashed Titan Ridge firmware)
  • We are all running Big Sur 11.4 or 11.5

@CaseySJ

Another data point for your TB Apple Ethernet adapter work.

I plugged a Cable Matters TB3 to TB adapter into the lower TB3 port and plugged an old TB Apple Ethernet converter into it.

I enabled VT-d in BIOS, unchecked DisableIOMapper and removed dart=0, I was one of those who lost board Ethernet and WiFi, but the TB Apple Ethernet was active.

If I uncheck DisableIOMapper, but use dart=0, board Ethernet and WiFi are active, but TB Apple Ethernet is inactive (no driver per System Info -> PCI.

If I check DisableIOMapper, but remove dart=0, board Ethernet and WiFi are active, but TB Apple Ethernet is inactive (no driver per System Info -> PCI.

I haven't found the combo that keeps board Ethernet, WiFi and TB Apple Ethernet active.

iMac19,1, i9-9900K, RX-580, Fenvi T919, Big Sur 11.4, OC 0.7.0, BIOS F9i (not patched), flashed TR firmware 33.

While booting, the Gigabyte BIOS splash screen displays the message: "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet (BCM57762) is detected (PCI-E)" It detects the Apple Ethernet chip. Why display this message?

Am I seeing it correctly that the users who are losing network with VT-D disabled all have 9900k?
The sample size is too small to draw a conclusion. @Inqnuam has the i9-9900KF (no iGPU), but everything still works when AppleVTD is present.

Once a few more users update their BIOS let’s see if a pattern emerges.

So to jump in on the tests for Antelope on TB3, on my Z170X-Designare w Flashed Titan Ridge v2 on OC 0.6.8/Big Sur 11.2.3 I can get into Big Sur with:

BIOS:
VT-D - Enabled

Config.plist:
- DisableIOMapper: disabled
- dart=0: disabled

BUT

I lose all USB ports when DisableIOMapper is disabled so I cannot actually get into the OS aside from login screen :crazy:.

UPDATE:
Updated OC to 0.7.0 and Big Sur to 11.4 and same results with my system, no USB.
Do Ethernet and WiFi still work? As for USB, are you using USBInjectAll or USBPorts? Are the number of ports limited to 15 and “XhciPortLimit” is unchecked?

Hello @SCaRL3T,

Some questions and suggestions:
  • Which version of BIOS is installed?
BIOS F9i
  • Which slot is the Fenvi plugged into?
PCIex1
  • Have you tried moving Fenvi to another slot?
no the other is block by the GPU (SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G)
  • Have you tried CMOS Reset?
yes
  • What other PCIe cards are installed?
none
  • How many NVMe SSDs are installed?
  • What are the makes/models of all NVMe SSDs?
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 (1 To) --> macOs
SanDisk Extreme PRO M.2 NVMe 3D (1To) --> data

Do Ethernet and WiFi still work? As for USB, are you using USBInjectAll or USBPorts? Are the number of ports limited to 15 and “XhciPortLimit” is unchecked?
Yes. I have tried almost every combination so far that I can think of. Each time results in these errors being thrown during boot. Only occurs when DisableIOMapper is unchecked:
IMG_2485.PNG

IMG_2488.PNG

I cannot tell if networking works since it wont let me log in.

Back