Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

With BIOS modified firmware, I have tried booting to Windows, from cold boot and thunderbolt eGPU plugged before :
  • During post boot (prior OpenCore picker), eGPU discrete card (RX580) fans have increased speed ... good sign !
  • Few time after Windows desktop appearing, eGPU fans has shortly speedly spinned and then stopped
  • eGPU is connected and ready to go :)
Bad news are :
  • when I have both thunderbolt Ethernet and eGPU devices connected (Port 1 and 2) before boot, due to a lack of memory ressources : both can't connect under Windows (only one device at same time works)
  • Hot plug doesn't work (maybe something to do on SSDT... this may solve previous point)
  • From a warm boot and eGPU already plugged, Opencore doesn't boot, I have black screen with a white cursor > System seem to be stucked
Let me check Windows behavior on my Test Bench. Will update this post shortly.

Update (Windows 10):
  • Downloaded and installed Windows Thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte's Z390 Designare support page.
  • Now Apple TB-to-GbE adapter works when connected before boot (hot plug not functional with modified Titan Ridge firmware).
  • PowerColor Gaming Station X does not connect (either before boot or hot plug). No other TB device connected.
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro does not connect (either before boot or hot plug). No other TB device connected.

Last edited:
@Inqnuam,

When we delete ThunderboltDROM from our SSDT, macOS then picks it up from the Titan Ridge firmware. That firmware does not have TB Port 7 enabled. But if we replace the firmware's DROM section with an "empty" DROM, then Apple's PEI/DXE Thunderbolt drivers will generate a fully functional DROM automatically.

So we just need to flash the attached modified NVM33. This one contains the so-called "empty" or "light" DROM.
Theres any difference by adding DROM in SSDT like before and loading it with Apple's PEI/DXE TB drivers? Any benefices with the 2nd method?

@yosoyoco and any else have network issues after enabling AppleVTD,

Can you verify under MaciASL, if you have DMAR table appearing like that :

I can confirm that I do have the DMAR table in MacIASL and I do not have anything in the ACPI-->Delete portion of my config for OC.

Theres any difference by adding DROM in SSDT like before and loading it with Apple's PEI/DXE TB drivers? Any benefices with the 2nd method?
I think it might be better to specify ThunderboltDROM in SSDT. So just add ThunderboltDROM back into SSDT and reboot.

Let me check Windows behavior on my Test Bench. Will update this post shortly.

Update (Windows 10):
  • Downloaded and installed Windows Thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte's Z390 Designare support page.
  • Now Apple TB-to-GbE adapter works when connected before boot (hot plug not functional with modified Titan Ridge firmware).
  • PowerColor Gaming Station X does not connect (either before boot or hot plug). No other TB device connected.
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro does not connect (either before boot or hot plug). No other TB device connected.
Could you try, on BIOS setting, enabling Thunderbolt Vt-d security and change to Boot once ?

Could you try, on BIOS setting, enabling Thunderbolt Vt-d security and change to Boot once ?
Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro is working now in Windows 10 with the two BIOS changes (Thunderbolt Vt-d Security enabled, and Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once)!

Now going to reboot and check PowerColor Gaming Station X eGPU...

Update: PowerColor Gaming Station X not working in Windows (P.S. I don't care :))

Last edited:
Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro is working now in Windows 10 with the two BIOS changes (Thunderbolt Vt-d Security enabled, and Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once)!

Now going to reboot and check PowerColor Gaming Station X eGPU...

Update: PowerColor Gaming Station X not working in Windows (P.S. I don't care :))
:lol: That's right, we don't care about an eGPU on a Hackintosh with 3 long port Pcie (.. and about windows :angel: ) !

For information, I have all my eGPU box onboard devices working. I have the following windows drivers and have to wait long time :confused: (around 1 mn on windows desktop) :

Intel Corp.
12/04/2020

:lol: That's right, we don't care about an eGPU on a Hackintosh with 3 long port Pcie (.. and about windows :angel: ) !

For information, I have all my eGPU box onboard devices working. I have the following windows drivers and have to wait long time :confused: (around 1 mn on windows desktop) :

Intel Corp.
12/04/2020
Just to clarify: All of my Thunderbolt devices (including eGPU) work in macOS with the flashed Titan Ridge firmware. I believe these devices will work in Windows with the original firmware.

Back