Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Success! Thanks so much for helping me out @CaseySJ and @Elias64Fr! Working computer in basically no time. Plus I learned a ton.

Attachments

• 5EFBDF87-4C54-48F6-B0E1-7D44EF238D72.jpeg
    5EFBDF87-4C54-48F6-B0E1-7D44EF238D72.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 72
Success! Thanks so much for helping me out @CaseySJ and @Elias64Fr! Working computer in basically no time. Plus I learned a ton.
Awesome!! Glad the ordeal is over and, yes, adversity is a powerful educator. And you kept your cool through all of this, which is just great. :)

P.S. I've also deleted the BIOS image.

Not that this wasn't fun, but is there a way to duplicate a working BIOS to the backup chip so the fallback will actually work next time I screw up a BIOS update?

Not that this wasn't fun, but is there a way to duplicate a working BIOS to the backup chip so the fallback will actually work next time I screw up a BIOS update?
That would be pushing our luck! When it comes to matters of this kind, we should do only the minimum that is necessary. The backup BIOS should be perfectly fine; the issue is that the system did not automatically fallback to the backup BIOS. This does not mean the backup BIOS is defective. It just means that the conditions that would normally trigger a fallback were not triggered.

However, we can always do something like this:
  • Install the official BIOS F9i (available from Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1) with Q-Flash (from BIOS Setup).
  • During the upgrade procedure, I believe you'll be asked whether you want to update the Backup BIOS as well.
    • However, I would also advise against doing this.

@CaseySJ
Re: "Is this Guide Applicable to Other Configurations?
Although the Guide has been tested only with the configuration stated in the Components section, it should be applicable to the following other configurations..."

Would this include my Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 (sans onboard WiFi)?

That would be pushing our luck! When it comes to matters of this kind, we should do only the minimum that is necessary. The backup BIOS should be perfectly fine; the issue is that the system did not automatically fallback to the backup BIOS. This does not mean the backup BIOS is defective. It just means that the conditions that would normally trigger a fallback were not triggered.

However, we can always do something like this:
  • Install the official BIOS F9i (available from Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1) with Q-Flash (from BIOS Setup).
  • During the upgrade procedure, I believe you'll be asked whether you want to update the Backup BIOS as well.
    • However, I would also advise against doing this.
Ok, I'll take your advice and leave it be.

Btw I couldn't figure out how you meant I should do the Y split so I did this :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_6160.jpg
    IMG_6160.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 66
@CaseySJ
Re: "Is this Guide Applicable to Other Configurations?
Although the Guide has been tested only with the configuration stated in the Components section, it should be applicable to the following other configurations..."

Would this include my Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 (sans onboard WiFi)?
Ha, not quite. That section is for owners of the same Z390 Designare, but with slightly different other components.

Back