Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Jumper wires will suffice, and that alternative is preferred. Splitting the pins can be error prone.

Okay, you’re not a rookie at this! Now I feel better.

Those can be left in.

The BIOS files cannot be used! I have extracted the image from my chip and will send that image to you. But please read the existing contents of the chip three times, compute their checksums with the shasum command, and post those checksums.

Will post BIOS image once I’m home. Enjoying a lovely latté at the moment.

UPDATE:
BIOS F9i flashrom image (with latest Intel Microcode) is attached. This can only be applied using an external SPI ROM writer.
@Sapricot @CaseySJ

Like said in my previous post here, you loose your Onboard Gigabit Ethernet MAC address if you flash Gigabyte downloaded BIOS firmware (Personal MAC address is written on GBe Region @ 0x1000)

You should read current corrupted firmware, open it with Hexedit, jumps to 0x1000 address and extract datas from 0x1000 to 0x2FFF, then copy them on same field on the downloaded BIOS firmware (.. maybe 6 first byte should be good enough but not tested)

@CaseySJ, please don't post your personal firmware with your included MAC address ;)

Does this process you are currently working on/describing mean that if you are successful we could flash the BIOS with the existing Gigabyte tool and have full Thunderbolt capability or do you still have to flash the Thunderbolt firmware separately.

Does this process you are currently working on/describing mean that if you are successful we could flash the BIOS with the existing Gigabyte tool and have full Thunderbolt capability or do you still have to flash the Thunderbolt firmware separately.
You still need to flash Thunderbolt firmware separately.

@Sapricot @CaseySJ

Like said in my previous post here, you loose your Onboard Gigabit Ethernet MAC address if you flash Gigabyte downloaded BIOS firmware (Personal MAC address is written on GBe Region @ 0x1000)

You should read current corrupted firmware, open it with Hexedit, jumps to 0x1000 address and extract datas from 0x1000 to 0x2FFF, then copy them on same field on the downloaded BIOS firmware (.. maybe 6 first byte should be good enough but not tested)
Hello Elias,

When you say "copy them on same field on the downloaded BIOS firmware" do you mean the BIOS file I posted above, which was extracted using CH341a SPI ROM reader?

@CaseySJ, please don't post your personal firmware with your included MAC address ;)
Once @Sapricot downloads the file, I'll remove it.

Please see this post:

@Sapricot @CaseySJ

Thanks for helping out Elias!

Amazon just delivered the clip and wires (God I love same day delivery). Will try reading the chip after dinner and post results. Fingers crossed I don’t screw up.

@CaseySJ thanks! I'll post my bios once I have a solid checksum-matched read.

@CaseySJ Managed to get a good connection on the second attempt. Checksums matched. Here's the result.

@Sapricot,

Please see if you can download and unzip this file without error. If so, then proceed to flash it. Per Elias, I have copied the segment from 0x1000 to 0x2FFF from your (corrupt) file into my working file and attached it here.

Let's see if this works...

The command to write this file is:

Raspberry Pi:
sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=4096 -c MX25L12835F/MX25L12845E/MX25L12865E -w bios-sapricot-mod.bin

CH341a USB reader/writer:
sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -c MX25L12835F/MX25L12845E/MX25L12865E -w bios-sapricot-mod.bin

If you encounter any errors, stop and let us know.

(FILE DELETED)

Last edited:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=4096 -c MX25L12835F/MX25L12845E/MX25L12865E -w bios-sapricot-mod.bin flashrom on Linux 5.10.17-v7l+ (armv7l) flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns). Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L12835F/MX25L12845E/MX25L12865E" (16384 kB, SPI) on linux_spi. Reading old flash chip contents... done. Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done. Verifying flash... VERIFIED

Time to hook stuff up again and give it a try I guess. Fingers crossed.

Back