Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello everyone. I've gone down a rabbit hole trying to run diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`from Terminal in Big Sur. The +/- option is greyed out no matter the admin account I'm using:

View attachment 521777
Have you disabled SecureBoot mode and SIP (csrutil) in the EFI?

When you have a chance could you post your Geekbench metal/opencl scores? And if you use resolve could you post your resolve "Candle Bench" score? Thanks!
I don't use Resolve, but here are my Geekbench scores.

ScreenShot1.jpg
ScreenShot2.jpg

EDIT:
Had a much better Metal score. Forgot to disable virus software on first round.

ScreenShot3.jpg

Last edited:
Have you disabled SecureBoot mode and SIP (csrutil) in the EFI?
Nope: SecureBootModel = Disabled
I'll try disabling SPI and see what's up after that.

Last edited:
Have you tried disabling Gatekeeper in Hackintool or Terminal? I don't know that it will help but its worth a shot.
I'll give it a try. FWIW, when installing and setting up my apps, I was able to change items in System Preferences<Security & Privacy<Files & Folders.

Update: No change.
Update: "Fixed" it by wiping another 860, installing Big Sur, then using Migration Assistant. Unfortunately, my CCC6 BS clone was not bootable.

Last edited:
I know this is very broad/generic question, but is anyone else having random freezing issues with OC0.7.0? My hackintosh is my daily driver and has been really stable, but with the OC0.7.0 build it randomly gives the beach-ball :beachball:of death and then locks up. The only option is a hard reset. I've turned off the power supply, reset the NVRAM, cleared the system cache multiple times but nothing seems to fix it. I'm going to drop back to OC0.6.9 to see if that fixes it.

I know this is very broad/generic question, but is anyone else having random freezing issues with OC0.7.0? My hackintosh is my daily driver and has been really stable, but with the OC0.7.0 build it randomly gives the beach-ball :beachball:of death and then locks up. The only option is a hard reset. I've turned off the power supply, reset the NVRAM, cleared the system cache multiple times but nothing seems to fix it. I'm going to drop back to OC0.6.9 to see if that fixes it.
Some users had to disable NVMeFix.kext when 0.6.9 was released. Although there’s a newer version in 0.7.0, it may also need to be disabled (in certain circumstances).

Some users had to disable NVMeFix.kext when 0.6.9 was released. Although there’s a newer version in 0.7.0, it may also need to be disabled (in certain circumstances).
I reverted to 0.6.9 and my system is stable once again. I checked the kexts and NVMeFix.kext is enabled in both 0.6.9 and 0.7.0. I'll stick with 0.6.9 for now and test 0.7.0 with NVMeFix.kext disabled later this evening.

I reverted to 0.6.9 and my system is stable once again. I checked the kexts and NVMeFix.kext is enabled in both 0.6.9 and 0.7.0. I'll stick with 0.6.9 for now and test 0.7.0 with NVMeFix.kext disabled later this evening.
If you can identify or isolate the specific parameter or file in 0.7.0 that is causing instability, please let us know. This could be quite helpful to others.

** Importing Mac Thunderbolt PEI/DXE Drivers into Gigabyte BIOS **
Experiment Update #1

I know there's a lot of interest in this experiment so I'll provide regular updates.

UPDATE #1:
  • Preparation:
    • Made a backup of the motherboard BIOS with a CH341a SPI ROM reader. This is just a precaution.
    • Flashed the new BIOS using Q-Flash (from BIOS Setup). An external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer is not needed because Elias has modified the new BIOS to be recognized/validated by Q-Flash.
    • Installed a modified Thunderbolt SSDT that removes all device properties except the two basic ones:
      • PCI-Thunderbolt
      • PciHotplugCapable
  • Configuration:
    • My Z390 Designare Test Bench has the following configuration:
      • Titan Ridge NVM33 modified firmware (from March 2020)
      • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
      • All BIOS parameters same as Post #1
      • Big Sur 11.5 Public Beta 2
    • This configuration may be different from Elias'.
  • Results:
    • All Thunderbolt NHI (Native Host Interface) device properties are automatically populated as shown below. This is the first time we've seen this in Hackintosh history! This includes:
      1. pathcr
      2. TBTDPLowToHigh
      3. TBTFlags
      4. linkDetails
      5. ThunderboltUUID
      6. pathcrumbsv2 (this is typically created when a Thunderbolt device is connected before boot)
      7. ThunderboltDROM
      8. sccOffset
      9. ThunderboltConfig
    • The Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter does not (yet) work in Big Sur. This may be due to one or more configuration differences as noted above.
    • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro works correctly.

Next update soon.
Interim Update 1A:
  • ThunderboltUUIDin IOReg is currently zero.
    • We want to address this problem first.
  • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter is not working in Big Sur.
    • We will address this problem second.

Last edited:
I'll give it a try. FWIW, when installing and setting up my apps, I was able to change items in System Preferences<Security & Privacy<Files & Folders.

Update: No change.
Update: "Fixed" it by wiping another 860, installing Big Sur, then using Migration Assistant. Unfortunately, my CCC6 BS clone was not bootable.
New clean Big Sur installation still yields this when I try to run the Reset User Permissions command:

Attachments

• Only in Big Sur.png
    Only in Big Sur.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 81
  • This doesn't happen in Mojave.png
    This doesn't happen in Mojave.png
    313.7 KB · Views: 75
Back